Dell 2407 or 37" Westy?

SkyyNet

Limp Gawd
After seeing some of the pics posted in this thread

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088497&page=19&pp=20

the Westy looks amazing. I just moved into a new house and me and my wife have been trying to find some office furniture for the office. I currently have the 2407 but was thinking to save some space I could mount it on the wall, hook up my x360 to it and keep all the video game stuff in one room.

I'll post some pics of the room when I get a chance. I also need some help picking out a desk. Yes, this is also another one of the recommend me a desk threads as well :p

Are there any drawbacks from getting the Westy over the 24" Dell? I figure if I can sell both of my 2407s and get $1200 it would just about cover the price of the Westy. I also would need a desk that is not glass and has a couple draws.

Thank you

I have a 24" Dell and a 37" Westy and it's Westy all the way. You can get a Westy for $1100 + $51 shipping from J&R now.

sanvara said:
I have a 24" Dell and a 37" Westy and it's Westy all the way. You can get a Westy for $1100 + $51 shipping from J&R now.

yeah i saw that....only bad thing is that I live in NY and J&R charges tax for NY residents :(

I just cancelled my 2407 order and went with the 37"

I don't like wondering if I will be able to use a 1080p source over dvi on the 2407. (when I finally do get a HD-DVD or Blueray player)

magnetik said:
I just cancelled my 2407 order and went with the 37"

I don't like wondering if I will be able to use a 1080p source over dvi on the 2407. (when I finally do get a HD-DVD or Blueray player)

are there any disadvantages of the westy over the dell? i figure i can hook up my cable box via hdmi, the 360 via component and my computer via dvi.

also, will my 7800gtx512 work ok with the westy?

SkyyNet said:
are there any disadvantages of the westy over the dell? i figure i can hook up my cable box via hdmi, the 360 via component and my computer via dvi.

also, will my 7800gtx512 work ok with the westy?

pixels are larger, resolution is slightly lower, have to sit a little further from the screen, trying to find space to fit it,.. that's all I can think about... all negated by the fact that the 37W3 is huge, has a lot of inputs, supports native 1080p 16x9, cheap, etc.

oh.. I will also be running it with a 7800gtx 512mb

magnetik said:
pixels are larger, resolution is slightly lower, have to sit a little further from the screen, trying to find space to fit it,.. that's all I can think about... all negated by the fact that the 37W3 is huge, has a lot of inputs, supports native 1080p 16x9, cheap, etc.

oh.. I will also be running it with a 7800gtx 512mb

what is the westy's resolution compared to the 2407? i know the dell is running 1920x1200....

SkyyNet said:
what is the westy's resolution compared to the 2407? i know the dell is running 1920x1200....

Westy is 1920 x 1080 and is 16x9

Dell is 1920 x 1200 and is 16x10 which means you will see black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when watching HDTV or DVDs which are 16x9.

well here are the pictures of my office. Sorry about the mess but we have no place to put anything at this time. Hence the creation of this thread. I will edit this post later to explain the pics but here is what my office looks like at the moment.

this first picture is taken outside the room...what you would see when you walk directly into the toom

IMG_1622.jpg

this shot is what you would see directly to the left

IMG_1624.jpg

this shot is what you would see directly to the right

IMG_1625.jpg

this shot is what you would see directly straight ahead

IMG_1626.jpg

this shot is what you would see directly to the left/center

IMG_1627.jpg

this shot was taken from the opposite side looking straight

IMG_1628.jpg

this shot was taken from the opposite side looking to the left

IMG_1629.jpg

this shot was taken from the opposite side corner of the room

IMG_1630.jpg

updated the pics

from what I am thinking.....I would like to mount the Westy on the wall that has the futon on it. we were planning on setting up the desk where the computer is now facing the window but I was thinking about doing it the aforementioned way and putting the futon against the window.

thoughts?

it depends what other furniture you are going to put in that room... in no other furniture i'd put the screen on the left wall (as you walk in) leave the futon. i dont think you should put the screen in a corner because i think it may come out a bit too far.

little bit of an update.....

i decided to go with this desk....sorry the colors are off but im at work and I have no way of saving MS paint to a jpeg. You may be able to check out the desk by going here but I'm not sure if its going to take you to office max's home page.

desk.jpg

The desk is a corner L shaped desk. It measures about 62" from the center to each end. The only problem I am seeing with the desk is that the middle part has the most depth at about 28" yet they place the piece to hold the keyboard with only a depth of 20". Not really a big deal.

The desk will go in the left corner of this picture:

IMG_1626.jpg

and the desk's left "arm" would extend along the wall of this picture.

IMG_1627.jpg

I measured it out and it would come out to about where the outlet is....right before where the printer is on top of the speaker box. the other arm (right) would extend to about the middle of the window and since the desk is relatively small at a height of 28" it wont block the whole window.

what do u think about this choice?

well that desk looks pretty nice, it's a good size, and seems to have a good amount or storage. Seems as though it's a good fit.

i'm not sure if i missed it but do you have central air? reason i ask is i always try to keep an AC in the room with my computers for the summer. Looks like it would be blocked by the desk.

also on a bit of a side note, when did you get the 2407? and what would you be looking to get for it?

dtess17 said:
well that desk looks pretty nice, it's a good size, and seems to have a good amount or storage. Seems as though it's a good fit.

i'm not sure if i missed it but do you have central air? reason i ask is i always try to keep an AC in the room with my computers for the summer. Looks like it would be blocked by the desk.

also on a bit of a side note, when did you get the 2407? and what would you be looking to get for it?

cool, thanks. yes, i have central air in the house. the vent is up on the ceiling and it blows directly down where the computer is now.

i got the 2407 about 4 months ago.....its a great monitor. there were some banding issues with the a01 but i didnt see any with the a02. i was debating about getting a westy and wall mounting it in the office but I realized that I dont really need a TV in there. I have a HDTV with DVR in my living room and a SDTV with a tivo in my bedroom. I would then have to get another HD box in the office and at this point I dont really need it. I'll put the money towards a 1080p LCD TV for the living room. :)

I'm sure you'll love the Westy. I just ditched my Dual 20" Dells and got the 42" version.
As for that desk, my roomate had it. Pretty solid for the money, but I'll warn you that the finish will rub off, and will bubble up with ANY moisture. SO either seal it somehow, or use coasters and a mouse pad.

SVT4ME said:
I'm sure you'll love the Westy. I just ditched my Dual 20" Dells and got the 42" version.
As for that desk, my roomate had it. Pretty solid for the money, but I'll warn you that the finish will rub off, and will bubble up with ANY moisture. SO either seal it somehow, or use coasters and a mouse pad.

ah, thanks for the advice. how do i seal it....what would i have to use? something like a thompsons water seal?? ill be using a mousepad and coasters (thanks to my wife) ;)

as for the westy....im going to stick with the 2407 for now. no need for a tv in the room right now.

Back