DD: The Official "Post What You've Found" Thread (pics!!)

well, first night ever dumpster diving, and we get stopped by the fuzz..
luckly, i have a masters degree at bullshit which got us out of any trouble we could have gotten into by telling the truth.

DSCF0482.jpg

There were probably 30-40 more of those huge pillows in the dumpster, all encased in plastic, but I didnt need that many, so i took a nice suade blue/purple one and a white one.. oh, you can also see the fuzzy mice cat toys i got from a petsmart

l337*g0at said:
luckly, i have a masters degree at bullshit which got us out of any trouble we could have gotten into by telling the truth.

DSCF0482.jpg

There were probably 30-40 more of those huge pillows in the dumpster, all encased in plastic, but I didnt need that many, so i took a nice suade blue/purple one and a white one.. oh, you can also see the fuzzy mice cat toys i got from a petsmart

Nice find. where were those pillows? What area (gives his crappy pillows an evil look)

NW Houston, in the dumpster behind Mattress Firm..

There must have been 20 more white ones, and almost 10 different shades of the blue-ish purple ones.

went diving while on vacation and i found a slot loading cd rom, very old! but nice! 5.1 creative sound blast live! and a hard drive, unknown gb! i reallly badly needed a soundcard and the motherworked!! i almost pissed my pants, i actually wanted to go home early so i could install the sound card!

I have been going out for a few months now and last night was an AWESOME score!

Staples:

This chair:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...1&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=615402

It was thrown out because it was "missing bolts" everything was still new in packaging just didn't have the bolts. $2.17 at the hardware store fixed that issue.

This really ugly laptop bag, brand new I don't know why they chucked it other than the fact its hideous.

800x600_IMG_0958.jpg

And this which works fine (its just really stupid over USB):

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...0051&langId=-1&productId=151316&cmArea=SEARCH

We also got tons of new pens in boxes (nice for school), New desk lamp, New leather PDA case, Leather laptop case (slashed on the front from a box cutter I'm assuming), Automatic stapler, 50pk of DVD+R, 50pk CD-R, and an "OPEN" sign.

From Office Max:

My prize!

800x600_IMG_0957.jpg

$200 Epson photo printer! It said "broken" and I guess by being "broken" they ment that someone didn't push the ink cartridge lock thing down all the way... I pushed it down all the way and it works perfectly fine!

1 brand new paper shredder, thrown for "missing UPC"

1 Paper shredder that "does't stay on" haven't tested it yet.

There was a ton more stuff but it wasn't that great, our car was full so we called it a night.

DD FTW!!

DSCF0482.jpg

Those are some sweet pillows.

This is my first DD post. I've read this thread many months ago and wished I was lucky enough to find some of this good loot I've been reading about . Well yesterday I looked down the drive at my apartment complex and noticed a computer chair sitting by the trash along with some other junk. As I got closer, I saw that the chair was missing a wheel but decided to go further and examine everything. Lo and behold, there was a HP 7850 desktop computer. P3 933mhz, 1 stick 128 mb pc100 and 40 gig drive according to the stickers on the case.
I took it home and plugged it in and it said "no operating system found."
I took the drive out of the case and saw that it was in fact a 80gb WD drive. I put it in my machine, the bios recognized it but windows would not. I downloaded some diagnostic tool from western digital website and ran it and now I have an 80gb drive whereas previously I only had a 30gb drive. Not to mention the other working parts.

I was freaking out happy. I had been wanting a new hard drive for months but im poor.

This is my first DD post. I've read this thread many months ago and wished I was lucky enough to find some of this good loot I've been reading about . Well yesterday I looked down the drive at my apartment complex and noticed a computer chair sitting by the trash along with some other junk. As I got closer, I saw that the chair was missing a wheel but decided to go further and examine everything. Lo and behold, there was a HP 7850 desktop computer. P3 933mhz, 1 stick 128 mb pc100 and 40 gig drive according to the stickers on the case.
I took it home and plugged it in and it said "no operating system found."
I took the drive out of the case and saw that it was in fact a 80gb WD drive. I put it in my machine, the bios recognized it but windows would not. I downloaded some diagnostic tool from western digital website and ran it and now I have an 80gb drive whereas previously I only had a 30gb drive. Not to mention the other working parts.

