DDR=II Memory from Crucial: *OUCH*

ouch!

I have 2gb of PC3200 in all my systems and I dont thing they all came to just what 2gb would cost of DDR2 in one system.

Urgh..

How about some optimism in this thread?

I'm glad to see that 1 GB will be a standard size for DDR-II modules in the future. With games and applications requiring more and more RAM lately, it's good to see we won't need to waste free slots on 512 MB modules.

Well, that's about the only bit of optimism I can generate with regards to the current state of DDR-II...

Originally posted by xonik
How about some optimism in this thread?

i915 will support DDR I.

:)

Yes, there will be a premium for DDR2 early, but right now no one is producing it (for desktop computers anway), and no one is buying it so I'm not sure pricing right now is indicative of what we'll see after we have some supply and some demand. Wait for the laws of economics to work their magic.

DDR2 is only good for current generation Intel cores, where bandwidth is everything and the high latency gets hidden in the long pipeline. However it will be just as bad for next-gen Intel chips (starting with Tejas) as it is for current AMD64 chips. Both have on-die memory controller, and the huge timings totally defeat the whole purpose of having one. GGDR-3 is good though.

how do you know tejas will have the on die memory controller? anyway, tejas will still be netburst, with long pipelines, and with the speed advances (667 and 533 mhz ddr2) the latency problems won't be too bad. anyway, the price premium will all but be gone about a year from now, new tech always costs alot at launch.

anyway, tejas will still be netburst, with long pipelines,
According to the latest Intel's roadmap, Nehalem will be the last netburtst core. But it seems to be changing every week.

Originally posted by ScretHate
You took highschool economics too?

uh well no. i will next year, and i plan on majoring in it in college.

however, its kind of hard to tell while reading words, but was there some sarcasm laced in there?

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
According to the latest Intel's roadmap, Nehalem will be the last netburtst core. But it seems to be changing every week.
Tejas has always been the last netburst core, Nehalem is Intels next completely new architecture, but possibly scrapped now in light of merom (pentium-m on the desktop)

Originally posted by rayman2k2
uh well no. i will next year, and i plan on majoring in it in college.

however, its kind of hard to tell while reading words, but was there some sarcasm laced in there?
yea, he was being sarcastic.

High demand + low volume = high prices
low demand + high volume = low prices

Demand = higher production which leads to overstock = high volume + low demand = low prices

Originally posted by 0ldman
yea, he was being sarcastic.

High demand + low volume = high prices
low demand + high volume = low prices

Demand = higher production which leads to overstock = high volume + low demand = low prices

oh

you see, what i meant was that there are very few, if any, DDRII mainboards. but as more roll onto the market, those prices will most definately come down.

The question is, where will be the demand to 1) make the motherboards in the first place, and 2) buy PCs with this RAM?

DDR-II as of yet offers little to no performance advantage. People as a whole are resistant to change, so what about DDR-II will compel people to switch? With DDR-II, there isn't even a cost savings, so what's the point right now?

Originally posted by xonik
The question is, where will be the demand to 1) make the motherboards in the first place, and 2) buy PCs with this RAM?

DDR-II as of yet offers little to no performance advantage. People as a whole are resistant to change, so what about DDR-II will compel people to switch? With DDR-II, there isn't even a cost savings, so what's the point right now?

yeah, are there any advantages to going to DDRII? Lower latencies? anything?

ddr2 won't be compelling until we hit the higher speed grades, the 533 to a small extent and the 667, and finally the 800. those are the advantages, unfortunately the only reasons to get ddr2 400 ram are chip density and power use/heat emmision, both of which are almost irrelevant in a desktop situation.

Originally posted by rayman2k2
oh

you see, what i meant was that there are very few, if any, DDRII mainboards. but as more roll onto the market, those prices will most definately come down.

you guys got the demand down but you forgot about the competivness of the market, that always drives prices down, guranteed =P

Please, please keep the Inq angst out of this thread. For one, I disagree with you, and for another, it will kill this thread.

Demand, Competetiveness, production. These are the factors that will drive down the costs. Stop and think about it. Remember RAMBUS? ( who could forget) Well, even rambus was sold in Dell systems. Once it becomes accepted technology and a few POS manufacturers incorporate it into their lines, then the cost will come down.
New technology, high startup costs and uncertain markets will leave the cost at the sticker shock level for a bit, but it'll clear up.

Back