Dell 2408WFP Now Available

I have had my 2408 for the last week and have tried each of the color profiles, including the custom settings. Regardless of the settings, reds and greens are extremely blown out. It's as if they are neon. The only exception is with sRGB and then everything is exceptionally dull. I'm sending it back.

Well, I think that everyone has this problem, some people don't like it, some people do. It's a "feature", not a bug :)D) so I don't think that a replacement will be different. Maybe a firmware update will fix that - who knows. The sRGB preset is way under-saturated for everyday use though, so I recommend a custom RGB setting - all the colors bellow 80 if you're not going to calibrated the screen.

That's how I had mine set up until I used the Eye1 Display2 calibration, I set the contrast to 100, brightness to 40 and then Custom RGB colors all set to 75.

Yes, I have noticed a few mentioning this.

How about the banding issue? Anyone else seeing this? Using this, I only see it slightly;
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php#gradient

But using 1920x1080 PNG patterns, it is shown plainly.

for the website test, no noticeable banding, not even if i go real close to the screen and stare.

Those settings have my 2408 color looking amazingly correct, thank you. I'm not a graphic artist or gamer, so they may not work for everyone, but for me it is now excellent.

As for the dead pixels, any suggestions on sending this back? I guess I don't want to get stuck with stuck pixels as those are much worse.

I'm going to hookup the ps3 now and see if I can get the sound to work as some people seem to report an issue with this.

As for the power save issue, to clarify. The LCD stays in power save mode only if I press the off button, leave the computer, come back to the computer and press the on button on the monitor. IF I let windows do it's thing and turn the monitor off, it returns from power save no problem. This is XP with 9700ProAIW latest Catalyst drivers connected via DVI.

hmmmm... i read that the ati drivers now are having issues with opengl games, so i'm hesitant to update to the latest.

using the 7.12 gives me wrong textures in opengl based games.
after totally removing and reinstalling omega 7.12 i solved the power save problem. but like BrianNC said if i turn the monitor off and power it back on again the power save problem comes back. similarly not having the monitor powered on before hitting the computer's power button from a cold boot. :(

More on the power save. When I switch from my PC (DVI) to my ps3 (HDMI) and then immediately back to the PC I sporadically have the power save issue.

Now that I've been working more in MS Office07 products, I notice red glow around the letters, especially the f and t's. I don't see that glow typing in firefox3beta4 (color profile off, which is default) on this reply form in HardForum. This is annoying as my eyes keep on taking double takes. Some fonts make it less noticeable like arial and times, but ones like Calibri, Tahoma, Sylfaen are horrible. I also see it in this program called stylemaster for editing html, MS visual studio as well. Any ideas why the effect is visible in these programs, but not redness around say the text of the "all programs" list in the start menu or the web browser?

As for blu-ray playback on the ps3, I was watching spiderman3 which is 2.40:1 and I could not get it to fill the screen without using the zoom button on the OSD. 1:1 and fill mode were the same, whereas aspect made the image more narrow (larger black bars at the top and bottom). This kinda sucked. The good was the monitor changed to know I was playing a movie and adjusted the settings. Red was really dull so I bumped up the saturation.

I play rainbow6 vegas, and it filled the screen fine with no OSD adjustments neccessary, though the graphics looked blurry...must be the game as it looks the same on my 1080i projection Sony tv (yes I had the ps3 hdmi output set for 1080p). When playing the game the monitor switched to PC mode from video mode which was nice.

I'm going to send this monitor back just because of the dead pixels.....but I'm trying to see now decide if I can get the other issues fixed so I can live with this otherwise very nice monitor.

My setting are R-96 B-92 G-100, Brightness 12, Contrast 50, Sharpness 50.

I'm just curious, but why are people paying $625+ for this monitor when you can get the HP w2408h or Gateway FHD2400 for $500 or less? I've seen all 3 of these monitors and I could not pick it over the w2408h in terms of picture, and certainly not over the FHD2400 in terms of inputs/features.

