Deck OLED

I know I'm ordering one once released in 2 days. I had my steam deck for a year now, plenty of enjoyment out of it. Will keep my original steam deck, and enjoy my new oled model. This is literally the best 400 so dollars I spent for gaming in forever. This is up there with when I went to toys r us as a kid and spent 200 dollars for a sega genesis in the 90s. Now we got guys complaing about a 279 refurb steam deck. sheesh.
I find it funny how since a new model comes out, people say theirs is old. Steam will keep updating the original steam deck and you will still be able to use it.

I'm in for one with intentions of keeping my original. I figure I've had mine a year now roughly it's pretty much my main gaming device aside from PC which only is used for BG3 and Starfield right now. Assuming Valve doesn't release a SD2 in the next 2-2.5 years atleast Spending 5-600 on an OLED model won't be such a terrible thing. Bad timing for me though with Christmas around the corner probably won't buy until next year.

Where did you get the impression that other people had that impression? I'm not sure if you're pretending to be dense here, but the issue obviously isn't the fact they did a hardware refresh. It's the fact they misled their customers about it.

If people didn't get the impression (either through malice or by accident) that there would be no hardware refresh for some time to come, then how the-infernal-nether-regions could they have been misled about it? A quote from this very thread:

I didn't ignore shit. The fact is, the company has basically no precedence of creating refreshes. For most companies that are going to do a refresh, even Nvidia, you hear rumblings of it long before it happens, and new product release are generally hinted at long in advance by some metric so you at least know. They basically literally snuck this release out in order to squeeze money out of their current stock, essentially screwing over anyone that buys it near the release date of the fully improved version.

Valve has always been open that they were working on hardware refreshes of the deck before a true performance update, with communications being along the lines of:

Valve is not looking to improve performance of the next iteration of Steam Deck, the designers of the portable console told The Verge. Instead, the company will for now try to improve the battery life and display quality of the device. Once computer architectures evolve significantly, Valve will possibly consider a major upgrade.

Source (2022): https://www.tomshardware.com/news/valve-no-performance-upgrades-for-next-gen-steam-decks

So, until I see strong evidence of the strong claim that valve actively misled customers, I have to assume that the anger is ultimately due to the message getting misinterpreted along the way as opposed to valve misleading people.

Last edited:
Bummer, I been thinking about selling my 512 Deck because I've rarely used it. I prefer gaming on my gaming rig and when I went camping recently it was my gaming laptop or Nintendo Switch. Ultimately, its my fault. I shouldn't have kept waiting. This announcement has me considering not selling it as I'm not letting it go at a fraction of the price I paid. It's still practically brand new with less than 2 hours use.

Last edited:
F*** steam. Every time they release something I get it in my cart and their system stops working and then I inevitably don't get it.

If people didn't get the impression (either through malice or by accident) that there would be no hardware refresh for some time to come, then how the-infernal-nether-regions could they have been misled about it? A quote from this very thread:

There were refreshes in the original rollout. People who ordered in the first 10 minutes got completely different Decks than people who ordered later in the day.

F*** steam. Every time they release something I get it in my cart and their system stops working and then I inevitably don't get it.
Yup, same here, pretty frustrating.

Edit: LE came back in stock a few mins later and was able to grab…so sigh, I guess that works.

Last edited:
By the time I got to the payment screen it was out of stock (limited edition 1 TB)

If this goes to show anything is that there will be more in the future with potentially nicer features. Don't sweat it that hard.

They are slowly dripping the LE's into stock!

Keep it in your cart and keep refreshing until the button shows up. I just got one all the way through checkout!

They are slowly dripping the LE's into stock!

Keep it in your cart and keep refreshing until the button shows up. I just got one all the way through checkout!

I got it through to checkout, but it said delivery would be delayed due to high order volume. If its anything like the last time, I didn't get my OG Steam Deck 512 until 4 months after release :(.

I got it through to checkout, but it said delivery would be delayed due to high order volume. If its anything like the last time, I didn't get my OG Steam Deck 512 until 4 months after release :(.
Where did it say that? I literally just got through the checkout process and it still said 3-5 business days

edit: I certainly hope it's not like the OG launch

Where did it say that? I literally just got through the checkout process and it still said 3-5 business days

edit: I certainly hope it's not like the OG launch

I bought the LE version. It started with 2-4 weeks.

