Dead On Arrival

FCK Uncle

n00b
Recieved Ati x800 pro June 9\04. Tried video card on 3
different Computers and all I get is a blank screen. When I disconnect the power to the video card, all three computers gave me the warning beeps that their is no video card connected. When I have the power connected to the video card, the card warms up. I also gave the video card its own 12 volt rail on all three computers. The power supply on the three computers are Antec 480 True power, 420 enermax, and 420 generic brand. I believe that cuts out the power supply as being the problem. The postal package I recieved from XXXX was in good shape. I haven't read anything on the percentage of failure rates for video cards of this calibure,or any for that matter. I assumed they are tested before they leave the factory. Any comments. I RMA it. :(

Sometimes there is a laquere of somekind on the contacts, which go into the AGP slot, that has to be removed.I had this problem before, and I cured it by lightly sanding it. Make sure that this is the problem before you start sanding though.

Doesn´t that risk voiding your warranty? I would kill myself if something like that happens when I finally get my X800XT PE.

But the fans start up and everything you just don´t get any picture?

Your absolutely right there, my suggestion was in case you were in a big hurry to get it working, and wanted to try something albeit a bit risky.

ummm...there should be no lacquer on your video card...that's insane...don't sand anything...send it back...

-eMpTy

And don´t commit suicide! Damn do these things sucks when it happens to you. I know first my 9700 PRO died and since I didn´t want to downgrade I had to get a 9800 PRO since 9700 PRO:s used costed as much as 9800 PRO:s new more or less.

This was in late february so I knew these new cards where coming but I couldn´t live 3 months without a video card I thought.

Anyway ordered it 1st of March and had all kind of problems with it until it most certainly was something wrong with it. RMA it and the reseller I got it from take a service fee say it´s nothing wrong with it and send it back. Try it on 5 mainboards and 3 PSU still no go.
So I am now waiting to send it on my second RMA. So though I got it 1st of march I have been able to use it for one whole week and had to spend 50$ extra for shipping and service fee for work they obviously didn´t do :mad:

I hope something like this don´t happen to you.

So far so good, contacted my supplier, their out of ATI,but have a supply of Sapphire, so I told them when they test the card not to worry about which brand, and send me what brand they have, Ill know Monday when the Man who makes the desicions comes to work. Like I want to wait for a shipment of ATI's. Besides Sapphire make the cards for ATI, from what I've read.

That was fast, they shipped the card on Monday, got a call on Tuesday morning (today) and it works. Did a quick o/c at 525/540 using Ati Tool, running just fine. For your info I moved up from a 9700 pro, have to agree that the second generation was quite an improvement and worth waiting for. For people who are wondering about power usage here are my specs.
cpu = Amd mobile at 2.3 oc , runs fine at 2.5 air cooled
M/B = A7n8x ultra 400
v/c =Sapphire x800 pro
mem = 2x512 samsung 3200
cd drive, cdrw burner, dvd player, zip drive
4x 80 gig maxtors raid
psu = Antec 480 True power
Case = Lian Li
So far no power shortage and im not to worried, I used my cd drive 12 volt rail.
My son is as happy as I am, he gets the 9700 pro and my 1st spare gets the 8500 pro for the Nvidia fans my 2nd spare gets the Gforce 256 and my 2 servers get the Ati 7000, :D :D . By the way Ill keep you informed when I do the pipeline hack. Ill also be doing some more work on O/C the card some more.

Back