Dell Hating

Ogre67

Limp Gawd
You know I see a whole lot of you really taking advantage of Dell. The worst thing is its not even like you are thanking Dell for the best customer service possible. At the very least say Dell is a bunch of idiots for accepting back this many monitors, but they do stand by their customer service.

I read post after post about people sending back monitors untill they get the perfect one. I could have sworn ALL lcds had a chance of a few bad pixels, hell isnt the return policy on most LCDS like minimum 6 dead pixels?

Then the allways popular "I spent 800 bucks and I want perfection" thing comes up. Unless I am mistaken this is by far the best value in a gaming LCD there has ever been. Hell I looked at on newegg and most are like 1200 and all those are 25ms. So theres not even a close competitor for the price.

I just dont see why you are demanding perfection from the cheapest and best spec LCD in that category.

Now for those of you who do have serious issues with your 2001 fp nothing wrong with sending them back. The rest of you with your 1 dead pixel and keep returning it untill you get perfection at least have the decency to say Dell has the best damn support youve ever seen in your life.

I guess the angst just comes from the fact its gone a little past the bargain to the raping of Dell, at least give a reach around. It wouldent be bad if this was 5 years ago and Dell was the giant it once was but has some decency and dont exploit a system just because you can.

This is why great customer programs get shut down, because people exploit them, so the rest of us get screwed by the few.
Ogre

"This is why great customer programs get shut down, because people exploit them, so the rest of us get screwed by the few"

I fully agree. I have bought two Dimensions from Dell and they where great about them even giving me a huge discount on one simply after asking for a quiter HD. I hope this trend of sending back all these monitors back over 2 dead pixels when they tech is still so young ends before it does end Dells sometime aggravating but above most other customer service incentives.

Techies only represent a small minority compared to most of Dell's customers. Think the small businesses and larger care about a few dead pixels? Nah.

I just bought a 2001fp over the 18inch. I wasn't going to spend that much but because it was a great deal and I knew dell wanted me to feel like I got my money's worth, I spent even more money with them. So their policy worked for them.

I like having a company tell me that they want me to get my $750 worth.

Cmon say it outloud, I am worth great customer service. Now, look in a mirror, I am WORTH great customer service. :)

Wow, now if only people would make a stand on something that actually matters - and still be so passionate about their beliefs.

uh-oh here comes all the tough guys out of their parent's basements...

I do agree with the post, but you have to admit Dell's Customer service is pretty crappy these days. Especially due to the indian reps. I honestly get so frustrated trying to explain my situation to them. Back then , Dell had one of the best customer service - but these days, they're getting too big - but can't keep up the demand for quality customer care.

Last night I started the phone "mission" at 7pm, I ended up talking to them 'till 3am. Every time I call, I end up waiting on hold for atleast 40 minutes - and for some reason these people have no clue on working the phone system or something because they keep transferring me to some weird department. So I end up calling back and waiting another 40 minutes. Then another hour or so to explain everything. They just don't seem to understand. I told the rep that my backlight is leaking and is uneven, and he tells me to adjust the brightness of the monitor and see if that fixes it.... errr. I've been as patient as I can with Dell, but it's hard to do so when their support is so mediocre at best. So yesterday, I ended up yelling at them like a maniac because I was so fed up. I feel bad, but it gets the job done. oh well.

And also I agree that it's not right to return and exchange for every minor issue. But a good portion of the monitors that they ship out have some serious problems. I'm receiving my 5th replacement tomorrow. All the 4 previous ones had serious backlighting issues, and if not the backlighting - it had an average of 10+ dead/stuck pixels.

So you can't blame a customer (who's paying $800+ for it) to desire a some-what perfect monitor.

