Deepcool Castle 120R?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I know normally a 120mm AIO isn't recommended however I only have a R5 3600 with PBO turned on and a cheap office type Rosewill MATX case with only room for a 120mm. Currently it runs a R5 2600's Wraith Spire with the vapor chamber. I have not stress tested it lately but when it was a new build it was running in the mid 80's fully stressed out. I deemed it ok since I rarely use anything that would fully stress it, and 95* is thermal limit.

I'm not sure how 'big' of an air cooler I can actually fit, but this case has 2 5.25" bays so a larger air cooler might become choked. I've thought about a different case but I actually like this one.

Which specific case do you have? Usually they have max cooler height somewhere in the specs. If there's a 120mm fan in the rear, chances are it will at least fit a Scythe Fuma 2 or Mugen 5 which should be somewhat better (and probably cheaper) than a 120mm AIO.

Probably the Line M since it's the only one I see with a 120mm fan vs. 80mm? Max height is 161mm. Fuma 2 for example is 155mm.

I had to look them up on Newegg... It's the FBM-01. It says 80mm rear BUT, that is because Rosewill was so cheap and put a 80mm fan in a 120mm fan slot so that they could sell it as shipping with 2 fans included. FWIW it has been the best $21 case I've ever bought. But it's also the only $21 case I've ever bought. But I've built in crappier cases that cost more money.. 150mm is the cooler height max on this one. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147123

Take a look at that price hike though.. I know I paid $21 for it, now $80. I think list was $30 but I actually got it because it looked plane jane... I think the Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim 2 would be the biggest air cooler I could use, and it would be tight at 135mm. The Rosewill ROCC 16003 is closer to max at 149mm but that is cheep

I had to look them up on Newegg... It's the FBM-01. It says 80mm rear BUT, that is because Rosewill was so cheap and put a 80mm fan in a 120mm fan slot so that they could sell it as shipping with 2 fans included. FWIW it has been the best $21 case I've ever bought. But it's also the only $21 case I've ever bought. But I've built in crappier cases that cost more money.. 150mm is the cooler height max on this one. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147123

Take a look at that price hike though.. I know I paid $21 for it, now $80. I think list was $30 but I actually got it because it looked plane jane... I think the Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim 2 would be the biggest air cooler I could use, and it would be tight at 135mm. The Rosewill ROCC 16003 is closer to max at 149mm but that is cheep
If that's an 80, then the outer holes are more likely for a 92mm fan, not 120mm.

If that's an 80, then the outer holes are more likely for a 92mm fan, not 120mm.
I think your right. And that would explain why I kept the 80mm, as I have never had a 92mm fan. My graphics card is a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070 3 fan, which is 280mm, out of the 300mm allowed, and if that is fan included, I could put the radiator in the front. Deep Cool lists the radiator as 27mm. However, with the slight margin of error, it would also dump hot air directly onto the GPU, and that defeats the purpose

Probably my only option. Would this out perform the Be Quiet?

I'm not sure exactly which BeQuiet cooler you're looking at.

The Noctua cooler has 5 heatpipes vs. 3 in the BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 92mm tower. I'd take the Noctua between the two.

Although the BeQuiet Dark Rock TF2 would probably beat it and is only 135mm tall. Have to check the other dimensions though as it is a large cooler.

I'll have to grab the Noctua. I didn't like the brown color but it's in a windowless case. Too cheap to spend $70 on black version

I'll have to grab the Noctua. I didn't like the brown color but it's in a windowless case. Too cheap to spend $70 on black version

Nothing says you can't swap out the brown fan for a black one in the future if you end up reusing it in a windowed build.

I ended up grabbing an ID Cooling 914 XT, as it's similar to the Noctua U9S although it lacks the 5th heat pipe but at a much lower cost.. I'll report back once it's installed

I'm actually curious if one of these 92mm Mini coolers could actually cool a 5800/5900X, or if an upgrade will essentially require a bigger case. I've been thinking of a CPU upgrade, but going from a 3600 to a 5600X is too much of a side grade. So I need to at least look at the 5800X- up IF I do

I'm actually curious if one of these 92mm Mini coolers could actually cool a 5800/5900X, or if an upgrade will essentially require a bigger case. I've been thinking of a CPU upgrade, but going from a 3600 to a 5600X is too much of a side grade. So I need to at least look at the 5800X- up IF I do
If you don't overclock...it might be just sufficient in a case with good airflow and not stupid ambient temps. Wanna say most 92mm coolers are good to 80-120w TDP, but it varies from one to the next, and depends on how well suited the cooler is to your CPU and Case as well.

