Dark Souls 3

the blood splatter is in DS3...maybe not the same amount of blood splash but the effect is still there

Here is what my character looks like after fighting some enemies:
GjSIWQu.jpg

Doesn't look at all like blood or anything like this:

bloodborneblood-1.jpg

Here is what my character looks like after fighting some enemies:

if you're talking about the way your character looks then no you don't get blood drenched all over your character...when attacking enemies blood does spray out all over the place and onto your screen like Bloodborne

I think Undead are a little low on blood in general. Not like the juicy bags you're usually dealing with in Bloodborne.

Ok eff that
Old Demon King
boss. Must have taken like 15 tries. Have no patience when you have to wait forever just to get in one strike and repeat lol.

Nvidia GeForce HotFix driver 364.96 may boost Dark Souls 3 fps

While the release notes don’t refer directly to Dark Souls 3, some of the back and forth in the official GeForce forums thread suggests they might be worth a try...in response to a question (“will this driver fix the framerate issue in 600 series cards? across all games? even dark souls 3?“) from a user called ‘Shotgun Sean’, Nvidia representative Manuel Guzman replies “Yes it includes a fix for the FPS drop.”...in a follow-up post, the same representative reiterates “This driver does fix a bug where users would see a big drop in FPS with the last two drivers.”...

GeForce Hot Fix driver version 364.96

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...s/announcing-geforce-hot-fix-driver-364-96/1/

Aren't the 364 edition of drivers known for being really unstable and even causing some people's cards to brick? That's why I've stayed on earlier drivers.

While the release notes don’t refer directly to Dark Souls 3, some of the back and forth in the official GeForce forums thread suggests they might be worth a try...in response to a question (“will this driver fix the framerate issue in 600 series cards? across all games? even dark souls 3?“) from a user called ‘Shotgun Sean’, Nvidia representative Manuel Guzman replies “Yes it includes a fix for the FPS drop.”...in a follow-up post, the same representative reiterates “This driver does fix a bug where users would see a big drop in FPS with the last two drivers.”...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...s/announcing-geforce-hot-fix-driver-364-96/1/

Aren't the 364 edition of drivers known for being really unstable and even causing some people's cards to brick? That's why I've stayed on earlier drivers.

I haven't checked for drivers in a while so thanks for the heads up - there's a superstitious part of me that says to only install even-numbered point releases :)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give these a go tonight. I still get the FPS drops around bonfires on my Titan X.

I always get a fps drop/hitch when it saves. Like after picking up an item or reading a message etc. It's just a brief stutter. Other than that has seemed locked at 60fps. Is this what people are referring too with fps drops, or are the fps drops a constant thing in certain areas?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give these a go tonight. I still get the FPS drops around bonfires on my Titan X.

I think the hotfix is mainly for older Kepler card performance issues...but not sure...report back if the new drivers made any difference for you

From Software is kicking out an update for the PC version of Dark Souls 3 on Monday, April 18th...the patch will arrive at 11am CEST/2am PST and there will be no maintenance downtime

**the Greatsword is my weapon of choice so hopefully they won't nerf it too bad

Dark Souls 3 Update v1.03.1

-Performance adjustment for “Greatsword”
-Battle performance adjustment for “Dancer’s Enchanted Sword”, “Winged Knight Twinaxes”
-Performance adjustment for “Soul’s Greatsword”, and “Farron Flashsword”
-Fix for issue where multiple items become impossible to use at “Road of Sacrifices”, “Farron Keep”, “Cathedral of the Deep” after clearing the game.
-General balance adjustments and bug fixes

Update 1.03.1 - 4/18 at 2am PST/11am CEST :: DARK SOULS III General Discussions

the Pontiff Sulyvahn boss fight was gorgeous from a visual standpoint...what a stunning creation...his second phase was epic...surprisingly he only took me 4 tries...at first he seemed impossible but my Greatsword +5 strong attack is a beast...those Pontiff Knights in that level were so annoying...Irithyll of the Boreal Valley reminds me of Anor Londo from the original game...hopefully I'm not close to the end...I want this game to go on forever

If anyone is interested, Amazon UK is taking orders for the PC Collectors Edition.

