Dell Alienware 34 Curved QD-OLED Gaming Monitor - AW3423DWF $799

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
Now available direct from Dell via Ebay for $799.

If I hadn't already snagged a Samsung OLED G8 I would be all over this deal.

But if you want to check out the hype of an ultra-wide OLED for under 1k, this is probably a pretty good deal.

You can get them below while the stock lasts. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving all!

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225619208860?epid=24052798177&hash=item3487f3ea9c:g:hmAAAOSwa7ZkqB7k&amdata=enc:AQAIAAABAHQbZnmblNmkcvxq/6TngxoGmakLPatz7+M1rgdsIleyHElsRyuGxI8kdZ0LJTPUFAojepcWzDdJD/Hb7K8XTVuUid47aCH27Mgzf82E8Ox42A+xNHgK7hXuA6gOtxqfQ2fDVYi/PcjQvzB7D/SWu2ZgA7VH0yVqkguNTzgk/uRB5P2/8HgicNd/b7WbuqPy1wGpaG2c9c6jHB0iThqcHjuzV3wEJoJjWunV+1WSfg3uYc6qNhpYOLAyIfoz0t+oLta856WWmLmS5Y5HkwOIPxr3myHvdISIHzAiVW+IhAiqc9osIO0SlkJylW3fjxBSzJBxcSRSJWIwbEVikCJ0GWA=|tkp:Bk9SR7bBrvL_Yg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For anyone with Amex, you may have a $120 off $600 offer that will drop this further direct from Dell. Pretty sure they have it for the same price, they did last I checked anyways.

For anyone with Amex, you may have a $120 off $600 offer that will drop this further direct from Dell. Pretty sure they have it for the same price, they did last I checked anyways.
how? im sitting on so many points idk what to do with em

how? im sitting on so many points idk what to do with em
It's a targeted offer but I always seem to have a couple of them active, log into your account either mobile or web and go to Offers. Then scroll through and look for a $120 off $600 at Dell. For stuff over $1200, you can apply this up to 2x with split payments if you have multiple cards with the offer. All of the Amex offers apply independent of any sales at the retailer, they only care about final charged amount including tax.

just came in today. box was already opened but SN is the same from box and display. Expecting it to be messed up when i hook it up in about an hour.

just came in today. box was already opened but SN is the same from box and display. Expecting it to be messed up when i hook it up in about an hour.
Pictures once you get it hooked up, please! :)

Great price. But there are a slew of new QD-OLED and OLED monitors coming out very shortly, so not sure if it's worth biting on this. I know Asus has 2-3 coming out, and Alienware also in the same boat. 32 inch 4k 240hz displays, and 27 inch 1440p 360hz displays are to be shown at CES, along with ultrawides. Glossy screens coming this time around as well which I'm finally glad to see...Although it seems they are still using the same polarizer method, which means greying screens in bright environments, although the glossy coating will give better contrast regardless. Also new pixel layout for the QD-OLED's, which is an attempt to solve the color fringing on text....

As good a price as this is for a QD-OLED...Honestly, best to wait for the 2nd gen imo. Nice find though.

Yup v2 models are coming out soon which is why the first gen has dropped in price almost in half for some models. If you're only getting an incremental improvement, it might be worth getting one of these monitors unless of course you just want the very best and latest. I'm enjoying my first gen QD-OLED monitor very much even though I know improvements can be made to it for sure.

Hopefully the V2's have less burn-in issues too. It seems to happen around the 3000 hour mark.

I just got it a week ago for $799 fromDell.

Not the brightest monitor in the world but you forget it’s flaws when you’re gaming ina light-controlled room and witness true blacks with HDR1000. Honesty i feel like it’s a HDD -> SSD level upgrade for gaming and kind of a sidegrade for office use. No ragrets.

edit: ok maybe playing side by side you can see a clear difference in quality and what not. Idk if its $1600 worthy when it was new but its noticable.
he monitor on the left is the Alienware, I threw together a side by side setup for Season of discovery for the wife and I.
So yea, Its glossy, Its brighter and darker. Going from the Gigabyte 34" 3440x1440 144hz its not as crazy as a upgrade as i thought it was going to be. Maybe its my game selection (Classic wow, Escape from Tarkov, now Lethal company) but I'm not as blown away as I thought I would be. I spent a total of $80 on the monitor after using my Amex points and while not regretting the decision, kinda let down? maybe i'm missing something. It is pretty though.

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpeg
    IMG_3280.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3279.jpeg
    IMG_3279.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3278.jpeg
    IMG_3278.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
edit: ok maybe playing side by side you can see a clear difference in quality and what not. Idk if its $1600 worthy when it was new but its noticable.
he monitor on the left is the Alienware, I threw together a side by side setup for Season of discovery for the wife and I.
So yea, Its glossy, Its brighter and darker. Going from the Gigabyte 34" 3440x1440 144hz its not as crazy as a upgrade as i thought it was going to be. Maybe its my game selection (Classic wow, Escape from Tarkov, now Lethal company) but I'm not as blown away as I thought I would be. I spent a total of $80 on the monitor after using my Amex points and while not regretting the decision, kinda let down? maybe i'm missing something. It is pretty though.
Nice pics! What I noticed about your room is that it is quite shiny and bright. For an OLED display like that one to really excel you need to control your reflections and lighting. I use my curtains to control the amount of light coming in. If there's excessive light that will cause the blacks on your OLED to turn grey or purple instead.

Try doing a side by side comparison at night time and see if your eyes notice a bigger difference then. Also it helps if you can run the same images at the same time.