Originally posted by Ogre67
I just dont see why you are demanding perfection from the cheapest and best spec LCD in that category.

okay, I'll tell you why...

because $800 bones doesnt come too easy for me so you're damn right I'm going to expect perfection for every nickel's worth of my money.

thats why, period.

now, if Dell was honest and outright explained in their product details something to the effect of:

"this fabulous 20" LCD has blah, blah blah...... but, be fair warned that it could come with either one (or more) dead pixel(s) and/or it could come with some backlighting issues so its just a crap-shoot as to what you'll get....."

now, say that in the product description and I wont expect perfection for my $800 bones. until then, I have every freakin' right to expect perfection for my money.

Oh wow, now I am enlightened, so the 50 people or less that demand perfection are going to bring down the almighty Dell. There customer support sucks anyway so no loss there. Damn, I am not going to sleep tonight knowing I may be bringing down Dell with my one single return and my thousand of dollars worth of purchases, and everyone else is paying for my abuse of the system.

Not only that the people at Dell are smart business people, if they thought the return policy even put a scratch in there profit margin you can be sure they would change it.

You must be stuck with a crap LCD to start a thread like this. Don't take it out on people like us. You are the one who must have layed down to get walked on. If you don't like demanding perfection for your buck thats your problem and loss. Dell has no mention of getting a LCD with bad pixels they don't even hint at it. Oh wait let me guess everyone should know about bad pixels right! Because you say they should.

Dont exploit a system just because you can.

Why the hell not? I bought from Dell because of their policy, Dell knows people buy from them for these policies and Dell is perfectly capable of limiting these policies. You act as if Dell is some poor little child incapable of defending itself. Dell has a dead pixel policy, obviously they have decided it is in their best interest to not enforce it within the first 30 days. Why shouldn't I take advantage of that? Because they'll take it away? But if I couldn't use it to begin with, why would I care if they take it away?

Oh, and the "its cheap" argument is crap. I don't care how much something costs, I expect it to product to come as sold, not defective. If they want to advertise it as a value product that comes with defects more power to them. In the mean time, however, it'd be stupid not to expect perfection.

I 100% agree with SanGreal.

Dell has a consumer friendly policy which is why I purchased two 2001FPs from them without attempting to see one in person. Without this policy they wouldn't have gotten my cash. And I took advantage of their exchange/return policy.. I exchanged one, that had 19 stuck sub-pixels and poor back lighting for one that is near perfect.

Dell's consumer policy is doing what it supposed to do.

Originally posted by kmeson
I 100% agree with SanGreal.

Dell has a consumer friendly policy which is why I purchased two 2001FPs from them without attempting to see one in person. Without this policy they wouldn't have gotten my cash. And I took advantage of their exchange/return policy.. I exchanged one, that had 19 stuck sub-pixels and poor back lighting for one that is near perfect.

Dell's consumer policy is doing what it supposed to do.

You're talking about different policies. You took advantage (and rightly so) of their dead pixel policy. They're talking about the 30-day customer satisfaction guarantee, by which you can return the product for any reason -- even a single stuck black pixel.

Lots of people find a single pixel, whine and moan about it, and then return it 17 times. Dell can accept them because they can afford the cost. . . but the OP is right. . . they will eventually stop because it will cease to benefit them anymore.

"this fabulous 20" LCD has blah, blah blah...... but, be fair warned that it could come with either one (or more) dead pixel(s) and/or it could come with some backlighting issues so its just a crap-shoot as to what you'll get....."

Its known or should be at least that LCDS come with bad pixels. Its like WTF I have to change the oil in my car thats BS!! It never said anywhere I need to change the oil every 3k miles. I want to return my car.

Of course theres a limit to how many bad pixels to accept. Hence the dead pixel policies that exist.

You must be stuck with a crap LCD to start a thread like this. Don't take it out on people like us. You are the one who must have layed down to get walked on. If you don't like demanding perfection for your buck thats your problem and loss. Dell has no mention of getting a LCD with bad pixels they don't even hint at it. Oh wait let me guess everyone should know about bad pixels right! Because you say they should.

I dont even own one. I demand a decent product for the price. Im sorry if you think 1 dead pixel on the cheapest and best peforming LCD to ever exist is crap you are a bit anal.

