DCOM 10016 error-MS flight sim crash

GregTombstone

Limp Gawd
I have started to get crashs while playing ms Flight sim 10. After about 5 minutes sound goes crackley and them machine lock or crashs (blue Screen) on reboot event log show above message. Lowered visuals on game but still does same

Did search on net for DCOM and there are quite a few articles on switching it off. Seems its a very invasive bit of code. Has any one had a similar prob. Only changes to hardware etc are xp service pack 3 and 2 gig ram about 8 weeks ago.

Thought I had downloaded the proper release- I have version V3311 is this a beta- would probably explain problem if it is. What I read about dcom was that you were better diabling it in the bios-dont want to do that at this stage until i find out more-if I have a beta release of sp3 I will probably un install it-what do you think

regards

greg

If you're talking about DCOM - Distributed Component Object Model... you can't disable it in BIOS.

That error means that an application is trying to activate a DCOM server (which sends data/etc between objects, sometimes between computers) and it doesn't have permission to. Microsoft changed the way default permissions are handled when XP came out, and I wouldn't doubt it they're screwing with them again in SP3.

The main place for DCOM settings is in dcomcnfg (Start -> Run -> type dcomcnfg), Under Console Root -> Component Services -> Computers you can right click on My Computer, go to the Default Properties tab and totally disable DCOM. Unfortunately, this might break a ton of stuff. Click on "DCOM Config" under "My Computer" and you'll see all the programs that use it.

I'm not liable if you break your computer. I write software that makes use of DCOM, but the general solution to problems is to totally relax the security on it. Not something you'd wanna do. :)

Thanks Synapsis-to be honest all I know about dcom is this-http://www.updatexp.com/dcom-windows-xp.html and I would not consider myself competent enough to go messing in the reg-although an in law is a wizz at that stuff. I reckon I will remove sp3 if this wont mess things up further in your opnion.

"grasshopper" greg

Back