Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Are others seeing burn in on their alienwares?
I aggressively turn mine off because of the aforementioned (above) issues with sleep/screensaver on that rig. So I turn it off when I am not using it. I game 90% of time when using it. I've had it for a couple years now - no burn in that I can notice. I will look again closer tonight.

In desktop mode for the past month or so, I'll get this weird flickering at the top one third of the screen

But in games that never shows up only in desktop mode and it's not consistent.

I have just over 6000 hours on mine and there's no burn-in at all, only posted grey but I checked every color. I'm not gentle with the monitor either, I don't hide the taskbar and I use it 10-12 hours per day for work in addition to gaming, youtube, etc.

1697516450866.jpeg

I do have eco mode off so I get more pixel and panel refreshes than you would with it on. (and yes, I adjusted for that when calculating hours on, I know it counts every hour with eco mode off)

Brightness is always set to 50%.

Are others seeing burn in on their alienwares?
I had burn in on mine after about 8 months from my desktop background. It's weird because I rarely left it sit on the desktop and my screen saver kicks in after 5 minutes. I always shut it off if I leave for extended periods as well so that was a real head scratcher considering how noticeable bad it was burned in.

My RMA process wasn't the best but Dell's overnight delivery and turn around time processing it helped. My first one came in a destroyed crappy generic box and the monitor was damaged. The 2nd one also came in a destroyed crappy box but luckily there was no damage to the monitor. It was a refurb from fall of 22 but overall it seems to run better on the newer firmware and oddly has better full screen brightness then my original one in HDR1000.

I do have a weird problem were sometimes it shuts off and won't turn back on till I unplug it. It seems to be a common problem though and it happens maybe couple times a month so I haven't bothered playing lotto again with the RMA.

Yes I've iticed that the HDR brightness feels brighter than before too, wonder if they've tweaked things in the newer firmware here.

I've got quite a lot of burn-in on mine by now.

Not looking forward to the RMA process based on what I have read from many other people.

IMG_0466.jpg

Last edited:
My picture is right after a full panel refresh.

Both the refresh processes seem to do nothing. I mean they run, but they don’t seem to visibly improve the image.

I’ve run the pixel refresh every day like you are supposed to and the panel refresh every 1500 hours also like you are supposed to.

Honestly, it feels like the last panel refresh actually made things worse.

My picture is right after a full panel refresh.

Both the refresh processes seem to do nothing. I mean they run, but they don’t seem to visibly improve the image.

I’ve run the pixel refresh every day like you are supposed to and the panel refresh every 1500 hours also like you are supposed to.

Honestly, it feels like the last panel refresh actually made things worse.
Ooof... Let us know how the RMA goes.

Figured I'd update here too as I noticed that there have been some newer spectral profiles for DisplayCAL in the global db since I last attempted to calibrate using my i1 Display Pro. I use sRGB for my editing work so profiled using the sRGB mode spectral.

VAFUFpn.jpg

I'm now not using Creative Mode in the OSD but instead Custom Colour and manually tuning the RGB values during the DisplayCAL Measurements dialogue to get everything into the green once the brightness and contrast are dialled in to preference. The end result is a near on perfect calibration. I'm also targeting 120cd/m2 luminance whereas [previously I was targeting 90cd/m2. After calibration the rich primary colours of OLED remain, but the actual output is 6500K, 2.2 gamma and 120cd/m2 - Couldn't have hoped for a better result really. For ref also, I am using 10-bit native output at 144Hz. I prefer this as do watch HDR content a lot and it's more me being picky since HDR is 10-bit too. Plus at 144Hz there is less noticeable VRR flicker in dark areas of various games.

And whilst creator Mode in sRGB with a gamma of 2.4 in the OSD is very accurate to the eye and aligns with Dell's calibration sheet that ships with each panel, it's clear that there's room for improvement for those that do want absolute accuracy. The baseline Creator Mode output has more green than red or blue, for example:

QPzgSUc.png

Final CAL screen:

O6iJhZR.png

Figured I'd update here too as I noticed that there have been some newer spectral profiles for DisplayCAL in the global db since I last attempted to calibrate using my i1 Display Pro. I use sRGB for my editing work so profiled using the sRGB mode spectral.

View attachment 613489

I'm now not using Creative Mode in the OSD but instead Custom Colour and manually tuning the RGB values during the DisplayCAL Measurements dialogue to get everything into the green once the brightness and contrast are dialled in to preference. The end result is a near on perfect calibration. I'm also targeting 120cd/m2 luminance whereas [previously I was targeting 90cd/m2. After calibration the rich primary colours of OLED remain, but the actual output is 6500K, 2.2 gamma and 120cd/m2 - Couldn't have hoped for a better result really. For ref also, I am using 10-bit native output at 144Hz. I prefer this as do watch HDR content a lot and it's more me being picky since HDR is 10-bit too. Plus at 144Hz there is less noticeable VRR flicker in dark areas of various games.