What is the attraction here?

Well, I just ordered one w/ the 20% coupon that's in the [H]otDeals forum. If it turns out to have problems, I'll just send it back.

Dell gave me the 2408WFP when I RMA'd my 2407WFP. I like that the 2408WFP has two DVI ports. Both of my PCs are connected to it via DVI.

I'm just curious, but why are people paying $625+ for this monitor when you can get the HP w2408h or Gateway FHD2400 for $500 or less? I've seen all 3 of these monitors and I could not pick it over the w2408h in terms of picture, and certainly not over the FHD2400 in terms of inputs/features.

some countries do not carry the Gateway locally, and the HP has a TN panel, does not have as many inputs as the Dell and the warranty is 1 year i believe? not too sure abt the warranty though.

probably because the HP 2408 is a TN panel?

Hello again, been a while since last post and I wanted to give an update on my 2408. Before I got this panel I was very concerned about input lag. I can say that after playing through Doom3 and COD4, I really didn't notice it after the first day and my performance and accuracy was right on. So i can say the the potential input lag is not a problem. Even when scaling is in effect (non standard rez) the panel performed good. Do date I have not been able to find the rainbow effect most users describe. I can however see the banding everyone complains about, but I can live with it.

My panel has no dead pixels, backlight bleed is within tolerance, no buzzing sounds from PS. Overall I am very happy with it. The sloppy buttons on the front however do annoy me. Sometimes I press a button and there is no response, other time I press and it performs actions twice. Oh well ... what I really need to get worked out is below:

Some may remember my last post here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264046&page=22 specifically I was having issues with poor color replication. I have since hardware calibrated and the colors are still off. But something odd happened today. I decided to hook up my DVD player to this panel to compare how it rendered dvd video via HDMI VS media player using the dvd player in PC. If you look at the link to my last post, I had some screenshots of Simpsons Movie where I fealt blues where rendering as green/turquois. When I played the same movie via dvd player through HDMI cable the color replication is perfect. So this gets me wondering ... obviously the 2408 IS capable of correct colors, but why only from an external source via HDMI? Why doesn't Windows via DVI produce correct colors? Is it the DVI interface? Is it the video card? If I bought a video card with HDMI output would this solve my problem? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Before I got this panel I was very concerned about input lag. I can say that after playing through Doom3 and COD4, I really didn't notice it after the first day and my performance and accuracy was right on. So i can say the the potential input lag is not a problem.

When I played the same movie via dvd player through HDMI cable the color replication is perfect. So this gets me wondering ... obviously the 2408 IS capable of correct colors, but why only from an external source via HDMI? Why doesn't Windows via DVI produce correct colors? Is it the DVI interface? Is it the video card? If I bought a video card with HDMI output would this solve my problem? Your thoughts are appreciated.

To get an acceptable result for movies from PC you need an appropriate software player at least. If it doesn't help the next candidate to go to a garbage can is the videocard.
There is noting wrong with DVI.
Video is the strongest point of this monitor. An external source is always better. To utilize the full potential of this monitor you'll need a Blue-ray player connected to DVI. The picture is superb - don't expect anything better from any other VA monitor of this time.
See the test.
HDMI is not suitable for video on this monitor - same for the majority
of popular models (overscan and cropping).

To get an acceptable result for movies from PC you need an appropriate software player at least. If it doesn't help the next candidate to go to a garbage can is the videocard.
There is noting wrong with DVI.
Video is the strongest point of this monitor. An external source is always better. To utilize the full potential of this monitor you'll need a Blue-ray player connected to DVI. The picture is superb - don't expect anything better from any other VA monitor of this time.
See the test.
HDMI is not suitable for video on this monitor - same for the majority
of popular models (overscan and cropping).

