Dead Space remake (2023)

How are the crashes in the game ? Any ?
I did have some crashing issues, I *think* they were Steam overlay related. It didn't crash for the longest time, then it had some issues, then I shut down Steam (I have it on Origin) and it ran fine.

crazy that the game has only received 1 small patch since launch (6 months)...all the same stuttering issues are still there...hopefully EA Motive haven't abandoned the game...

I hadn't played it in a while but fired it up yesterday for a little bit and it seemed to run fine. Honestly I've never had any problems with it.

I hadn't played it in a while but fired it up yesterday for a little bit and it seemed to run fine. Honestly I've never had any problems with it.
Then you are just oblivious to it like some people are. I have played the game on three different setups and the stuttering is clearly there and it's easily reproducible in the same exact spots over and over and over. It occurs when you run down, practically every hallway and before you get to nearly every door. Settings have practically no impact on it as 720p allo does the same exact stuttering as maxed out settings do. The stuttering is actually there even on consoles too but not as bad. I can tell you that in my testing g-sync makes the stuttering way more noticeable. In fact, I don't consider the game to be acceptable at all with G-Sync enabled.

Then you are just oblivious to it like some people are. I have played the game on three different setups and the stuttering is clearly there and it's easily reproducible in the same exact spots over and over and over. It occurs when you run down, practically every hallway and before you get to nearly every door. Settings have practically no impact on it as 720p allo does the same exact stuttering as maxed out settings do. The stuttering is actually there even on consoles too but not as bad. I can tell you that in my testing g-sync makes the stuttering way more noticeable. In fact, I don't consider the game to be acceptable at all with G-Sync enabled.
Honestly, for me, on a 4090/7800x3D the stutter is almost imperceptible. I’m super prone to stutter of almost any kind as well. I gave up on the Star Wars Jedi game for this reason.

It must be one of those games that, for whatever reason, just doesn’t run well on certain setups.

That Digital Foundry video above - holy god, I’m not seeing anything like that. I mean, that’s just atrocious stutter. What I see, every now and then is the most meagre stutter. I’m serious. I have no patience for stutter anymore.

Honestly, for me, on a 4090/7800x3D the stutter is almost imperceptible. I’m super prone to stutter of almost any kind as well. I gave up on the Star Wars Jedi game for this reason.

It must be one of those games that, for whatever reason, just doesn’t run well on certain setups.

That Digital Foundry video above - holy god, I’m not seeing anything like that. I mean, that’s just atrocious stutter. What I see, every now and then is the most meagre stutter. I’m serious. I have no patience for stutter anymore.
Again I could reproduce the stutters on 3 different setups in the same spots. If I use g-sync I can get similar stutters to what digital foundry is showing but with g-sync off its barely noticeable. When you go one direction its always worse the first time but it is the same exact spots that trigger it over and over. It is is easy to run back and forth in the same area and just watch the frametime spike. And as I mentioned it stutters on consoles in the same spots too so NO ONE is immune to it.

I didn't find stutters to be that bad. Finished the game and will never touch it again so it's all good.

Again I could reproduce the stutters on 3 different setups in the same spots. If I use g-sync I can get similar stutters to what digital foundry is showing but with g-sync off its barely noticeable. When you go one direction its always worse the first time but it is the same exact spots that trigger it over and over. It is is easy to run back and forth in the same area and just watch the frametime spike. And as I mentioned it stutters on consoles in the same spots too so NO ONE is immune to it.
I understand what you’re saying, but the severity of this seems to differ from setup to setup.

I understand what you’re saying, but the severity of this seems to differ from setup to setup.
It certainly seems to. I watched the DF video too before I bought it and I did not see anything near that severe. It wasn't that I couldn't see it in the videos, it was that I did not see that IRL. I'm not saying the game ran flawlessly smooth, but it didn't stutter very bad at all.

this is why i hate discussions about stuttering problems in certain games. discussion centering around "on my setup it's fine so it must be other setups" are utterly and COMPLETELY pointless without hard data like frametime graphs. and it's for precisely the same reason jobert said above, there seems to be a lot of variability in the degree of susceptibility to "feeling" the stutters from person to person.

i remember in the elden ring thread this was a big topic of discussion, to the point where people would upload video of how it "runs fine on my rig" but yet showing the stutter, then saying "well whatever i don't notice it" thus throwing the entire discussion straight into the dumpster.

