[Dead]MicroCenter: $300 7800X3D. $289 7900x. Pricematch with Best Buy.

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
I do need to upgrade my ancient IB-E system... now what motherboard and RAM to pair the 7800X3D with. Wish I was near a Microcenter.

It's taking all of my willpower not to upgrade from my 10900K right now, but I want to hold out for the 8xxx series. :hungry:

Yeah, there is one trident z rgb 7200 with xmp and one neo 6000 with expo, not sure which one to pick for 7800x3d... Also it shows 7800x3d out of stock on microcenter for some reason

At the 7800X3D normal MSRP of around $350-400 (especially that upper end) , I think this bundle makes sense. But at the $300 price tag it's at now, you're not gaining a terrible lot of savings by going for this bundle. AFAIK, that memory (and possibly that motherboard) are kind of a bit sketchy for AM5. Could work, could not. I think for these bundles they usually round up whatever they have a surplus of or something.

For around (300 CPU) + (150-200 motherboard) + ($50-100), you could break even or spend a bit more and actually choose the components. It'll be great when this $300 price goes away, though. 7800X3D for $300 is an insane deal and I suggest people jump on it.

when you price match you have to use a best buy address/store thats near a micro center or maybe just a best buy with microcenter in the state. atleast i did. I told the chat rep a best buy that wasnt in a micro center state, she said she couldnt price match it because its the lowest price in the area. So I said" uhh can i change the store?" she said sure, i googled micro center location and asked for a price match from a best buy near there lol, then she gave it. maybe i got a bad chat rep i dunno.

when you price match you have to use a best buy address/store thats near a micro center or maybe just a best buy with microcenter in the state. atleast i did. I told the chat rep a best buy that wasnt in a micro center state, she said she couldnt price match it because its the lowest price in the area. So I said" uhh can i change the store?" she said sure, i googled micro center location and asked for a price match from a best buy near there lol, then she gave it. maybe i got a bad chat rep i dunno.
Well I guess its YMMV depending upon who you chat with. I price matched a month ago at $320, and I live in Portland Oregon. No resistance.

I also stacked with 8% cashback through retailmenot.

It's taking all of my willpower not to upgrade from my 10900K right now, but I want to hold out for the 8xxx series. :hungry:
Why not just do it and swap out the chip later? You'll be able to recoup some of the chip cost later, but the platform upgrade will serve you for years to come. This is a substantial upgrade that will open up that 4090 for you. I'm a bad influence.

Why not just do it and swap out the chip later? You'll be able to recoup some of the chip cost later, but the platform upgrade will serve you for years to come. This is a substantial upgrade that will open up that 4090 for you. I'm a bad influence.
Indeed. I need a monitor upgrade first. I'm still on a 4K/60hz screen. I only got the 4090 on an impulse when my old 3090 was having issues.

Oooooh I may look to jump on this. Right now I have a 5950x system and honestly do not use all those cores, any suggestions on a solid X670 board?

Oooooh I may look to jump on this. Right now I have a 5950x system and honestly do not use all those cores, any suggestions on a solid X670 board?

There've been a few discussions on AM5 boards in general:
https://hardforum.com/threads/x670e-mobo-for-7800x3d-and-other-recommendations.2030180/
https://hardforum.com/threads/motherboard-for-ryzen-7800x3d.2030864/

My TL;DR recommendation is that if you want to save money, just grab a cheap B650M board. It costs $100-120 and often comes with a 5.0 NVME slot. PCIE 4.0 X16 bandwidth on the GPU socket probably won't be surpassed until like the 6090 RTX at earliest...? The 7800X3D also basically doesn't give a crap about the VRM at all since it uses ~90W maximum. If you want X670E... the motherboards that actually make use of the X670E chipset features start out pretty expensive. Like $400++? If you just want X670E for its own sake, there's the MSI Tomahawk, about $260 atm I believe. Personally I don't see much point in B650E at all, but that's just me.

If you don’t have an issue with the eATX size this is the deal for an AM5 board right now IMO.

I swapped down from x670e to the MSI B650 Edge wifi a few weeks ago and it has been rock solid. I even considered getting on this Taichi Lite deal and switching again but I have everything dialed in and I’m not going to mess with it.

IMG_5682.jpeg

Took about 45 minutes on chat with Best Buy yesterday. They did price match even though my local MC was sold out. Wasn't planning on upgrading anytime soon, for this price I had to jump.