I just wanted to be clear that it's not just movies that look off when viewing through windows, its everything... desktop, webpages, games, anything that comes through via DVI from PC. If I look at a webpage I designed in Windows, the colors are off, when I look at same webpage through a different source when connected via HDMI everything looks correct. So why does it only look wrong when coming from PC? This is why I fealt the DVI or videocard was to blame, but I can't be certain. Clearly the panel is capable of producing correct colors, it's only in the Windows environment where things don't look right.

I just wanted to be clear that it's not just movies that look off when viewing through windows, its everything... desktop, webpages, games, anything that comes through via DVI from PC. If I look at a webpage I designed in Windows, the colors are off, when I look at same webpage through a different source when connected via HDMI everything looks correct. So why does it only look wrong when coming from PC? This is why I fealt the DVI or videocard was to blame, but I can't be certain. Clearly the panel is capable of producing correct colors, it's only in the Windows environment where things don't look right.

Try simple manipulations.
Return to factory settings.
Make sure you use desktop mode, not sRGB, not Cool, etc.
Try your PC over HDMI.
Try both DVI.
Try different DVI cable.
Try VGA connection.
Update drivers for your videocard.

Try simple manipulations.
Return to factory settings.
Make sure you use desktop mode, not sRGB, not Cool, etc.
Try your PC over HDMI.
Try both DVI.
Try different DVI cable.
Try VGA connection.
Update drivers for your videocard.

Adjustments using NVidia color control does not help
Factory settings are worse
Set to Desktop profile
PC does not have HDMI output
Tried both, same color
Different DVI cable produces same color
VGA is impossible, no adaptor
Drivers are most recent

I have tried using different Windows ICC color profiles, these profiles no not effect windows, just apps that support it. I guess I'll just have to live with it, that unless the monitor is infact giving bad colors via DVI, I don't know if a replacement would be any better. Thx anyways.

Did your PC work OK with your previous monitor over DVI?
What are your videocard outs - two DVI?

Did your PC work OK with your previous monitor over DVI?
What are your videocard outs - two DVI?

My previous PC had an NEC 22" Pro Series CRT, this Dell is the first LCD i've owned. So I bought a VGA-to-DVI adapter that will allow me to plug in my CRT to the second DVI port on my vid card. The colors is produces are perfect, while the same image on the dell is not good. So I can rule out the vid card and windows. I guess this is just the way the Dell is, maybe a result of the wide gamut. If the wide gamit is to blame, then why does DVD via HDMI look so perfect? If i get a chance, i'll take some photos of each to demonstrate.

probably because the HP 2408 is a TN panel?

The Gateway is a TN panel as well, but why does that matter?

Both the HP and Gateway are 92% gamut, both are faster than the Dell in terms of gaming, both are cheaper, both are easily available in stores so you don't have to worry about shipping monitors back and forth to Dell.

If you want to use a 24" screen for multiple people to watch TV, go ahead. Totally silly to have multiple people huddled around such a tiny display.

I'm an amateur photographer, I have several thousands invested in camera equipment, and either of these TN displays are perfectly acceptable for 99% of the people out there, including me.

My point: there is a considerable difference between some $399 budget TN panel and the Gateway and HP. But after scanning this thread and seeing how many color issues the 2408wfp has, I don't see why someone would pay extra just so they can say "Well, at least its not a TN panel".

TN is not a dirty word. Not any longer.2 years ago I would have never, ever considered a TN panel. I am extremely picky about color reproduction.

My previous PC had an NEC 22" Pro Series CRT, this Dell is the first LCD i've owned. So I bought a VGA-to-DVI adapter that will allow me to plug in my CRT to the second DVI port on my vid card. The colors is produces are perfect, while the same image on the dell is not good. So I can rule out the vid card and windows. I guess this is just the way the Dell is, maybe a result of the wide gamut. If the wide gamit is to blame, then why does DVD via HDMI look so perfect? If i get a chance, i'll take some photos of each to demonstrate.