In my case with Baldur's Gate 3 I found the most difference in games was for contrast, I can change that setting to the absolute lowest and still see the shadowed image. And I can only push brightness up to around 250 nits before I risk losing details.

You might have to change your settings within your games to take advantage of your new monitor's best strengths.

I'm running the Samsung G8 OLED but I understand that it shares the same panel as the Dell Alienware so picture quality should be quite similar.

I've been tempted to move my LG C2 into an actual TV use and get one of these. Anyone have any thoughts?

I've been tempted to move my LG C2 into an actual TV use and get one of these. Anyone have any thoughts?
LG C2 is an exellent OLED TV.

What you have to consider is you're getting a different experience with an oled monitor like the Dell Alienware 34".

You're getting a 21:9 aspect ratio instead of 16:9 and you're going from 4k resolution down to 3440x1440 which as a side effect will increase framerates on your video card which is pushing fewer pixels. (8m vs 5m).

And also you're going from no curve on the C2 to an 1800R curvature on the Dell.

What this means is in terms of immersiveness I find that the curve plus the ultrawide aspect ratio really work well together to draw you into the action more and the curve helps your eyes from having to track as much to the edges of the screen, you can actually see it in your full field of view with peripheral vision.

In terms of performance you also have the fact that the Dell will run a higher refresh rate 175 hz vs 120hz from the C2 so this will just add to the feeling of responsiveness in video games. Granted it's not as big a jump from 60 to 120hz as 120 to 175 hz but it's there.

For me the 34" ultrawide also feels more comfortable to play on than a 40" + display that feels just a bit too big for desktop usage. But that's subjective so it's really up to how you feel. But if you've got the spare scratch and the discounts are still available on the Dell OLED, you'll probably enjoy an overall gaming experience improvement vs the C2.

The image quality I don't feel will be much different because they're both using OLED screen technology but the feel of the experience will be different using a monitor designed for pc gaming.

LG C2 is an exellent OLED TV.

What you have to consider is you're getting a different experience with an oled monitor like the Dell Alienware 34".

You're getting a 21:9 aspect ratio instead of 16:9 and you're going from 4k resolution down to 3440x1440 which as a side effect will increase framerates on your video card which is pushing fewer pixels. (8m vs 5m).

And also you're going from no curve on the C2 to an 1800R curvature on the Dell.

What this means is in terms of immersiveness I find that the curve plus the ultrawide aspect ratio really work well together to draw you into the action more and the curve helps your eyes from having to track as much to the edges of the screen, you can actually see it in your full field of view with peripheral vision.

In terms of performance you also have the fact that the Dell will run a higher refresh rate 175 hz vs 120hz from the C2 so this will just add to the feeling of responsiveness in video games. Granted it's not as big a jump from 60 to 120hz as 120 to 175 hz but it's there.

For me the 34" ultrawide also feels more comfortable to play on than a 40" + display that feels just a bit too big for desktop usage. But that's subjective so it's really up to how you feel. But if you've got the spare scratch and the discounts are still available on the Dell OLED, you'll probably enjoy an overall gaming experience improvement vs the C2.

The image quality I don't feel will be much different because they're both using OLED screen technology but the feel of the experience will be different using a monitor designed for pc gaming.
Thanks for the reply. I sit back far enough from the C2 to not cause me any issues, but I figured I would get some better performance out of the Dell ultra wide. I will have to think this over a bit longer.

Ended up getting the Alienware. So far I'm impressed. I have enough desk space to use both the C2 and this monitor so I decided on that for now, but the Alienware is my main gaming monitor now.

Ended up getting the Alienware. So far I'm impressed. I have enough desk space to use both the C2 and this monitor so I decided on that for now, but the Alienware is my main gaming monitor now.
Glad you're enjoying your new monitor! Welcome to the PC Gamer OLED Ultrawide master race! :LOL: Hehehe

Reactions: Niner
like this
i do lot of coidng and quality of text is absolutely important. how do these expensive oleds do in text? thanx

i do lot of coidng and quality of text is absolutely important. how do these expensive oleds do in text? thanx
You're going to have text issues with consumer grade OLED monitors because QD-OLED like the one used in the Alienware uses a triangular pixel pattern that causes color fringing around text in Windows.

Until Windows fixes these issues natively in the OS even software solutions that offset text don't seem to help because they don't fix the issue in productivity apps or browsers.

Article: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1682676702

The article does mention that RGB stripe OLEDS do exist that avoid the text issues but they are rare and even more expensive.

Here's an example of one: https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-oled-pa32dc/

Amazon is selling that model for around 3k a pop: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Display...9RkI6ua-tAkR_OZhrPWxshS8N-caAh45EALw_wcB&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You're going to have text issues with consumer grade OLED monitors because QD-OLED like the one used in the Alienware uses a triangular pixel pattern that causes color fringing around text in Windows.

Until Windows fixes these issues natively in the OS even software solutions that offset text don't seem to help because they don't fix the issue in productivity apps or browsers.

The article does mention that RGB stripe OLEDS do exist that avoid the text issues but they are rare and even more expensive.

Here's an example of one: https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-oled-pa32dc/

Amazon is selling that model for around 3k a pop: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Display...9RkI6ua-tAkR_OZhrPWxshS8N-caAh45EALw_wcB&th=1
Those are LG's JOLED panels.

INNOCN sells a 32 inch for about $1000, on Amazon. But it only has USB-C input. Probably doesn't support any form of VRR and probably YMMV on a USB-C to HDMI cable working out.

Philips sells a 27 inch, which you can get on Amazon and B&H. Has regular DP input and HDMI. I don't think it has any VRR. I think it's like $1200

thanks a lot for clarifying. then oled is defintiley out for me.

Back