And whilst creator Mode in sRGB with a gamma of 2.4 in the OSD is very accurate to the eye and aligns with Dell's calibration sheet that ships with each panel, it's clear that there's room for improvement for those that do want absolute accuracy. The baseline Creator Mode output has more green than red or blue, for example:

View attachment 613488

Final CAL screen:

View attachment 613487

I wouldn't just calibrate white balance on this display to the meter, even with a spectral correction.

There's a pretty big metameric mismatch between this QD-OLED and say a typical LCD.

If I calibrate my QD-OLED and either of my LCD monitors white balance both to D65 with my spectro, they look quite different to the eye. The OOTB white balance on this QD-OLED is actually quite accurate already, and a very very close visual match to my LCDs that were calibrated from my spectro. In my experience you make the QD less accurate if you use a D65 measured white balance.

I would instead visually match your white on the QD to a calibrated LCD, and then use that custom white point for your display profile.

It appears to me that Dell is using a custom white point for their factory calibration to account for the metameric mismatch.

If you compare your current QD-OLED calibration to a typical calibrated LCD, I think you will find that the QD-OLED looks like the white is a bit magenta tinted, since you removed so much green from it.

Last edited:
That would mean using the white balance that is default in Creator Mode (sRGB) - That output looked visually identical to my LG 34UM95-P which was also calibrated with the i1DPro.

So effectively that would mean in DisplayCal, leaving the white balance adjustments (setting to "as measured" aside and just going ahead with the profiling?

Last edited:
Input latency is arguably an important thing. Hopefully one of the channels do a re-review comparing against the DWF which has (had) better input latency.

whats the difference between the two? the F a lower input lag version or something? ^^ i guess that answers that...

That's probably just the fixes in that latest firmware version, not listing all the other fixes that came before it.
as far as i can tell, there is no other versions, this one looks like the first.

Yes downloadable firmwares. Dell have been using newer factory firmwares for ages now, like my monitor was made in August and was running version 204, it had some tweaks to eco mode and panel maintenance prompts etc.

nVidia finally stopped being butts about this? I hope this means we'll start to see firmware updates for other Gsync monitors.

I have just over 6000 hours on mine and there's no burn-in at all, only posted grey but I checked every color. I'm not gentle with the monitor either, I don't hide the taskbar and I use it 10-12 hours per day for work in addition to gaming, youtube, etc.

View attachment 606690
I do have eco mode off so I get more pixel and panel refreshes than you would with it on. (and yes, I adjusted for that when calculating hours on, I know it counts every hour with eco mode off)

Brightness is always set to 50%.
How do you check hours in your monitor?

Yes downloadable firmwares. Dell have been using newer factory firmwares for ages now, like my monitor was made in August and was running version 204, it had some tweaks to eco mode and panel maintenance prompts etc.
Mine is also made in August 2023, but my FW is M0B205 out the box.

This new thing about FW update will definitely up the value of this monitor in the market's eyes🤣

whats the difference between the two? the F a lower input lag version or something? ^^ i guess that answers that...

as far as i can tell, there is no other versions, this one looks like the first.
DWF is 165hz and no gsync module
DW is 175hz and had native hardware gsync module.

By the way, Nvidia gsync website doesn't list DWF as gsync compatible

RTINGs.com updated the input latency as 4.3, 6.5 and 15.5 for 175hz, 120hz and 60hz modes. 4.3ms is a good value despite not being the ultimate latency. But on par with good fast monitors.

nVidia finally stopped being butts about this? I hope this means we'll start to see firmware updates for other Gsync monitors.
Most already had it, my side S28A from Samsung has had 8 updates total I think...the new 106 firmware is a nice upgrade from the 103 my replacement came with last year...pixel refresh options are more intuitive for one

Most already had it, my side S28A from Samsung has had 8 updates total I think...the new 106 firmware is a nice upgrade from the 103 my replacement came with last year...pixel refresh options are more intuitive for one
Your monitor doesn't have hardware gsync like the AW3423DW. No surprise it gets FW updates like many other gsync "compatible" monitors.

So the update informed me that there's no update for my unit. Mine is already on M0B205 A08 August 2023. I'm new to this party.

These is non such info
yup, youre right. i just dug through the manual too and i dont see anyway of displaying it. googling suggested software to try but responses say it didnt work. might need to ask dell if its even possible.

Wow...so awesome. Thank you so much for giving the heads up!

I updated mine - from near launch...never thought I'd be able to have a newer BIOS. This is going to help the quality of life with this monitor so much. THANK YOU!

View attachment 618163
this is where i get stuck, i disabled HDR, uninstalled the HDR calibration app, set it to 60Hz, no NightLight or RTSS running but it still complains
anything you had to disable?

These is non such info

yup, youre right. i just dug through the manual too and i dont see anyway of displaying it. googling suggested software to try but responses say it didnt work. might need to ask dell if its even possible.

you can check it in the service menu

you can check it in the service menu
thats not in the manual, just posting the instructions would have been fine

With the monitor off (power button led off)

1. Press and HOLD the joystick enter button (center)
  2. Press power button ONCE
  3. Once the led light is on, press power button ONE MORE TIME quickly BEFORE the monitor fully boots up
  4. Release joystick button right after you press power button for the second time
  5. Wait for the service menu to load

Back