Deathadder size and tracking?

Maranello

Limp Gawd
I stopped in my local best buy yesterday to see the Deathadder next to the G500 (I'm considering both now while the G500 is on sale at amazon) only to find they sold it over the weekend. Since then I've read about tracking problems with the 3.5G on various mousepads. So, is there that big of a difference in feel between the G500 and DA? Does it feel bigger? On paper they look very close but then again on paper the X5 looks close as well but it feels way bigger.

As for the tracking, I also plan to order a Steelseries QCK+ at the same time (amazon). How bad/wide spread is the tracking issue? I've even seen it suggested that the best DA is still the 1800dpi 3G model. Is this true?

i would buy an optical mouse over a laser in a heartbeat. i have used a DA on a QcK+ and it worked flawlessly. I use an mx518 on my QcK+ with no issues, and my friend has a DA on his QcK+. I would recommend it over a the g500

So the DA came today and while I haven't had enough time to form an opinion about it as a mouse in terms of performance, I can say it's very comfortable. You can see in the pics that the DA is a little taller than the G7 right around the index finder's knuckle. I like the wider buttons on the DA more as my fingers were at the very edge of the G7's when I palmed it. Over all the DA and the G7 feel very close though. I read a bunch of reviews saying it's a big mouse but I honestly don't see that. I'm biased because I have big hands but it's extremely close in size to the Logitech. I'll give it a few days of gaming but I honestly don't think I would have noticed a difference in terms of feel or shape between the G500 and the DA. One thing I do notice though is the missing DPI buttons the X5 and the G7 have. This is the first mouse I've had to install drivers on. I've included pics of my Sidewinder x5 as well, sorry about the blur on the profile shot but you can still see the general shape.

As for the X5, I do like it. I find it very comfortable and it tracks very well but my thumb is long enough that it rests right on the side buttons which causes me to hold my thumb like a claw grip. Also, I found it kind of easy to right click the mouse with my knuckle since you can press the buttons almost in the center of the mouse and get a click. As a side note, the X5 has the same rubber coating on it's sides as the DA uses on it's top.

EDIT: So I've been playing Borderlands with it since I posted and it feels exactly like my G7 in hand. Performance is great but again, no different from the G7. The one thing that doesn't come through on all of the pics and videos is this, IMO, doesn't feel like a $50-60 mouse. Clicking the side buttons sounds hollow like the X5 (but my X5 was $25 so it doesn't bother me). The shiny black sides feel slippy after awhile and while it looks great in pics, it looks and feels really cheap. The materials used aren't weak or flimsy but the G7 and G500 just "feel" more expensive. This feels like the X5... that costs twice as much. My other niggle about this mouse is the cord. I like the braided cord but it's really stiff, I mean pipe cleaner stiff. I can shape it into an "S" shape and it will stay that way. I'm definitely disappointed. I'm not sending it back or anything, it's still a nice mouse, but it's just not living up to the hype or price tag.

Top.jpg

front.jpg

rear.jpg

side.jpg

Last edited:
I have been through this process already as well. I have the G9, G7, G500, MS x8, Deathadder, Revolution + a bunch of others not worth mentioning.

I really find the Deathadder to be by FAR the most comfortable of the lot. I had the 1800 dpi version which was exactly what I need (i.e. i use a max of 2000 dpi on my 5700 dpi G500) and I found it pretty well built and with excellent performance.

I would recommend just spending some time using it. It took me weeks to adjust from the Deathadder to the x8 and then from the x8 to the G500. Still find the G500 awkward to hold.

Good luck with the DA. Good choice IMHO.

I picked up a deathadder as well - my first razer product and I definitely impressed. Very comfortable, less effort required.

I've had a couple death adders since it's release. It's the best mouse on the market, imo. As far as shape goes it's very similar to the 3.0 (which is my old favorite) just a bit shorter. The mouse was made even better with the 1.8ndc firmware which removed prediction and than again with the 3.5G refresh because it completely lacks prediction out of the box.

It feels and performs like a 3.0 on crack and I would highly recommend it to any right handed gamer.

As far as those commenting on the DA + QCK combo, that was my main setup for almost 2 years and I recently upgraded my pad to a Pure Trak Talent and it's 1000x better of a combo. The pad is superior in every way in comparison to my old QCK Heavy and it tracks like a dream with DA which can have some slight lift off issues on solid black surfaces.

I have no problem with the performance or comfort with this mouse. I honestly don't find it more or less comfortable than the Logitech but its still very comfortable. My problem revolves around the materials and build quality. When you click the side buttons it makes the same hollow sound that my $9.99 MS optical does, that (and a bunch of other stuff) causes me to question the $50 I shelled out for it. The X5 makes the same noises and has the same materials feel but it only cost $25. At $25 (or even $35) these things don't bother me, at $50 they do.

It's a great mouse if you can get past the quality/price discrepancy.

Back