Dead HD or mobo ?

FragMagnet

[H]ard|Gawd
My GF has one of my old systems, it's a P4c-2.8 on an Abit IC-7 and XP32. The comp was left on, and she came home to the mouse not responding. Reboot, her son games (Grunts) for an hour, then we watch a video and 40 mins in it locks hard. Reboot, and we get to the point when the graphical part of XP is scrolling, after 1-3 times it reboots.

I open the case and 1 of the 4 hold down rings(NB) is missing from the mobo, and the HS is twisted. So I fix that, and same issue. The primary HD was an IDE WD200JB, with a Sata storage drive and burner. the bios can see and ID the drive. I was able to get her comp to boot from a Ghost 14 rescue cd, and it ran fine. Temps in bios were fine as well.

So I pull the hd and put it into the comp in my sig. The bios sees it, and I can see it as an unitialised 198GB hd in any of the OSe's through the drive managment tools. What I don't see is the partitions (2) ? All 3 OSe's want to initialise it, but at this point I just want to recover the music partition, and any files that I can, or leave it alone if it is ok.

Can I initialise it without losing data/partitions ?
Is there a way to check it without destroying the data, to see if it is faulty ?
Normaly I would research it myself, but she, and her 8 year old son are in a panic to get the comp back, and I'm working 12 hr shifts right now, so any help with this is appreciated.

usually a live cd of ubuntu will allow you to back up the files.. if its in ntfs format it can read it but not write to it.. you would have to use a fat32 partition to write the data too on another drive.. that would be the easiest way to do it.. also if you check this thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1407747 and scroll down toward the bottom theres also a fix to recover the data with paragon partition manager.. theres also a couple other recovery programs listed in that thread as well..

thanks, I'll check out the thread
edit: downloading partition manager now. Just reading that thread reminded me that I may have used Partition magic 2002, to partiton that drive. It was dec 2005 so I can't quite remember. We'll see how it goes

Last edited:
paragon should see it.. i might just be a case where you need to assign it a drive letter to see it on your other system..

Nope, as the program started it said I had 1 disk that it could not work with due to it not having any partitions !

I'm trying the demo version of getdataback. It sees the primary partition so far, but only shows the other one as an extended, but no data for it. I did try the "Recuva" from the other thread, and it didn't help. Thanks for your effort though !

Back