Decent Upper End Mobo/Cpu/Ram Recomendation

malor

Limp Gawd
I'm going to build a system soon. I've been outta the loop for a little while but i want to know waht the best mobo/cpu/ram combo would be for gaming/music production, and basicly performance tasks. It would also help if you could suggest a video card that would work great with this bundle. I'm trying to avoid the Asus SLI board, but please, draw from your experiance. Thanks guys.

Hi. I'm in the process of building a system for audio editing and storage. After lots of research, I'll tell you what I'm doing and see if it helps.

After spending 3 weeks with the ASUS A8N SLI Premium motherboard, I sent it back. Nice guys, but poor support (incorrect info given to me), and a problematic board. (I'll spare you the details unless you want them.) So I instead got a MSI K8N Platinum board. It has all the stuff but no SLI, which I don't need. It has have PCI x# slots, so that's fine with me. And I saved a few dollars with this board. ($130)

AMD X2 3800+ processor. ($320 at the time).

2 sticks of 512MB (1 GIG total) Corsair TWINX ram ($100).

I'm going to be hooking up 2 WD740G drives in RAID 1 for the OS & programs drive, and then 4 WD3200 drives in a RAID 0+1 setup for the audio editing and storage.

I don't need strong video, so got Saphire X500 graphics card.

I trust this helps. Ask questions if you have them.

Yeah, a co worker of mine had extensive problems with the A8N, I think I'll veer away from that then, MAXPC seems to like it simply because it's asus's first SLI board. Dummies. THanks for the specs, I think I'll up the ante on graphics and ram, otherwise the setup sounded nice. Thanks for sharing.

Here's my current ranking of s939 boards I've actually used.

1. DFI NF4 Ultra-D
2. Abit AN8-SLI
3. Chaintech VNF4/Ultra
4. ASRock 939Dual SATA2
5. MSI Neo4 Plat SLI (early adopter)
6. Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

That's from my personal experience. Others will disagree ;).

Back