I bought the LE version. It started with 2-4 weeks.
Interesting. I originally got my deck in my cart at like 1:01pm this afternoon but didn’t complete checkout until after 2:00. Wonder if they’re honoring peoples places in line?

We’ll find out soon I suppose

I sold my 64gb model today on FB marketplace. As the guy was getting in his car and I had this cash, I immediately picked up my phone and ordered the 512gb OLED.
Now we wait....

Well, thank the gods for side work. Picked up some money and was amazed the "Limited" edition is still available. Ordered it on the spot. Not questioning my luck or if it's only limited to this month or year. Old deck will get handed down to my daughter.

Bummer, I been thinking about selling my 512 Deck because I've rarely used it. I prefer gaming on my gaming rig and when I went camping recently it was my gaming laptop or Nintendo Switch. Ultimately, its my fault. I shouldn't have kept waiting. This announcement has me considering not selling it as I'm not letting it go at a fraction of the price I paid. It's still practically brand new with less than 2 hours use.
:rolleyes:

Wow! That was fast

Got a shipping notification last night for mine!

Mine just said it was preparing for shipment. It didn't say it was shipped yet.

Edit: I went onto Steam, and saw that I have a UPS label created. Maybe I'll have it this week!

It's really tempting to buy this and sell my original Steam Deck. I know I shouldn't because I don't play my Deck that much. But the screen has been the bane of my device so far. The backlight bleed is incredibly bad on my particular unit.

I really wish they gave a discount for accounts that already purchased a deck before the OLED. I ordered a special edition one because i use the hell out of my deck, but it feels a bit bad still

I caved and bought the 512GB. Seems a little unfortunate they aren't doing glossy on the limited edition model, otherwise I would've went that route.

I caved and bought the 512GB. Seems a little unfortunate they aren't doing glossy on the limited edition model, otherwise I would've went that route.

Yeah I find that a little puzzling myself. Especially since many many people will end up using a screen protector anyway. Glossy + a matte protector seems like a way better option (IMO)

I just checked and my LE is coming tomorrow even though it said "2-4 weeks" at the time of purchase, and even though it was an hour after the orders opened. Looks like they were more successful with this launch compared to the first.

Valve has always been open that they were working on hardware refreshes of the deck before a true performance update, with communications being along the lines of:

Source (2022): https://www.tomshardware.com/news/valve-no-performance-upgrades-for-next-gen-steam-decks

So, until I see strong evidence of the strong claim that valve actively misled customers, I have to assume that the anger is ultimately due to the message getting misinterpreted along the way as opposed to valve misleading people.

I missed this because you can't quote posts properly. Why are you using a vague Tomshardware article in support of a point that no one actually argued against? No one was arguing that "they won't be working on an iterative console before a full upgrade". You didn't actually read either the post that you're responding to, or the article that you're actually quoting. Your "source" contains two very terse quotes that are supposedly from Valve. The rest of it is just filler and speculation from Tomshardware. That's probably 80% of it.

The article you're quoting:
1. Doesn't give any timeframe at all (which was a big portion of my argument up there).
2. Is talking about the "next gen" of the Deck, not even a refresh
3. Just contains two very aimless quotes that are supposedly from Valve, containing very little actual concrete information. That aren't even true, because the videos up there show it's a bigger improvement than they want you to think.

Like no matter how much you want to kiss Valve's ass, the fact is that they snuck this thing out. There is little reason to do this other than to the detriment of recent consumers, and to the benefit of their bottom line. Period. There's no other reason. You don't even need me to argue this. Ask almost anyone that bought a Steam Deck recently: if they knew this thing was on the horizon in a few months, whether they would have bought it. Your answer is most likely going to be "no", especially not since the OLED is literally the same price for each storage level and is better in literally every way. Valve wanted to get rid of old stock without any actual discount on it, and this is how they chose to do it. Something that even Nintendo didn't have the balls to do. They're the winner. Well played.

I don't really care anymore, I just made my decision in that I'm not going to be buying any hardware from them for a very long while (and probably slowing my software purchases, too). This is the tradeoff they wanted, so be it. Acting like Valve can do no wrong is silly. They're just like any other company.

I missed this because you can't quote posts properly. Why are you using a vague Tomshardware article in support of a point that no one actually argued against? No one was arguing that "they won't be working on an iterative console before a full upgrade". You didn't actually read either the post that you're responding to, or the article that you're actually quoting. Your "source" contains two very terse quotes that are supposedly from Valve. The rest of it is just filler and speculation from Tomshardware. That's probably 80% of it.