I’m kind of surprised that of those four games above, Dead Space, Callisto Protocol, Returnal, and Forespoken, that Forespoken is the game that’s improved the most - I would’ve thought that Forespoken would’ve been the game that would have abandoned. Maybe I need to buy it now?

why does Dead Space 2 never seem to go on sale?...currently the 2023 remake ($41.99) and Dead Space 3 ($4.99) are on sale on Steam...even during the recent Steam Summer Sale DS2 wasn't discounted...I have a disc copy of DS2 but the activation key doesn't work on Origin or Steam

why does Dead Space 2 never seem to go on sale?...currently the 2023 remake ($41.99) and Dead Space 3 ($4.99) are on sale on Steam...even during the recent Steam Summer Sale DS2 wasn't discounted...I have a disc copy of DS2 but the activation key doesn't work on Origin or Steam
Strange that it won't active as I put all my disc based EA games on Origin including Dead Space 2.

Anyway it has been 10 bucks or less on nearly every key site for the last decade.

Last edited:
It was on sale for $5 during the "Sports Sale" in May, and Steam apparently has a cooldown on how often you can discount games. The big seasonal sales are exempted from the cooldown, though, so only EA knows why they didn't discount it during the summer sale.

It was on sale for $5 during the "Sports Sale" in May, and Steam apparently has a cooldown on how often you can discount games. The big seasonal sales are exempted from the cooldown, though, so only EA knows why they didn't discount it during the summer sale.

good to know it was $5 recently...I've been watching the Steam sale prices for the past few months and it was always $19.99...I'll keep an eye out for the next $5 sale...DS2 is an excellent game and the only game in the DS franchise (outside of the 2023 remake) that I don't own digitally

Last edited:
nice that it's coming to Game Pass PC but sucks that the developer seems to have abandoned it after 1 patch...according to DF the game still has issues with traversal stutter...

nice that it's coming to Game Pass PC but sucks that the developer seems to have abandoned it after 1 patch...according to DF the game still has issues with traversal stutter...
From my experience - not really a needle-mover. YMMV of course. But a bit of chop when moving between areas, and not under attack - meh. Ideal if it didn't happen of course, but at least it isn't a chop-fest when an evil beasty is trying to make a chop-fest out of my face.

Hey guys, curious, DS 2023 is on sale right now for 35 bucks on steam as part of the halloween sale.

Hold or wait for a higher percentage off? It's been on my wishlist since January and since finishing RE8, I've been feeling the pull of a good horror game with amazing audio.

Hey guys, curious, DS 2023 is on sale right now for 35 bucks on steam as part of the halloween sale.

Hold or wait for a higher percentage off? It's been on my wishlist since January and since finishing RE8, I've been feeling the pull of a good horror game with amazing audio.
If you want to play it, it's absolutely a buy at $35. It was worth buying at $60.

If you want to play it, it's absolutely a buy at $35. It was worth buying at $60.
I just had 2 buddies hit me up on Steam about it going on sale too lol. It sounds like a no brainer across the board! Installing it now, I know what I'm doing with my Sunday :D

Appreciate the fast response Captain!

I use this game to test out Headphones I found the Reverb of the auto Plasma cannon really good with heavy Bass headphones. VZR model ones are my choice for the game Because of all the nuances. Fidelio Phillips are good too but it doesn't pick up much but sound good. I had to trash one set due to stretching the headband never get a x3 get a x2.

I bought the game back on release and had my RTX 3070 installed which unlocked the DLSS for the game, being I have more than 1 computer and use the same Steam on both, when I play with my Intel Arc A770 16Gb from the other rig, I still have DLSS unlocked to use on Intel or AMD in Deep Space 2.

I bought the game back on release and had my RTX 3070 installed which unlocked the DLSS for the game, being I have more than 1 computer and use the same Steam on both, when I play with my Intel Arc A770 16Gb from the other rig, I still have DLSS unlocked to use on Intel or AMD in Deep Space 2.
lol..

What information overlay is that, or is it built in game? Also, nice Windows message :ROFLMAO:
It was OBS that recorded, forgot that I set the display to 1080p and did not change the settings in recorder, that is just Afterburner overlay, it can only watch the card and no control over it as to change anything being it is an Intel Arc card, I will get a key someday lol.. but if Intel made the video card and Nvidia wrote the software we would be in Heaven!