Dark Souls III Collectors Edition (Xbox One): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

Came out to $152.47 USD. Not too bad. The PS4/XB1 American ones were about $110 after tax with Prime for me. Should come with a Steam key I would think, so should be able to sell that to make up most of the difference. And you get the master race edition :D.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I installed this driver today (was on newest official) things seems pretty buttery. The bonfires are weird though if the game doesn't outright crash with lighting detail on max I still get a pause or hitch when a bonfire comes into view from any direction. Hopefully the Monday patch fixes that. This is on my 780 vanilla @ 1100/3000 1080p all settings maxed I stay at 60.

I have around 34 strength and I think im probably around half way through the game. i have been using something i picked up in the first hour of the game until now, not sure what i should be using. Only really played bloodborne before.

I'm still using the uchi I got to +3 ... I'm still at dilapidated bridge and the boss helping people.

Anyone haev tips for 2-handingi (the Uchi especially) and parrying?

It just seems really really freaking hard to parry compared to ds1.

it's almost like you have to do the parry before they even start the animation sometimes.

Was playing Co-op with a friend and animations in the game are all messed up. He glides across the terrain, enemies death animations activate 2-5 seconds after the mob was killed, one of the first bosses had no swing animation so the phantom takes no damage. The host will see the swings but the phantom will take zero damage. The same thing happened when I was the host and my friend was the phantom. Anybody have this issue? I hope they fix this asap...

the first boss fight I did not like...
Yhorm the Giant...was totally un-Souls like...the Souls games are all about different builds and playstyles...forcing you to use that 1 particular weapon was corny...if they wanted to teach people how to use the trick weapons then it should have been part of an earlier tutorial

EDIT: someone just told me that the fight and weapon was a reference to Demon's Souls

Last edited:
Was playing Co-op with a friend and animations in the game are all messed up. He glides across the terrain, enemies death animations activate 2-5 seconds after the mob was killed, one of the first bosses had no swing animation so the phantom takes no damage. The host will see the swings but the phantom will take zero damage. The same thing happened when I was the host and my friend was the phantom. Anybody have this issue? I hope they fix this asap...
I have seen this a few times but with the same people. I think it is caused by server lag. It's damned annoying. And also somewhat ridiculous

boss observation...

Champion Gundyr seems impossible...as a STR player with a Greatsword +7 this guy is ridiculous...his second phase is crazy as it's difficult to get near him because he's so aggressive

maybe I am doing it wrong.. but this game refuses to take input from my kb... it want's to use my 360 controller but can't take any input from it. lol. I can't even get past the video properties screen because it won't let me press "a". whateva...

nvm: this fix worked to get my 360 controller working at least

The on screen button prompts use controller mapping, even if you are using a kb/m.

The menu's use Q (to go to the previous menu/back out) and e (to confirm selection).

the first boss fight I did not like...
Yhorm the Giant...was totally un-Souls like...the Souls games are all about different builds and playstyles...forcing you to use that 1 particular weapon was corny...if they wanted to teach people how to use the trick weapons then it should have been part of an earlier tutorial

EDIT: someone just told me that the fight and weapon was a reference to Demon's Souls

Just a question regarding the battle...
Were you supposed to use that weapon you picked up by his throne? I just used my broadsword I've been using since early in the game. It took f'ing forever and 3 or 4 attempts, even after I discovered how to stun him and do a visceral attack. Thought it was a pretty epic fight, although his attacks are fairly easy to avoid.

Just a question regarding the battle...
Were you supposed to use that weapon you picked up by his throne? I just used my broadsword I've been using since early in the game. It took f'ing forever and 3 or 4 attempts, even after I discovered how to stun him and do a visceral attack. Thought it was a pretty epic fight, although his attacks are fairly easy to avoid.

I think you're supposed to use that Storm Ruler sword because as you said any other weapon will take forever...with the Storm Ruler all it takes is 4 shots...I think it's meant to be a defacto tutorial on using those trick weapons...how long did it take you using your Broadsword?