I was freaking out happy. I had been wanting a new hard drive for months but im poor.

Good for you man! You never know what you're going to find...:D

Found some hella nice small round Xeon fog lamps, just the housing and bulbs, no extra wiring...but I've got plenty of that. Way bright.

Not really a DD.. but.. if I had waited a few hours it would have been

IT guy at work was swapping out PC's..

I grabbed 6.. 4 are P3 800's that will be NAS box's for myself and friends

1 P4 unkown speed and stats.. that is yet to be looked at

the best one.. P4 2.8ghz 512DDR 40gb Sata working PC.. and the CPU is a Socket 775.. Prescott..

that is the GF's new PC.. I am formating and reloading it now.. I had to agree to format it so the IT guy would let me take it..

Not really a DD.. but.. if I had waited a few hours it would have been

IT guy at work was swapping out PC's..

I grabbed 6.. 4 are P3 800's that will be NAS box's for myself and friends

1 P4 unkown speed and stats.. that is yet to be looked at

the best one.. P4 2.8ghz 512DDR 40gb Sata working PC.. and the CPU is a Socket 775.. Prescott..

that is the GF's new PC.. I am formating and reloading it now.. I had to agree to format it so the IT guy would let me take it..

They may have ended up in the dumpster. So to quote Mills Lane "I'll allow it!":D
Nice find!

76 pages of credit card numbers, gift card numbers, checking account numbers... at CompUSA :eek:
They don't have the CSV codes. I threw them back in the dumpster once I actually read them. Someone should get fired. They weren't even shredded!

Aside from that I found 2 large printers (don't look too old, Epson) and like every single cable you could ever need for a computer.

i convinced my girlfriend of 13 months to go out DD'ing for our first time together tonight! we are new to this area, so we just drove around and stopped at strip malls and some of the bigger B&M stores (BB, OD, Staples, Frys)... most of the big names had compactors, but some of the other stores didnt! we got some cool stuff for our first time out! i'll post pics tomorrow, but here is a rough list:

100 pairs of sports socks
huge duffel bag (brand new)
large posturepedic pillow
2 Bibles
a bunch of inexpensive jewelry
tons of soccer gear
lots of under armor gloves (football/soccer)

^Oooh, Under Armor? I could use a pair, but my nearest retailer is a good 20 minute drive and overpriced. Got and adult extra small or small?

On my way to work today I saw a G3 tower still in great shape... snatched her up :D

First night ever poking around. I waited until the night before the trucks are to pick up the loads at the local mall. Nobody around and I poke in the Gamestop trashbin, avoiding making a mess for the emoployees. Whoa! What's this? Two almost new floormats. Sweet first find! I'm totally hooked. First dumpster I look in and a score! Whoohooo!

Ok, I check a few other stores and find mostly odds and ends not worthy of being picked up.

After checking behind Staples I find a chair that looks interesting. Upon further review it seems that the back part is broken.

No worries, thankfully the Staples grunts didn't take the box cutter to the bottom part of the chair. I can hack of the backing and just use the lower portion as a stool. Not a bad first night. I was just going for a walk and then thought of this thread. I thought, hmmm, what could it hurt to take a quick peek in the bin...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So, last nite was really a spur of the moment thing. Left my dad's house around 1, decide to hit the dumpsters instead of going home. So glad I did. First was Slaveples, just got like 3 of those cable ties, a pack of shipping labels and thats it. Then the second statples and gamestoop were empty. I decide to hit OfficeDespot after a long time not going there, and JACKPOT!.

dd_1.jpg

Case full of Pens and Markers
~60 DVD+5's and 90 Gold Aptiva CD-R
2 Logitech MX5000 Bluetooth Keyboad/Mouse Combo
Swiss Travel Case
Breifcase