1. Doesn't give any timeframe at all (which was a big portion of my argument up there).
3. Just contains two very aimless quotes that are supposedly from Valve, containing very little actual concrete information. That aren't even true, because the videos up there show it's a bigger improvement than they want you to think.

Like no matter how much you want to kiss Valve's ass, the fact is that they snuck this thing out. There is little reason to do this other than to the detriment of recent consumers, and to the benefit of their bottom line. Period. There's no other reason. You don't even need me to argue this. Ask almost anyone that bought a Steam Deck recently: if they knew this thing was on the horizon in a few months, whether they would have bought it. Your answer is most likely going to be "no", especially not since the OLED is literally the same price for each storage level and is better in literally every way. Valve wanted to get rid of old stock without any actual discount on it, and this is how they chose to do it. Something that even Nintendo didn't have the balls to do. They're the winner. Well played.

I don't really care anymore, I just made my decision in that I'm not going to be buying any hardware from them for a very long while (and probably slowing my software purchases, too). This is the tradeoff they wanted, so be it. Acting like Valve can do no wrong is silly. They're just like any other company.
you bring up fair points. As a consumer vote with your wallet. My SD is a few months old and while I am not up in arms, I am a bit disappointed.

Meh, if you're going to reference click-bait videos then I supposed we're even with the supposed "vague article".

Since you're clearly too angry to coherently read, I suppose that the conversation is finished. Have a nice day.

you bring up fair points. As a consumer vote with your wallet. My SD is a few months old and while I am not up in arms, I am a bit disappointed.

Yeah it is what it is. I have no illusions, I don't think my decision is going to meaningfully affect anything. Unlike t1337duder the screen on my Steam Deck isn't that bad, either. It doesn't really have any backlight bleed. Probably feels even worse for the people that bought one recently and then got a kind of shitty screen on top of it.

I think I'll also try hitting up their support to see if they'll do anything. Again, I highly doubt it but whatever. Not much to lose. That's all I can really do, outside of legal action. But nothing Valve did was illegal by any stretch (probably; IANAL). Just kind of shitty, from an ethics and/or pro-consumer standpoint. Shrug.

Last edited:
If your screen doesn't have bad backlight bleed, I wouldn't sweat it too much. In my case, there is backlight bleed on 3 sides of my Deck. I've used nothing but OLED in my household for the last 6 years. With that in mind, I'm easily distracted by the flaws of the LCD screen when using it. It was frustrating given that OLED has been standard on phones and tablets for some time.

Yeah, I'd be mad to if I bought a 4090 today and they released the 5090 tomorrow. Even though the 4090 been out for a year. The specific question was is valve releasing a Steam deck 2. The answer was, not for a couple of years. This is not the steam deck 2 this is a revision. So valve has not lied to the consumer. Your mad they released a oled version along side the led version. They are both for sale, and if you purchased within a certain time frame, they will give you back the difference.

Anyway my Steam deck oled 512gb shows up tomorrow. Can't wait to play with this baby, and my wife will have her own steam deck. No more using mine. We both have our own, thats a win win.

Got mine today and I’m really impressed! The APU isn’t quite as capable as I was expecting it to be but everything else about it is fantastic. Outside of emulation and older/less demanding titles, I think the majority of my usage will be streaming with moonlight/sunshine to maximize the eye candy, performance and battery life.

Got mine today and I’m really impressed! The APU isn’t quite as capable as I was expecting it to be but everything else about it is fantastic. Outside of emulation and older/less demanding titles, I think the majority of my usage will be streaming with moonlight/sunshine to maximize the eye candy, performance and battery life.
I'm surprised the x265 compression doesn't stick out on that screen ;)

Because it definitely sticks out on my S9 Ultra tablet.

I'm surprised the x265 compression doesn't stick out on that screen ;)

Because it definitely sticks out on my S9 Ultra tablet.
no, none whatsoever actually. I use sunshine/moonlight on my iPad Pro as well and it runs surprisingly good. The only time I’ve ever noticed any compression artifacts and/or lag is when the network signal isn’t ideal…. But if I’m in an area of the house with a good signal I actually prefer it to playing the games natively believe it or not (90hz and 120hz displays vs 60hz on my desktop and just works better with a duel sense controller).

If only Steam Streaming worked as well :(

Back