Im not advocating not sending back LCD's with a legit amout of dead pixels, horrible backlighting etc. I am speaking to those who post up "I sent back my 3rd 1 bad pixel LCD today, hopefully Ill get a perfect one next, ohh and Dell's Customer support sucks!"

I could be wrong, maybe Dell doesnt give a damn, it doesnt hit their profit margin etc. Yet all this is going to do in the end if it happens product after product is the great customer service they have is going to turn to crap, because theyll think everyone is trying to scam them. I guess only time will tell.

Maybe the thing is I have some morals. Just imagine you own your own business and you have a bunch of people screwing you over on some BS when you allready offer them a great product at a great price.

Bottom line is everyone is going to have their own viewpoint and thats not going to be changed. Yet you cannot dispute this one fact, Dell has the best customer support you could possibly want. So at least in your next post complaining about your next non perfect LCD at least thank Dell for taking it in the ass to make you happy.

Ogre

Ok you are starting to make yourself look like a fool and I will add to that.

Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion as I am intitled to mine about your post.

1. If you are old enough to drive you will notice a thing called a manual that comes with your car that tells you to change the oil everyy 3000. Cars are very popular hence the given knowledge base. LCD's are not, are are relatively new in the market place compared to CRT's. Go ask your Grandma if she know about the oil in the car, or your view of the bad pixel policy.!

2. You assume I have not praised Dell for great customer service.
Another foolish assumption! go here,

http://www.epinions.com/content_126646521476

and read carefully you it was written before your post, so don't go there. Maybe you should try and be more positive with your life it helps you live longer (stressreducer).

Enough said on the subject! Look at the big picture not your own little version of it.

Maybe the thing is I have some morals.

tell ya what.

you go ahead with your "morals". meantime, I'll keep expecting the absolutely very best for my dollar and we'll all be happy.

then again, I have no idea why I'm wasting my keystrokes on someone like you because you obviously dont have one of these LCDs so therefore you havent been through the hell that some of us (like myself) have.

Originally posted by ozziegn
tell ya what.

you go ahead with your "morals". meantime, I'll keep expecting the absolutely very best for my dollar and we'll all be happy.

then again, I have no idea why I'm wasting my keystrokes on someone like you because you obviously dont have one of these LCDs so therefore you havent been through the hell that some of us (like myself) have.

Well if youve been through so much trouble ie more then one bad pixel then this post has nothing to do with you. I swear ive stated twice the post was aimed at the 1 bad pixel crowd. If not then you have a whole life of dissapointment waiting for you. You know the stupid thing is even with a few dead pixels you ARE getting the very best for your dollar. Just name a competing LCD and even those might have dead pixels.

1. If you are old enough to drive you will notice a thing called a manual that comes with your car that tells you to change the oil everyy 3000. Cars are very popular hence the given knowledge base. LCD's are not, are are relatively new in the market place compared to CRT's. Go ask your Grandma if she know about the oil in the car, or your view of the bad pixel policy.!

And if you are in the market for a LCD you should know that a few dead pixels are expected. FEW if you have 10 dead pixels send that thing back, if you have 1 or 2 you should keep it.

2. You assume I have not praised Dell for great customer service.

I didnt name anyone specificly, but most of the hardcore people who return them time and time again seem to have the "Dell sucks" ingrained into them.

Furthermore if you did say Dell had great customer service good because they do. I just cant take both the bashing of Dell's customer service and the taking advantage of the loophole. One or the other is fine but not both.

Originally posted by ozziegn

now, if Dell was honest and outright explained in their product details something to the effect of:

now, say that in the product description and I wont expect perfection for my $800 bones. until then, I have every freakin' right to expect perfection for my money.

haha good damn point man

Originally posted by Techx
haha good damn point man

Other than the backlight issue, which was unspecified, they do have a dead-pixel return policy. . . which translates into: "We know you could have some dead pixels, but we're happy if you've got 7 or less. More than that, alright we feel guilty enough to replace it."

