Danger of a cpu killing a machine?

ZMTToxics

Gawd
A while ago I had ordered some Opetron 885s to upgrade my Sun Java Workstation from its 252s. I did the upgrade, but I fear I nicked the motherboard (or daughter board) getting the heatsinks off (what a disaster those clamps were!) as the machine never booted again (with the 885s or 252s).

I have a Sun X4200 that I would like to put the 885s into. I have an x4100 (same motherboard) running 880s so I know the cpus are supported. But what are the chances (out side of my stabbing the motherboard) that the cpus are actually what fried the system? Anything is possible I suppose but normally if I run into the bad cpu upgrade where the system wont post, I just switch back and its fine (in the odd case a cmos reset might be required). Thoughts?

verry verrry slim.......especially since they do not push out power.....visually inspect the chips and make sure nothing looks wrong (to be sure)

I did the swap and all is well. 4x2.6ghz cores, 12GB of ram and lights out management. Mmmm mmm mmm. :)

I did the swap and all is well. 4x2.6ghz cores, 12GB of ram and lights out management. Mmmm mmm mmm. :)

Awesome!

I love the older Sun equipment. I had set aside $1000 to buy an older Sun box once and then, in a stroke of fate, needed about $1200 worth of repairs to my cars. I got home and logged onto eBay and saw a Sun v40z, 4x 885, 32GB RAM, 73gb drives, with rack rails, quad gigE and a dual port HBA... $350 and buy-it-now, $100 shipping.

My wife ran into the room because I yelled at my LCD.

The V40z is pretty old now though (but 4 885s sounds like a fun time). The generation after those have better lights out management with the iloms. If you want just a cheap x86 sun box, you can get a Java Workstation w2100z (dual cpus,8 ram slots, scsi AND sata drives) for around $150 bucks.

LOL if it's the same ILOM as I have in my X2100 M2s then I might have to pass

v20z/v40z power on:
$platform set power state on

The X2100s power on:
$set /SP/SystemInfo/CtrlInfo PowerCtrl=on

I seriously want to crotch-punch whoever came up with that. I print that crap out and tape it to the console.

Ah. the saving grace for the newer ilom is definitely the web interface. I have a first model 2100 that does everything over IPMI, how useless is that. I wrote my own scripts to manage ipmitool to make it somewhat useful.

Edit:
Also, even though its the same ilom, on the newer sparcs (think T series) you can set it to ALOM mode. Bizarre that is sparc only though...

Last edited:
Back