I'll throw this out there for anyone else interested in picking this up on sale, I'm loving this game so far 6 hours in, I feel I'm minutes way from chapter 3 (im playing slow most likely, really taking everything in and scouring the areas for logs).

My rig and monitor are in my sig, and fully maxed with RT on, DLSS Quality, I'm easily averaging 100fps on my 3080. I've had dips as low as 50 since turning RT on, but typically that's been when smashing a shelf full of breakable objects or something like that, RT gets overworked for a split second, but 98% of the time it's around that 100 fps marker.

Personally, I think I'm going to turn RT off and enjoy the game at 120+fps without the rare dips when I resume tomorrow. The grainy filter (which i like personally) feels like it adds to the rawness/stylization of the game but does negate the RT unless I pause and REALLY try to play spot the difference between on/off.

The atmosphere in this game is something else. I'm playing it on a pretty great 2.1 setup and loud (no headphones, i love playing horror games without headphones) and omg the sound design in tbis game is... horrific. Hearing the Stryker like things crawling in the vents right next to you, the vents bursting, the tones/throbbing heartbeat at times... this is amazing.

The combat has a real RE4 type feel to it they say, which I didn't think I'd like going in (never cared much for third person shooters personally), but now that I'm in, yep, it totally works here. The lack of HUD totally adds to the immersion too.

Consider me all in on this game, I cannot wait to see what's waiting for me
in the basement of the medical wing past the barricade i just blew up...

I'll throw this out there for anyone else interested in picking this up on sale, I'm loving this game so far 6 hours in, I feel I'm minutes way from chapter 3 (im playing slow most likely, really taking everything in and scouring the areas for logs).

My rig and monitor are in my sig, and fully maxed with RT on, DLSS Quality, I'm easily averaging 100fps on my 3080. I've had dips as low as 50 since turning RT on, but typically that's been when smashing a shelf full of breakable objects or something like that, RT gets overworked for a split second, but 98% of the time it's around that 100 fps marker.

Personally, I think I'm going to turn RT off and enjoy the game at 120+fps without the rare dips when I resume tomorrow. The grainy filter (which i like personally) feels like it adds to the rawness/stylization of the game but does negate the RT unless I pause and REALLY try to play spot the difference between on/off.

The atmosphere in this game is something else. I'm playing it on a pretty great 2.1 setup and loud (no headphones, i love playing horror games without headphones) and omg the sound design in tbis game is... horrific. Hearing the Stryker like things crawling in the vents right next to you, the vents bursting, the tones/throbbing heartbeat at times... this is amazing.

The combat has a real RE4 type feel to it they say, which I didn't think I'd like going in (never cared much for third person shooters personally), but now that I'm in, yep, it totally works here. The lack of HUD totally adds to the immersion too.

Consider me all in on this game, I cannot wait to see what's waiting for me
in the basement of the medical wing past the barricade i just blew up...
This reads like you never played the original Dead Space (I saw your previous post about it, but don't want to assume). I (and I assume many of us) had these same impressions of the original game back in 2008, hehe. If this is your first time in, you're in for a real treat and one of the dopest horror games in the genre.

What a way to experience it for the first time, too. It would be neat to be able to wipe that portion of my brain and experience some of those moments and locations again for the first time on modern hardware because a lot of it was impressive as hell the first time around, and that was 15 years ago.

It goes without saying that this is a title deserving of a spot in the collections of most horror fans.

This reads like you never played the original Dead Space (I saw your previous post about it, but don't want to assume). I (and I assume many of us) had these same impressions of the original game back in 2008, hehe. If this is your first time in, you're in for a real treat and one of the dopest horror games in the genre.

What a way to experience it for the first time, too. It would be neat to be able to wipe that portion of my brain and experience some of those moments and locations again for the first time on modern hardware because a lot of it was impressive as hell the first time around, and that was 15 years ago.

It goes without saying that this is a title deserving of a spot in the collections of most horror fans.
Yep, Dead Space virgin here :D Honestly not sure how I missed this title back in the day honestly, it had to be because I wasn't really into TPS's, only FPS's. Even now in my 30's I was still skeptical going in on "how can a TPS be scary". I got my answer!

Back