I think you're supposed to use that Storm Ruler sword because as you said any other weapon will take forever...with the Storm Ruler all it takes is 4 shots...I think it's meant to be a defacto tutorial on using those trick weapons...how long did it take you using your Broadsword?
If I had to guess, probably around 15 minutes. Think a visceral attack did ~2k damage, and that only took like 1/20th of his health or something lol. And you have to hit his hand like 8 times or so to stun him. Just slashed away at his ankles and hand for days. Storm Ruler sounds a lot better :D.

Getting sick of these fuckin stutters when the game autosaves its not game breaking but its dam annoying and i'm on an SSD. I also get this weird screen tearing that starts at the bottom of the screen and slowly makes its way halfway up, its not like normal screen tearing i see with other games.

Picked up the Stragety Guide at work today something to do on my time off from the game. I guess it sucks based on reviews from Amaon but think it's great.

Getting sick of these fuckin stutters when the game autosaves its not game breaking but its dam annoying and i'm on an SSD. I also get this weird screen tearing that starts at the bottom of the screen and slowly makes its way halfway up, its not like normal screen tearing i see with other games.

That's weird, doesn't do that on PS4 and the PS4 hard drive is a POS.

That's weird, doesn't do that on PS4 and the PS4 hard drive is a POS.
Yeah, it doesn't happen on the PS4, but my machine (5960x, 2x Titans), constantly cause stuttering due to saving. And my save files are on a separate SSD than my game. Also, I just assumed the tearing was due to running a 144Hz machine, but the game running a 60 fps cap without making sure it syncs. Guess I was wrong if it's happening to others.

I don't see any stutters and I am running a r9 280x, so it is kind of an older system

Trying to decide if I want to try a pure caster this time since it initially looks possible to me by dumping everything into intelligence and attunement, with some points going to endurance since casting drains it, and maybe dexterity for casting speed. If that doesn't work out I'll go for a spellsword and try to find where the MLGS is this time around. I hope there is a Soul Vessel or something like it to reroll your character later on because I needed to pump up some strength since pure casting isn't too viable early on.

I'm also interested in doing some kind of dual wielding dexterity build, with support spells from either sorcery or pyromancy.
I want to follow up and say something on a pure casting build. I restarted this build after learning some things and pure caster actually looks promising. So far I have put a single point into Vigor and Endurance, and everything else into Attunement and Intelligence. I'm at 10 VGR, 10 END, 24 ATT and 24 INT right now with every other stat at base Sorcerer levels. I can easily go between bonfires so far on 2 Ashen Flasks up through the Undead Settlement. Heavy Soul Arrow actually turns out to be quite good and is my sorcery of choice at the moment. Vitality is still enough such that I am currently wearing the Northern Armor set so I have decent physical absorption for when I get hit. I have a Rapier +3 as a backup melee weapon. I also wanted to restart in offline mode because I found out that I was missing out on a lot of NPC storylines...

My Dex build is using an Uchigatana +9 right now. I'm still working up the balls to switch to the Sellsword Twinblades. But I'm really liking the weapon skills of the Uchi right now...
I think the hotfix is mainly for older Kepler card performance issues...but not sure...report back if the new drivers made any difference for you
The driver smoothed everything out for me. Now I only get the hiccups when an autosave happens after picking items up.
the Pontiff Sulyvahn boss fight was gorgeous from a visual standpoint...what a stunning creation...his second phase was epic...surprisingly he only took me 4 tries...at first he seemed impossible but my Greatsword +5 strong attack is a beast...those Pontiff Knights in that level were so annoying...Irithyll of the Boreal Valley reminds me of Anor Londo from the original game...hopefully I'm not close to the end...I want this game to go on forever
Funny you should say that... But no, you're not anywhere close to the end, yet.

But yes, the Pontiff Sulyvahn boss fight has been visually the most incredible so far. I'm up to the Dragon Barracks. I think that the Deacons of the Deep was the most interesting and original.
Anyone haev tips for 2-handingi (the Uchi especially) and parrying?