Somehow this little box never really gets hot in general use.. I just Ran Cinebench R23 as I don't have Aida64 installed right now and the CPU maxed at 91* with the R5 2600X Wraith Spire ( w/ vapor chamber ). Normal gaming will get it to 65* or so. The CPU/ GPU seem to equalize at around 68* while gaming. But the GPU never breaks 70*. The case has a nice side vent which does let a lot of heat out. I could probably put a fan in the side although it was never meant for one. I just didn't because I hate that hassle of removing the connector to open the case which is likely why they fell out of fashion

Somehow this little box never really gets hot in general use.. I just Ran Cinebench R23 as I don't have Aida64 installed right now and the CPU maxed at 91* with the R5 2600X Wraith Spire ( w/ vapor chamber ). Normal gaming will get it to 65* or so. The CPU/ GPU seem to equalize at around 68* while gaming. But the GPU never breaks 70*. The case has a nice side vent which does let a lot of heat out. I could probably put a fan in the side although it was never meant for one. I just didn't because I hate that hassle of removing the connector to open the case which is likely why they fell out of fashion
You might be good. Noctua lists their NH-U9dx-i4 as sufficient, with a bit of headroom for overclocking. It's 125mm from base to top, so it should fit as long as no other components get in the way.

Appears the U9DX-I4 is a server grade cooler for Intel only. but the U9S is similar just with 2 more heat pipes but one less fan

I bet I can add 2 good fans to the ID cooling 914 XT ( 4 heat pipes ) that I have coming, to run a 5800-5900X but it will cool the 3600 that is in there without much fuss at all.... It is kind of crazy if I did put a $500 processor in a $21 case.. But if it fits

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Appears the U9DX-I4 is a server grade cooler for Intel only. but the U9S is similar just with 2 more heat pipes but one less fan

I bet I can add 2 good fans to the ID cooling 914 XT ( 4 heat pipes ) that I have coming, to run a 5800-5900X but it will cool the 3600 that is in there without much fuss at all.... It is kind of crazy if I did put a $500 processor in a $21 case.. But if it fits
Yeah, looks very similar in configuration, should be fine with two good fans.

I think the NF-A9 fans that come on the Noctua coolers would work well. Listed at 46 CFM. I've just got to now really decide if I'm going to upgrade the CPU.

If you do a search there is a review of the stock 3900x cooler and they compare it with a 360 mm AIO. Turns out the stock cooler is okay for most things and there's really not a big performance penalty but it is a lot louder.

I think you'd be okay. To put in perspective I had a 5950x and it would pull about 142W under a sustained load without PBO. I would think a 92 mm cooler would handle that.

I actually have a Wraith Prisim, but I think installation pressure actually broke traces in a motherboard since it mounts so tight. So I really don't want to use it.

Yeah I know. I did almost grab it off the shelf though. But I'd have to dig out the motherboard latches and everything else. But the ID cooler should be a bit better

I'm kind of thinking of taking this case a little old school. I have a 5.25" external bay not doing anything. I could get one of the old 3 fan front intake vents that were used to cool hard disks back in the day. I had one and it worked great but was so loud that I eventually pulled the fans off of it and just used the plastic panel. They are still available and Noctua makes 40mm PWM fans which would fit right on... The CPU cooler is almost in a direct line to that bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1817862273...hxfpVDZ87LkQ_zMwJqnaiiMugEXGY_mQaApVLEALw_wcB

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm kind of thinking of taking this case a little old school. I have a 5.25" external bay not doing anything. I could get one of the old 3 fan front intake vents that were used to cool hard disks back in the day. I had one and it worked great but was so loud that I eventually pulled the fans off of it and just used the plastic panel. They are still available and Noctua makes 40mm PWM fans which would fit right on... The CPU cooler is almost in a direct line to that bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1817862273...hxfpVDZ87LkQ_zMwJqnaiiMugEXGY_mQaApVLEALw_wcB

2-3 40mm fans is going to be loud. I wouldn't worry about it. I think your new cooler is going to move enough air through the fins.

You would get better cooling out of a push/pull config on your cooler than you would with that thing.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wish I could find the old plastic vent bezel itself just as an extra vent.. I know I kept it but I tore that computer down ~10 years ago. It was beige but black spray paint does wonders

I remember it sounding like rocks in a blender after a while, which is why I threw the fans out

If I go 58/5900 X, then I'm going to a push/ pull on the cooler automatically

Numbers are in.. Max temp with the R5 2600 Wraith Spire cooler ( vapor chamber version of spire ) was 92*. The ID cooler, max temp of 78* and Cinebench is also showing a little over 100 pts higher

The mounting could not be easier. Done in case with zero difficulty.

Also.. In game ( RDR 2 tested ) the thermals normalize at basically 60* for both CPU and GPU.. The Noctua 92mm case fan that I got moves a lot more air than the old Rosewill 80mm but I'm not sure if it would be that much different.

Back