Dave the Diver

MavericK

Zero Cool
Anyone else playing this? I didn't see a thread for it. Really fun game loop, I've been putting a lot of time into it and it runs great on the Steam Deck.

I see what you did there

I've been reading good things about it too. But the graphics put me off just after occasionally looking at it.
If you think of it as Stardew Valley-ish (not really, but kinda) it's a bit easier to swallow. I've been having a lot of fun with it, though. They throw in a bunch of different mechanics throughout the story to keep it fresh, and the general gameplay loop of diving -> managing resources and farms -> running the sushi restaurant is pretty satisfying.

It's GotY for me so far. A lot of exploration, new mechanics are introduced often, upgrades, the resource/business management isn't tedious, etc. Just a lot of fun. I didn't go to bed before 2am for the first week that I had it. RL stuff came up and has kept me from it but I'm excited to jump back in.

Wow, sounds like I might have to take another look at this game. I usually cannot get past such low fi graphics.

This game is insane and I love it. Just got the event where the gun guy dreams about being at the anime concert and I absolutely lost it while trying to do the mouse stuff lmao.

An exceptionally well done little title, stylish graphics, interesting characters, and a wide variety of interesting gameplay mechanics. Definitely worthwhile.

Absolutely had a blast with the game. Took me about 30 hours to finish the story. Still much to do if I wanted to complete all the things I suspect. Gonna take a break from it for now. Played it exclusively on the deck too.

I finished this and highly recommend it. All told, I played for around 40 hours and enjoyed it the entire time.

That said, I think replayability is zero.

Reactions: zrikz
like this
Dredging this up to say I'm just starting this and frankly unsure what the heck I am doing with the sushi place.

Just got into chapter 3.. apparently I need more time to night dive? Killed the giant glow-tail thing. Died a few times.. unsure how to min/max that sushi to profit enough to really upgrade my gear past level 4, but scoring 4-5 each night for sushi rating.

A little worried about seeing some bleached coral fields.

I'll have to keep the content pack in the back of my mind.

It's like some sadist mashed thirty minigames into one coherent ball and some how.. against all odds, I am enjoying it? What a back door whammy.

unsure how to min/max that sushi to profit enough to really upgrade my gear past level 4, but scoring 4-5 each night for sushi rating.
I usually just sort by price and put the most expensive stuff out. The squids you can capture during night diving were my top earners for a while.

I did no looking into this game and bought it because quite a few friends who I share very similar gaming tastes with were enjoying it.

Far more effort than I thought it would be, and I lost interest very very quickly. I dunno, didnt appeal to me in the least. Did maybe ~25 min of play before I shelved it. Wish I hadnt bought it. Just not a game for me.

I am enjoying it? What a back door whammy.
Put the game down after I wrapped up the story at about hour 30 mark, and spent another 20 hours mopping up some achievements and the DLC. It definitely was a nice distraction while my area was hit with three weeks of unrelenting subzero temperatures and snow.

Over all - a positive experience, but I really didn't feel I was getting the swing of the sushi things until late game but that may be when I had more time to focus on getting an employee to level 20 for the achievement.

For the most part I found a few top tier dishes based on fish from the vent/glacial zone areas and really hammered those. Also I didn't realize 'auto supply' was a thing in the menu planning until mid game. Once I focused up on what top plates netted me the most money that simplified what I was diving for.

The fish pens helped keep the branch place filled with mediocre fish while I was just pumping up the 600-700/plate stuff. That worked well to get some cash to find better employees, train them to about level 11, and then focus up on getting money to push one to 20. Super late game I only started using an employee to fetch ingredients, but took a few turns of advertising before I found someone capable of that.

I didn't flip to top tier cooksta until after getting that level 20 employee.

Gardening was a chore, but ended with only one upgrade to the rice field, only two rows of veggies, and three chickens. This kept me up and going on my dishes well. That and after having a decent bank roll I was straight buying the max of three veggies each day from the guy.

Weapon upgrades were a little more odd. Netgun was to final form of a steel trap. That really helped with tuna and bigger fish. Sniper rifle was to top tier 'death' and that was sufficient for anything else. Tranq was to the level right below top. Knife was maxed out. I never really touched the other weapons or variants.

Gear - Air maxed out, suit depth maxed, storage was one below max, two drones, and two lobster traps.

Sea folk I had five rows of upgraded what ever kelp growing, but that was probably over kill.

Only raised one gyao and that was one too many for me, and got most of the Fishmon but the last three.

The story was funny, and the mechanics were initially a bit overwhelming, but that settled down. Cursing the RNG on a map for a type of fish not showing up or yelling at sharks to go away was a fun pastime.

The DLC was a nice addition, but only did one round of Dredge-fishing before I hit my last required achievement and put down the game.

Back