Why do you need X670? Asrock B650E Taichi Lite is looking like the best AM5 board out there. You get 1x PCIe 5.0 x4 NVME, 1x PCIe 5.0 x16 and 2x PCIe 4.0 x4 NVME.

When you start looking at entry level X670(E) boards they are a significant downgrade in most aspects. IMHO you'd have to step up to the MSI MEG X670E Ace to get something worthwhile.

Why do you need X670? Asrock B650E Taichi Lite is looking like the best AM5 board out there. You get 1x PCIe 5.0 x4 NVME, 1x PCIe 5.0 x16 and 2x PCIe 4.0 x4 NVME.

When you start looking at entry level X670(E) boards they are a significant downgrade in most aspects. IMHO you'd have to step up to the MSI MEG X670E Ace to get something worthwhile.

? Confused by this.

The B650E Taichi Lite is still $255. By comparison, the exact same price entry level X670E board:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x670e...13-162-070&cm_sp=product-_-from-price-options
Also contains 4 M2 slots. And unlike the B650E Taichi, none of them share bandwidth with one of the PCIE slots. Because X670E has more lanes. Granted the rest of the PCIE is like 3.0 which is kind of whatever, but... eh.

And for 20$ more:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x670e-pro-rs/p/N82E16813162069?Item=N82E16813162069
5 M2 slots and 6 sata ports (no B650E board can have 6 SATA ports because it's literally out of spec for the chipset, and all of them have less lanes to work with).

Or... a cheaper X670E:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x670e...13-162-068&cm_sp=product-_-from-price-options
Again, 4x M2 slots. I think it's like 1x5.0 and 1 or 2 4.0 slots, but honestly NVME is NVME...

And no you don't need to go up to a Meg ACE to get X670E features. While expensive, the board I have does make really good use of its PCIE lanes:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-mpg-x670e-carbon-wifi/p/N82E16813144550?Item=N82E16813144550
2x 5.0 M2 slots, 2 more M2 slots, 2 5.0 X16(/X8) slots, and 6 sata ports. But $440 is still a lot to swallow. Mine only cost $200...

The only reason to go more expensive is if you need external clock gen for overclocking, per buildzoid's roundup. Anyway, I don't get B650E. Most of them are still very high priced, but they're working with a gimped chipset. Also the Taichi Lite has Killer network card, which is a hit or miss depending...

? Confused by this.

The B650E Taichi Lite is still $255. By comparison, the exact same price entry level X670E board:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x670e...13-162-070&cm_sp=product-_-from-price-options
Also contains 4 M2 slots. And unlike the B650E Taichi, none of them share bandwidth with one of the PCIE slots. Because X670E has more lanes. Granted the rest of the PCIE is like 3.0 which is kind of whatever, but... eh.

And for 20$ more:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x670e-pro-rs/p/N82E16813162069?Item=N82E16813162069
5 M2 slots and 6 sata ports (no B650E board can have 6 SATA ports because it's literally out of spec for the chipset, and all of them have less lanes to work with).

Or... a cheaper X670E:
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x670e...13-162-068&cm_sp=product-_-from-price-options
Again, 4x M2 slots. I think it's like 1x5.0 and 1 or 2 4.0 slots, but honestly NVME is NVME...

And no you don't need to go up to a Meg ACE to get X670E features. While expensive, the board I have does make really good use of its PCIE lanes:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-mpg-x670e-carbon-wifi/p/N82E16813144550?Item=N82E16813144550
2x 5.0 M2 slots, 2 more M2 slots, 2 5.0 X16(/X8) slots, and 6 sata ports. But $440 is still a lot to swallow. Mine only cost $200...

The only reason to go more expensive is if you need external clock gen for overclocking, per buildzoid's roundup. Anyway, I don't get B650E. Most of them are still very high priced, but they're working with a gimped chipset. Also the Taichi Lite has Killer network card, which is a hit or miss depending...
It's not just about how many M.2 slots there are or how vendors allocate available PCIe. The B650E Taichi Lite has onboard power/reset buttons, POST code readout, high quality audio (ALC 4082 with WIMA caps and ES9218 Sabre DAC with 130dB SNR), good rear I/O, excellent build quality/VRM and what I would argue is a perfectly functional layout. Going back on my point of entry level X670E motherboards (like the Asrock X670E Pro RS or Asrock X670E PG Lightning you're mentioning) you lose so many of those benefits. I feel like most people now only populate their GPU slot, and also probably use 3 or less NVMEs making this a perfect candidate.