12 Extra Large Sharpies, 6 Super Fine Sharpies, 2 Large Sharpies (S), 8 Mechanical Pencils (S), 3 Pack of .07mm Lead (One Pack broke cause I threw it), 2 packs of HB2 Drawing Lead, 3 Pack of Retractable Sharpies, 1 Retractable Whiteout Pen, 8 Gel Pens, 8 Gel Colored Pens with Pocket Protecter, 1 Pack of SHipping Labels, 1 Box of 8 packs of 3 4-colored Pens (S), About 60 good DVD+R, about 90 Good Gold CD-Rs, One Swiss Laptop Wheeled Travel Pack, one Fortiva Breifcase, and finally, 2 almost whole Logitech MX5000 Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse combos. 1 was missing the bluetooth adaptor and usb extender cable (With a slightly messed up mouse) and the other was missing a power adaptor and the mouse cradle. I'm typing on it right now (After a bit of fighting with OS X 10.4) The dongle is a standard bluetooth adaptor so I am damn happy.
(s) means from Slaveples, from last week. Everything else was from OfficeDespot last night, and it wasn't everything in the dumpster. There was 3 shredders. the display keyboard (soaked) and other stuff that didn't interest me :D

PM if you're interested in anything :D

damn nice haul

why the hell do stores throw out perfectly good things :p

It's easier to write the merchandise off as a loss (tax purposes) than it is to dedicate time/resources to sell it. Also have to make way for new merchandise.

I don't understand why it isn't donated to second hand stores/salvation army/etc. If all the B&M stores donated stuff it'd be good for the public and the landfills.

It's easier to write the merchandise off as a loss (tax purposes) than it is to dedicate time/resources to sell it. Also have to make way for new merchandise.

I don't understand why it isn't donated to second hand stores/salvation army/etc. If all the B&M stores donated stuff it'd be good for the public and the landfills.

I don't think you can report it as a loss if you donate it in...

what do you guys tell the police if they suddenly caught you DDing?

They came up to me once, and I said I was looking for boxes...and he just said "Ok, well this is a private property. So please just move on." And I left and went to another dumpster. :p

Just found 10 boxes of Kodak Ecktacolor F photo processing paper in KMart's dumpster!! This stuff is mad expensive, worth about $90/roll. At 2 rolls per box, 10 boxes, I could make some $$$ on ebay. It's in mint condition too.

On bulk pickup day i found...

1 spool of 8 gauge wire. sold on ebay for $35
1 half spool of coaxial cable. sold on ebay for $75

At my HS, I found 30 dell optical mouses and a bunch of dell windows xp restore CDs

just picked up a white ds lite, sp, and some HD component cable that was super thick behind CC over the weekend. they were still on the demo stands so we had a bitch of a time getting them out...bent part of the ds lite but the both work flawlessly. will post pics later.

Not really a dumpster dive, but I did save it from going into the dumpster.
My school was going to throw away all the old shitty computers, all of them were shit except this server. It had a cool case and a CD-Burner so I thought it couldn't be too shit.

Cube001.jpg

Cube003.jpg

Cube004.jpg

Has a Pentium 3, a couple of SCSI drives, and it even had a burner :)

I'm thinking that I may turn this into a water cooling project... If I have money to blow.

Sure no problem.

I'm thinking I might put a nice AMD 4200 X2 build in there or something.

Front cover off
Cube005.jpg

Cube006.jpg

Cube008.jpg

Cube010.jpg

^ PowerMan PSU? Not bad. If memory serves, those are FSP-based. Pretty decent for an old school setup.

Wow that looks sick, looks gay now but after a few paint jobs and such it would look like a beast.

obvioubsly being overly pendament in nature, I 'd have to state WAY Much!;)

got to take the cat by surprise at less than 4min, 54 sesk in a high statement of surprise! Either I am too bored or I have too much time or bestly a mix both!!!

Take care my fellow Forumimtes

what do you guys tell the police if they suddenly caught you DDing?

I didn't say too much last time I went. Ended up getting taken to the police station and getting detained for 4 hours while the police checked out backgrounds and our story.

Was at the Fairfax County Dump, last weekend, they had a giant Xerox machine in the waste pile, plus some PII machines. My friend asked if any of the components in them were worth money, heh; the only useful thing they had were a couple of thumb screws.

My local community college was giving away 15"-17" CRT monitors used in their labs as they were upgrading to LCD. Picked up about 20 of em :) All good quality, nothing name brand (AOC, etc.)

Back