It just seems really really freaking hard to parry compared to ds1.

it's almost like you have to do the parry before they even start the animation sometimes.
In previous games you had to parry pretty much the second the attack is about to hit you. This time you have to catch their hand as it's coming down, so the window is a little earlier and more "realistic." I was able to see when you have to parry with one of the small shields in the tutorial area. If you use a Target or Small Leather Shield you can actually see when the shield makes contact with the incoming attack. Once you're used to that concept it should carry naturally over to enemies with faster attacks.

With the Uchi's parry it's actually back to the late timing. I think the Uchi's parry is a beast and very OP in PvP due to the wider timing window you get. But I've been using the Kite Shield with the Uchi on my Dex build so far, which you can use to 1-hand weapon skills to quickly switch between being in stance and blocking.

Yeah, it doesn't happen on the PS4, but my machine (5960x, 2x Titans), constantly cause stuttering due to saving. And my save files are on a separate SSD than my game. Also, I just assumed the tearing was due to running a 144Hz machine, but the game running a 60 fps cap without making sure it syncs. Guess I was wrong if it's happening to others.
Yea mine does the same thing with the save stutters and it is annoying. Also have game files on one SSD and saves are on a different SSD.

I just did deacons of the deep. first one I had to look up to see what I was doing wrong. Taking my time, really enjoying the game.

Yea mine does the same thing with the save stutters and it is annoying. Also have game files on one SSD and saves are on a different SSD.
I get the save stutters with the game and saves on the same SSD. I don't think it has to do with the game hitting the drive while saving. They probably have game saves happening in the same job thread as the rest of the game on PC, which is completely unnecessary as everyone on PC is going to have at least a dual core CPU.

I get the save stutters with the game and saves on the same SSD. I don't think it has to do with the game hitting the drive while saving. They probably have game saves happening in the same job thread as the rest of the game on PC, which is completely unnecessary as everyone on PC is going to have at least a dual core CPU.
Hopefully it's something they can address easily in a patch. Especially if it isn't present on consoles.

I finally decided to pick this up. I've got the first two, but haven't really touched them. Killed my first boss last night, and now I'm hooked. :D I guess I'll play the games in reverse order. Playing this in parallel with Hyper Light Drifter, and they actually complement each other quite well, and give just the right contrast when a break is needed. :D Took a few tries to kill that boss, and I imagine he's pretty easy for people who've played these games a lot. (wasn't too bad though, and got the pattern down after about five tries...) I can see a lot of fun coming up.

My biggest criticism so far (hardly a negative) is....there are TOO MANY FREAKING BOND FIRES.

There's only been one time in the 20 hours of my playthrough where I'm thinking "please god let me find a bondfire".

Compared to Dark Souls, it's too too frequent for me.

I finally decided to pick this up. I've got the first two, but haven't really touched them. Killed my first boss last night, and now I'm hooked. :D I guess I'll play the games in reverse order. Playing this in parallel with Hyper Light Drifter, and they actually complement each other quite well, and give just the right contrast when a break is needed. :D Took a few tries to kill that boss, and I imagine he's pretty easy for people who've played these games a lot. (wasn't too bad though, and got the pattern down after about five tries...) I can see a lot of fun coming up.
I've got quite a few hours logged in the first game and I still died about a dozen times to the tutorial boss. That being said, after rerolling my Sorcerer for a new game after 25 hours with my Dex build, he did go down first try with no issues. I honestly wasn't prepared for how aggressive enemies are this time around when I first started, but now I'm ready.
My biggest criticism so far (hardly a negative) is....there are TOO MANY FREAKING BOND FIRES.

There's only been one time in the 20 hours of my playthrough where I'm thinking "please god let me find a bondfire".

Compared to Dark Souls, it's too too frequent for me.
The bonfires do get fewer and farther between as you progress, though. I think as far as the difficulty curve and pacing goes, though, the number of bonfires feels right. The world is also quite a magnitude larger than the first game. Irithyll, to me, felt like all of Londor minus the detached areas (Anor Londo, Duke's Archive, Crystal Caves) combined.

Back