Obviously if you need more PCIe slots or M.2 slots you might want to consider something else. I'll concede that the MSI X670E Carbon WiFi overall looks like a pretty solid board. After brief research it seems like some people do have issues with the E3100 NIC, but as someone who has used the I225-V B3 stepping (E3100 is based off the I225-V) and I226V I have not encountered any disconnect issues.

It's not just about how many M.2 slots there are or how vendors allocate available PCIe. The B650E Taichi Lite has onboard power/reset buttons, POST code readout, high quality audio (ALC 4082 with WIMA caps and ES9218 Sabre DAC with 130dB SNR), good rear I/O, excellent build quality/VRM and what I would argue is a perfectly functional layout. Going back on my point of entry level X670E motherboards (like the Asrock X670E Pro RS or Asrock X670E PG Lightning you're mentioning) you lose so many of those benefits. I feel like most people now only populate their GPU slot, and also probably use 3 or less NVMEs making this a perfect candidate.

Obviously if you need more PCIe slots or M.2 slots you might want to consider something else. I'll concede that the MSI X670E Carbon WiFi overall looks like a pretty solid board. After brief research it seems like some people do have issues with the E3100 NIC, but as someone who has used the I225-V B3 stepping (E3100 is based off the I225-V) and I226V I have not encountered any disconnect issues.

Mmmm... The post code readout is a fair point, but I feel like a lot of the rest of the features you listed are a more niche. Actually the post code readout is niche too lol. I haven't actually compared rear I/o options for the rest of them though. Now if it includes an external clock gen, it would be quite the bargain for anyone who actually wants to try over clocking. Pointing out my motherboard was honestly more of a joke. For its normal price, it's a lot of money for what most people are not actually going to reasonably use...

I think the b650m line is the true unsung hero of the AM5 platform.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dq4Zxr/asrock-b650m-hdvm2-micro-atx-am5-motherboard-b650m-hdvm2

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qcbRsY/asrock-b650m-pro-rs-wifi-micro-atx-am5-motherboard-b650m-pro-rs-wifi

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7pytt6/gigabyte-b650m-ds3h-micro-atx-am5-motherboard-b650m-ds3h

Like they tend to have a 5.0 m2 slot and no one is actually going to use PCIE 5.0 X16 until the 6090 at the very earliest probably. For the price, perfectly functional and hella cheap.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this goes back on sale soon. I spent $396 on one of these from Amazon but I'm reluctant to open it in case another deal like this pops up.

I have a feeling this is not the last we see of the $300 sale price...it'll be back soon
I am checking everyday for it to pop up for $300 now. My x570 board is dying pieces by pieces. Both ethernet ports are dying and one of my m.2 slots died.

Just bought one of these from Micro Center 6 days ago for $369. Does anyone know if they Black Friday price guarantee like Newegg? I didn't see anything on their website about it.

Seems like most retailers are down to $369 now. Newegg even cheaper at $359. Your move Microcenter. You're supposed to be cheaper than other retailers.
If you combo it with a GPU, Newegg has an additional $26 off.

The best GPU they have for the combo offer, is 7800 XT. The Gigabyte model or a Sapphire reference-----both of which get an additional $20 off, as part of that combo. Solid deal. Can also stack with Bing and Retailmenot cashback, for about 2% more off.

**you can also combo with motherboards, RAM, or SSD.

Man oh man... $289 for a 7900X?! If I had the funds while the sale was on it'd been on like Donkey Kong... Oh well. If I ever do have the cash in the future I did save the link for the ASRock X670E board. After an incident last month I am eager to get away from PGA sockets.

(If you're wondering why upgrade so soon, it's more about giving a close friend my existing motherboard/CPU/RAM than it is for an upgrade for me.)

Last edited:
Down to $350 at MC atm. Waiting for $300 again to pull the trigger.
It's getting very tempting... Must resist buying until Friday at least (or maybe cyber Monday).

Is the Best Buy price match a sure thing? Even if you don't have a Microcenter nearby?

It's getting very tempting... Must resist buying until Friday at least (or maybe cyber Monday).

Is the Best Buy price match a sure thing? Even if you don't have a Microcenter nearby?
I was able to pricematch, from Oregon. No resistance.

I saw one person who said they were initially denied, until changing their store on their account, to one in the same state as a Microcenter.

Which reads more to me as it depends on the customer service rep helping you, via the online chat.

just make sure the product ID number matches on both sites.

Welp, it's officially black friday and the price didn't drop. Whomp.

What do we think? Pull the trigger at $350 or hope that cyber monday is the day that it drops?

My concern is that the price goes back up after today.

Back