So, you know that you could have some trash pixels, which is what I think the OP was trying to talk about -- using the 30 policy to overrule the "<7 pixels = no return" issue.

Unfortunately everyone is disregarding this now.

i just bought one and my first one was a great one no dead pix or nothing

and i am going to order another one soon
i want duel's

firebomb

Other than the backlight issue, which was unspecified, they do have a dead-pixel return policy. . . which translates into: "We know you could have some dead pixels, but we're happy if you've got 7 or less. More than that, alright we feel guilty enough to replace it."

And where on the Dell advertisement for this monitor is the dead pixel policy?

And if you are in the market for a LCD you should know that a few dead pixels are expected. FEW if you have 10 dead pixels send that thing back, if you have 1 or 2 you should keep it.

Bull@#@t! quit trying to tell everyone what they should know.

The computer enthusiast should know about dead pixels, but the average non geek who just wants a big monitor, does not even know what a pixel is. Just because "you" know about bad pixels does not mean everyone should know about it. You need to look from the the perspective of a person that knows nothing about computers or LCD's and just wants the fastest biggest thing. Just because these people are stupid when it comes to knowledge of computers does not mean they like to be surprised by what could be perceived as a defect to them. No where does it state on the advertisement of this monitor (Dell 2001FP) that bad pixels are too be expected. So how are these non geeks made aware of this inherent problem with LCD's. I don't see any stories on the news about it or read it it any non nerd mag. You need to stop assuming that everyone knows what you know!

hey, well most of these lcds are coming with messed up backlighting.. which is in their warranty. So even if I had 1 dead pixel and had backlight leakage I would still send it back...

as for people taking advantage of dell ? so what? Its the company that is taking them back and sending replacments.. if they are being ripped off they would STOP AND DO THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER company out there..

Originally posted by stormer2k4

as for people taking advantage of dell ? so what? Its the company that is taking them back and sending replacments.. if they are being ripped off they would STOP AND DO THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER company out there..

Damn, no wonder my Dell stock isn't going up. :mad:

I dont agree with anyone "taking advantage" of a company just cause its within their will to do so. Having said that I have just returned my 2001fp I bought earlier this month. It has a very noticeable backlight problem and 2 dead pixels with 1 in a place I just cant ignore.

I have well over 200 laptops in my possession (at work). I did a check the other day on most of them for dead pixels. All have 14 to 15 inch screens (IBMs, Dells, and Panasonics). I could not find one dead pixel on any of them. I checked well over a hundred screens. I understand that it is harder to get a dead-pixel free display the higher in size you go, but getting a monitor at any size with any dead pixels is unacceptable to me now. Dell might have a policy about dead-pixels, but its hard for me to accept it, thus I doubt I will ever buy a LCD monitor unless I can see it first, or know in advance it is pixel-death free. These LCDs are cherished like diamonds to some people around here. Interesting, that before you buy a diamond from a reputable company, you usually get a listing of its cut, clarity, color, carat weight....and flaws. Why Dell and others cant do the same with LCDs' dead-pixel counts, I dont know.

phas3d

To me, a dead pixel is just not right, even 1. Now I realize that nothing ever has a 0% defect rating, but its visual appearance which matters, not its true defective rate.

If part of the monitor was broken, but it wasn't visually apparent, and the monitor worked fine, I wouldn't care. But I can see the dead pixel.

An analogy based on food (The following is disgusting, but true)

The FDA has allowances on how many maggots can be included with the food you eat. According to the FDA, for pizza sauce, the manufacturer can include 30 eggs or 2 maggots per every 100 grams for it to be sold. So in a worst cause scenario, if you don't open up your sauce soon, you could have up to 30 maggots crawling around.

Now, the FDA may approve this, but you know what? If I even find one maggot squirming around in my food, I'm not eating it.

Back