This cannot be result of wide gammut. I have used 3 different wide gamut monitors with my videocard - no problem.
There may be incompatibility of your videocard and this particular monitor DVI.
The least possible but possible is DVI malfunction.
I use a simple DVI-HDMI adapter for monitors.
Try this to connect your PC to HDMI on the monitor.
The final test would be to connect your monitor to another PC.

The Gateway is a TN panel as well, but why does that matter?

Both the HP and Gateway are 92% gamut, both are faster than the Dell in terms of gaming, both are cheaper, both are easily available in stores so you don't have to worry about shipping monitors back and forth to Dell.

If you want to use a 24" screen for multiple people to watch TV, go ahead. Totally silly to have multiple people huddled around such a tiny display.

I'm an amateur photographer, I have several thousands invested in camera equipment, and either of these TN displays are perfectly acceptable for 99% of the people out there, including me.

My point: there is a considerable difference between some $399 budget TN panel and the Gateway and HP. But after scanning this thread and seeing how many color issues the 2408wfp has, I don't see why someone would pay extra just so they can say "Well, at least its not a TN panel".

TN is not a dirty word. Not any longer.2 years ago I would have never, ever considered a TN panel. I am extremely picky about color reproduction.

About 99% - amazing BS.
About yourself - why not? Well, maestro Niccolo Paganini would play a violin with one string...

after scanning this thread and seeing how many color issues the 2408wfp has
The Dell 2408 has NO color issues other than related to wide color gamut and VA technology limitations.

TN is not a dirty word. Not any longer.2 years ago I would have never, ever considered a TN panel.
Recent improvements have converted TN monitors from the state of being totally unacceptable to being conditionally acceptable. Nothing more.
Ignorant gamers and people with limited budget may find this useful.

I am extremely picky about color reproduction
Really?
TN: 8-bit gradient (16.7M colors) through dithering and FRC
Lack of true 8-bit DAC causes color tinting, fringing, and burning in gradients and poor reproduction of darker tones;
even small downward head movements can caused clearly visible colour changes.

I don't see why someone would pay extra
The answer is simple: to get a better monitor.

Albovin you seeme quite knowledgable.

I also feel like you about TN. Yes gaming is important to me too, so TN does have fast response times, however i am worried about the quality of the pictures as well....

I feel that M-PVA or S-PVA are the best lcd tech at the moment that is a very good compromise between a IPS and a TN panel as you get picture quality but at game/movie playable latency that would not make ghosting too noticeable.

I had read the Dell 2408 is such a monitor however it seems people are complaining about it ?

Issues/questions;

1. The 'Wide Mode' setting (under Display Settings) does not hold. If you set it to anything other than 'Fill', when you use the PIP/PBP feature, the setting will return to the default 'Fill'

2. If you change inputs for the PIP/PBP mode, if you choose some input other than 'S-video', it will revert back to the default 'S-video' input.

3. There are only separate brightness/contrast settings for all the digital inputs and all the anlog inputs, not for each separate input.

I confirmed this on my monitor. Can someone else confirm the above??

I wouldn't have you as my photographer. :rolleyes:

I've asked for a return. If the replacement has no dead pixels and not much pink around the text I'm keeping it, if not a refund and back to a Viewsonic vx800 18 incher, which is old as heck, but no pink tones around text and it is a MVA.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my 2408?
I've encountered randomly appearing horizontal artifacts on desktop, web pages, menus etc :mad: both on VGA and DVI-I.. I am using NVIDIA 6200 GF card with latest drivers..
2378671906_eedd70c917_b.jpg

If that's a screen shot, then something is wrong with your video card. Monitor problems wouldn't show up in a screen shot.

Well I received my 2408WFP and my opinions with it are mixed. My previous monitor is a 2007FP, and my monitor before that an 1800FP. I'd been using them side-by-side for the past year.

On the positive side, I don't notice any of the pink-tinting along the edges that some people's monitors are showing.

On the slightly negative side, I do notice a bit of over-sharpening of text. Adjusting the sharpness setting doesn't help b/c it's only got 5 settings (default is in the middle), and going down even 1 step causes the entire screen to be fuzzy.

