Dell 700m equivalent??

viper11885

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,

I got a friend that is looking to get the 700m. Are there any other models that I should get him to look at before he makes his purchase??

He is looking for something more on the portability side with performance. He doesn't want anything super small like the ibm x40. So the 700m seems like the best choice right now..

He's looking into getting the 1.8ghz version w/ 512mb ram, etc... and his budget is from $2,000 - $2,500CDN.

This laptop will be brought to and from university quite often during hte school year.

So, are there any suggestions for other brands/models to look into?

Thanks, very appreciated.

Check out the Sony VAIO VGN-S260.

My girlfriend has the S160 and absolutely loves it. I really like it too (when I get to steal it from her). It's got better specs than the 700M and is just a hair bigger (but thinner). Definitely have your friend take a look at it before comitting on the 700m. You might also look at the Fujitsu Lifebook S6000 series or the Dell X300.

Oh, and also the 700m deals absolutely *suck* right now so your bud might want to hold off 'till after Christmas since methinks Dell is price gouging the late shoppers.

Just my .02

If you can get a good deal on the 700m then jump on it. I got mine (specs in sig) for ~900 with tax and shipping.

About the only thing I'd say is an equivalent to the 700m is the Sager 35xx Notebook. Centrino, Radeon 9600, the works. However, if you can sometimes get a MUCH better deal on the 700m.

i'm in a similar boat as your friend.

my heart wants to get a t42 though an edu program for about $1700.

my head tells me im in enough debt and i don't need an expensive laptop since it's only for school type work (enter the 700m). i don't want to make such a purchase without at least handling the laptop first to make sure i dig the ergonomics.

while shopping at best buy recently, i noticed a thin and light gateway and another compaq that seemed to have decent specs and prices (decent for peeps like me who don't game). i don't recall model numbers, but it might behoove your friend to try that avenue to at least get an idea of other options.

Back