Dell 1707FP opinion

Ray2097

Limp Gawd
Can you tell me what do you think of this monitor (in a class with other TN monitors, off course, i don't expect IPS or similar performance)?

I really don't like VA monitors, and at this moment it is impossible for me to find a decent ips, so i think i'll use this for some time.

Can you tell me how fast it is in practice and is it pleasant to the eyes?

thanx

Sounds like my case.

I had at Dell 2405fpw (PVA) and Dell 2007fp (S-PVA thought I was getting S-IPS, :mad: ). I now have a Dell 1707fp.

I couldn't stand the PVAs. Viewing angles and harshness. They are gone. Felt like I was looking at one of those magic 3d drawings, my eyes get extra strain trying to figure out the angular differences. I was almost ready to give up on LCD forever.

The TN 1707fp has been much better. The horizontal viewing angles are much better. So I don't get that wierd glare like 3d effect. The panel is also faster than either PVA I owned. Also seems to look better at low brightness. Very easy on my eyes that were strained with my PVA's.

All in all great for what you are paying.

Downsides (mostly typical TN)
Banding. I really haven't noticed any watching movies or playing games, but if you run a gradient test it will show banding. But otherwise the colors look great. Saturated and accurate. Not really a problem but it is there. But it looks great in games/videos.

Portrait mode: As unusable as PVA. :) TN has poor vertical viewing angles which really don't cause any issue, but flip it into portrait and you it is similar to PVA, maybe worse.

TN is the economical Landscape mode only IPS. :)

Thanx for the reply.
I saw that disgusting 3d effect on pva and mva panels too. but the thing that bugged me most was loss of detail when you look stright at display. There's nothing like that on IPS or TN.

I think i'll stick with 1707fp for some time... i wanted to take 20wgx2, but i don't like glossy screens and that brightness of 470cd sounds insane to me.

Ah, i really dont know what to do... do you know of any new 20 or 21" monitors with IPS panel coming soon?

Back