dbrand Encourages Sony to Sue Them Over Faceplates

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
ps5-dbrand-3.png

"As the title of this post suggests, we’re now the global leaders in PS5 Faceplates.

Sue us, Sony.

This project has been in the works since just before we told you not to buy PlayStation 5 skins. Spoiler alert: this is why we told you not to buy PlayStation 5 skins.

After moving a few more chess pieces through four dimensions, we added a new production line to our plastic injection molding facility and got to work. The skills we’ve refined through the past few years of developing the Grip Case has uniquely positioned our organization to create OEM-grade Faceplates: ones with all of the precision, attention to detail, and needlessly elaborate packaging that you’ve come to expect from dbrand.

We’ll be entering mass production on PS5 Faceplates by year’s end. However, we won’t be accepting orders until we have stock at our Toronto HQ, ready to ship. If CD Projekt RED has taught us anything, it’s that selling products before they’re finished is a bad idea.

If you’re among the millions of humans who didn’t get a PS5 for Christmas, stay calm when you see these go out-of-stock. We anticipate that the demand will outpace supply at launch, but rest assured Faceplates will be a permanent fixture in our portfolio.

On the other hand, if you’re among the millions of scalpers hoping to differentiate their overpriced PS5 with a custom faceplate, we encourage you to sign up for the launch notification here.

That’s it from us. Congratulations on surviving 2020. We’ll try harder in 2021."

SOURCE

And for those that are wondering what the fuss is all about, in early November, Sony sent a cease and desist letters to a company to stop them from making faceplates for PS5. SOURCE I'm not sure what their legal standing would be for doing this unless somehow 3rd party faceplates negatively impacted the PS5 cooling as some have suggested.

How could Sony have a case in this? Its just a vinyl wrap that goes over the Playstation.

They're free to make custom parts for the PS5, just like aftermarket car-part manufacturers are free to make non-OEM door panels, fenders, light assemblies, sideskirts, etc.

I think that Sony is relying entirely on the power of intimidation here, but that there is no legal backing for their opposition to 3rd-party PS5 parts. Big companies try to pull stuff like this all the time, and it's important they're stopped before the misconception that they are allowed to do these things sets in due to people assuming what's lawful based on what they see being done - as has sometimes been the unfortunate case.

How could Sony have a case in this? Its just a vinyl wrap that goes over the Playstation.
I suspect because Sony themselves want to ensure this potential revenue stream remains open to them and them alone.
It also sounds like it's actual manufactured, plastic replacement parts - which is awesome. I signed up for the notification.

What is old is new again. Sony will switch to black eventually. Or maybe a dark metallic gray.

Microsoft has been going back and fourth. Xbox - black. 360 - white, then changed to black part way through. One - black, then changed to white with the S model. X model was black.

Series X - black. Series S - white. Seems like Microsoft may have settled on higher end = black, lower end = white.

I suspect because Sony themselves want to ensure this potential revenue stream remains open to them and them alone.
BINGO, give schoolslave a big round of applause, 'cause they hit the nail precisely on the head....

The greed, the need, the deed, the bleed..... and so on and so on....

Believe me, if Sony (or any other big mfgr) wanted to file a lawsuit over anything even remotely similar to this, they would have done so already. And should they ever decide to do so, they will probably go bankrupt in the process, >UNLESS< they could somehow prove that these faceplates somehow infringed on one or more of their copyrights or substantially altered/harmed the market/customers perceptions of the console, or negatively impacted the performance or usability of the PS5.... which in turn would could perhaps entitle them to a significant damages award...

Next upcoming headline:

Sony sues scalpers for not paying them a cut of their outlandish profits, or for not including a sony-branded faceplace along with the consoles, hehehehe :wacky:🤑

And for those that are wondering what the fuss is all about, in early November, Sony sent a cease and desist letters to a company to stop them from making faceplates for PS5. SOURCE I'm not sure what their legal standing would be for doing this unless somehow 3rd party faceplates negatively impacted the PS5 cooling as some have suggested.

It doesn't matter if it negatively impacts cooling or not. Its not Sony's purview to say who can sell what to mod their equipment all they can do is say installing this voids your warranty...much like they told me that plugging a PS1 into a surge protector voided the warranty.

Make it in PS1 gray
And hack the intro to the good old days!

I want to have that sound when I boot up my phone but it's somewhat delayed and doesn't complete. Also want to change the boot animation to a Playstation 1 style variety.

Heard about the company with the faceplates which is complete and utter bullshit what Sony did. Did they sue the companies that had custom PS2 stands back in the day?

Back