On the "might-be-good, might-be-bad, I don't know side," the colors are noticeably different than the 2007FP. This could just be due to the fact that the 2408WFP has a wider color gamut. On the whole, the monitor is greener and yellower (red & green) than the 2007FP. I've never used any calibration software, so I just tried to adjust the monitor to look as close as possible to the 2007FP which mainly consisted of toning the brightness and contrast way back (65/40), and using custom RGB settings (75/75/81), though I'm still fiddling with all of them. I don't think it will be possible to get it to match exactly, but it's about as close to the 2007FP now as the 1800FP and the 2007FP were to each other. For comparison, the 1800FP was yellower than the 2007FP.

It wouldn't be all that important for me if the colors weren't the same if all I were doing was gaming (which I do a lot), but I also render 3D artwork and the final appearance is fairly importance.

So, as you can see, my opinions are mixed. It's nowhere near as bad as some things I've read, but neither do I proclaim this the greatest monitor of all time! If I could take the same 2007FP panel, and blow it up to 24" widescreen, I would. As it stands, we'll see how my opinion of this thing changes over the coming days.

it is a screen shot.. I've just upgraded from really old NVIDIA 64MB AGP GF card to NVIDIA 6200 256MB AGP 8x one due to the horizontal artifacts showing at the top half of the screen when playing DVDs from the HDD @ 1900x1200 and now this... I am running desktop at 1900x1200 res @ 60MHz.. switched to DVI from analogue (thought analogue cable/signal to blame) and that didn't get artifacts to go away.. they are even showing when I am typing this.. agrrrr

I have my third 2408 and new one has an issue I'm hoping someone can explain.
On the left third of the screen from the bottom of the screen to about a third of the way up there is a row of red pixels in a very straight line that are always on. I hope I'm describing this properly just so I understand for the future what this is. I will be calling Dell in the morning for another monitor.

I have my third 2408 and new one has an issue I'm hoping someone can explain.
On the left third of the screen from the bottom of the screen to about a third of the way up there is a row of red pixels in a very straight line that are always on. I hope I'm describing this properly just so I understand for the future what this is. I will be calling Dell in the morning for another monitor.

stuck pixels

Two days now with my new Dell 2408 WFP:no banding,no dead pixel,no tint ,no white band at left ,no rainbow effect around text
Sharp ,nice colors after some ajustments

I just ordered one for 599, dell's having a sale until the 10th I believe. I'll let you know how it goes, I'm sort of satisfied with my 248s in my sig. It was a good value for what I paid. Hoping the 2408 will be the main monitor in my tri monitor setup.

I feel that M-PVA or S-PVA are the best lcd tech at the moment that is a very good compromise between a IPS and a TN panel as you get picture quality but at game/movie playable latency that would not make ghosting too noticeable.

Heck its the only tech between the two. Part of me wishes that neither were invented so IPS would have been ramped up in production far further and possibly had taken the pricepoint $500-650 of pva/mva's today. Doublesight and Planars 26" efforts show us its possible. But then again it could only be thanks to VA tech that people these days demand better viewing angles than TN provided at cheap.

My second one has one stuck pixel. My first one had two dead pixels....sigh. I am trying to fix, but if I cannot, I suppose a refund is in order, as QC could be better for these.

What is interesting is the color seems adjusted. It is in the default as shipped desktop mode, yet the color looks better than the default on the last one. For an example, under default settings, the last monitor had the webpage for my company email as a purple background (exchange 2003 webmail if anyone uses it). I had to do quite a bit of adjusting to get it to show the proper blue color.

Is the 2408wfp really worth paying $90 - $100 more....... then settling for slightly lower specs and buying a 2407wfp?

Thanx..... I would still like consumer opinions. The Black Ghosting seems like it might get pretty damn annoying if your a video game player like myself.

Is the 2408wfp really worth paying $90 - $100 more....... then settling for slightly lower specs and buying a 2407wfp?

Back