DD Soundstorm Audio Noob Needs help!

dotZIP

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I just bought myself some Logitech Z680's and connected them to my Shuttle's soundstorm (optical) and I was wondering how you copy music from the two stereo speakers to all 5 in winamp 5. If anyone can help I'd be much obliged.

Sorry I'm not sure how to do it, but most people would want to do the exact opposite and prevent it from going to all 5 speakers.

dotZIP said:
Hey,

I just bought myself some Logitech Z680's and connected them to my Shuttle's soundstorm (optical) and I was wondering how you copy music from the two stereo speakers to all 5 in winamp 5. If anyone can help I'd be much obliged.

Usually this kind of thing is found in the driver control panel for your sound card. It's often referred to as Virtual 5.1 or something like that. Have you already looked around the control panel?

yeah, i already looked around, couldn't find anything to do "virtual 5.1"
I have audio driver version 4.31 if that helps

i'm pretty sure winamp has a 5.1 coversion plugin. it not, try foobar2k, it has it.

but... music on 5.1 just isnt....good. its best to hear it as 2.1 or 2.0

music in 5.1 only works well if you have dolby pro-logic II.

For that you need a reciever set-up, most if not all PC speakers lack pro logic II.

mustang_steve said:
music in 5.1 only works well if you have dolby pro-logic II.

For that you need a reciever set-up, most if not all PC speakers lack pro logic II.
"LOGITECH Z680 THX CERTIFIED SPEAKERS
True Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround sound with built-in hardware decoding
Dolby Pro Logic® II decoding creates a 5.1 soundfield from two-channel sound sources THX® certification ensures top sound quality"

You should be using the Pro-logic 2 Music for music, makes sense doesn't it? Use the movie mode for tv shows and films that don't have a 5.1 track of their own.

Thanks a lot everyone. I assumed that there would be something that could do it in winamp, guess I just proved what happens when you assume. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... next problem, I don't get any sound from optical from my TV tuner: Leadtek WinTV2000 Expert.

I have the drivers that came from the CD as the new ones were really screwed up for me (I couldn't get radio from it as well as a few other problems).

Sorry to bother everyone again :( , but i'm confused and a stoopid audio n00b :confused:.

dotZIP said:
Hmmm... next problem, I don't get any sound from optical from my TV tuner: Leadtek WinTV2000 Expert.

I have the drivers that came from the CD as the new ones were really screwed up for me (I couldn't get radio from it as well as a few other problems).

Sorry to bother everyone again :( , but i'm confused and a stoopid audio n00b :confused:.

Well tv tuners and the SN45 is kind of tricky. But now you are saying "optical" (aka soundstorm) while as before you were talking about analogue speakers.

So you need to be clear as to which you are using, the optical out on the SN45 or the analoge outputs (not soundstorm).

Also you need to describe in detail how you have the tv tuner audio ports connected to your computer.

Well, I'm trying to get everything to work with optical. The TV tuner audio doesn't work at all, no screwed up sound, nothing.

The TV tuner is connected via cable to the CD audio on my motherboard with an internal audio cable

I had the same problem with my tv tuner.

You have to specify, in your case cd audio, as a digitized input for it to work with your optical output.

In the nvidia control panel, did you specify your speakers as 5.1 Dolby Digital? With mine set up that way everything is automatically in 5.1.

slpaulson said:
I had the same problem with my tv tuner.

You have to specify, in your case cd audio, as a digitized input for it to work with your optical output.

In the nvidia control panel, did you specify your speakers as 5.1 Dolby Digital? With mine set up that way everything is automatically in 5.1.

Thx a lot man, can't believe I didn't think of that. Radio works (TV is out in my building so I can't test that yet... stupid rez)

im gonna assume that you have the 5.1 settings setup in your control panel for soundstorm..... so here's what i had to do

go to the preferences in winamp then go to Plugins>>Output>>DirectSound

In Direct Sound make sure the "primary sound driver" isn't select and the nForce audio is.

Back