De-lid a Pentium?

jardows

2[H]4U
I am looking at doing a project that will be very space constrained, so heat dissipation will be a major concern. I plan on using a Pentium G4560 or G4600 (really can't afford the "i" processors right now). I do plan on trying out some underclocking/undervolting to keep heat down, but wondered if delidding and using a better TIM would provide enough benefit in temperature reduction on these processors to be worth it. What do you guys think?

Sure why not. I delided a 3258 mostly just to try it out using the vice technique, went well enough.

I am looking at doing a project that will be very space constrained, so heat dissipation will be a major concern. I plan on using a Pentium G4560 or G4600 (really can't afford the "i" processors right now). I do plan on trying out some underclocking/undervolting to keep heat down, but wondered if delidding and using a better TIM would provide enough benefit in temperature reduction on these processors to be worth it. What do you guys think?

its not really the TIM as much as its the core to IHS diffence that make the difference.
The process is fairly simple if you use the vice method with that protective madohickey that kyle tested. it takes a few minutts to pup off the lidt and then maybe around 20 minuttes getting all the clue stuff of the PCB of the CPU.
just remember to to it slowly and safely. do half turns at a time on the vice and give give it 10-20 secs tosettle before doing another half turn.

Back