DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

In this thread whenever Dan has responded to criticism or what might be considered repetitive questions, he has done so respectfully and professionally. We would all do well to follow his example.

This case has taken a long time. Some of us are content to wait. Others aren't. They're entitled to their opinion. Personally I feel like something this good is worth the wait and I don't begrudge Dan's thoroughness. He's one guy undertaking a labor of love at great personal expense to him and I will be incredibly grateful if I have the opportunity to get one of these cases, considering what it took to get this done. But some people don't want to wait 3 years for a case, I think that's perfectly reasonable perspective.

On that note it indirectly benefits all of us if this case sells well... Because that means we're more likely to all get one if we want one. Which in turn means not being rude and scaring people off!

Don't get me wrong, I love his case design and work. That's why I've been waiting to get one myself. I've contacted him a few times on his email but received no reply. Maybe it went through or not, that's why I reg here so I can get myself heard.

Anyway, the problem he overlooks is the concept of "missed opportunities". Dan wants 1500 cases sold, yet he's waiting and waiting to launch the Kickstarter for who knows how long.

The thing is, there are "market" / potential customers out there who are on the fence on getting either this A4 case or NCase M1 and are leaning on getting A4. Myself included.

You can only hold people's interest for so long. If he wants that 1500 case sold he needs to consider people are 50-50 on getting his case, too not just the hardcore fans.

Remember, unless you're an enthusiast, usually a person can only afford 1 rig (aka. 1 case). Once he chooses something else, you lose "a lead". This is marketing 101.

With the release of GTX 1080, 1070 and soon Polaris, there should be a good time to capitalize on A4 release.

We waited for M1 as well. Both are enthusiast projects first and foremost; there are no easy alternatives on the market for either of them as both meet specific needs/wants. If one really can't wait for the case to come out, there's always the option of picking up a $15 case to run the system in the meantime. Or one can spend the time practicing shortening cables;)

As for GTX 1080/1070 - by the time A4 rolls out, we'll have a selection of benchmarked 3rd-party cards w/ blower coolers which should work better in this than Nvidia's rear exhaust one, ayway.

As for GTX 1080/1070 - by the time A4 rolls out, we'll have a selection of benchmarked 3rd-party cards w/ blower coolers which should work better in this than Nvidia's rear exhaust one, ayway.

As for blower coolers, I think that Nvidia's reference design is the best on the market. Please point to one that is better if this isn't true!

However, you're right that there should be designs that cool better in the A4 with typical axial fans.

I'm not going to sling insults - I'm only here to impart some logic. It must be understood that this forum is largely devoted to small batch, custom cases. These aren't the expedient endeavors of industrial manufacturers. There are no rooms of engineers and designers pouring over every subtlety of these, no rushed releases of sub par products. These are labors of love, often by singular individuals, created in their free time. They're as much works of art as they are technical showpieces, and unfortunately that means waiting - it's simply the reality of the matter. Art takes time.

From my understanding "modern art" was originally (is?) meant to describe art that challenged(s) the definition of art, so by making you think it's BS that people are calling it art, it's modern art.

Maybe.

hi guys. Actually i have a ncasem1 with a gtx 980ti and sfx600w. i want to switch to dan case when it is released but i want to ask you this:
i want to buy the new gtx 1080 and change PSU from Silverstone sfx600w to corsair sf450. Do you think it can be pilot well new gtx or not? I have a 4790k :) thanks

Claimed TDP of the new 1080 is like 180W at stock IIRC. Even if it's double that, you still have 90w for the CPU, storage, mobo and cooling with the 450.

i have a 1hdd that i will replace with 2 ssd 480gb. 1 fan 92mm 16gb ram i7 4790k plus a gtx 1080 stop. do you think that a 450w on this configuration is possible????? sf450 by corsair have 37.5A on 12V

i have a 1hdd that i will replace with 2 ssd 480gb. 1 fan 92mm 16gb ram i7 4790k plus a gtx 1080 stop. do you think that a 450w on this configuration is possible????? sf450 by corsair have 37.5A on 12V

yes. more than 450W is for multiple video cards (SLI/crossfire)

hi guys. Actually i have a ncasem1 with a gtx 980ti and sfx600w. i want to switch to dan case when it is released but i want to ask you this:
i want to buy the new gtx 1080 and change PSU from Silverstone sfx600w to corsair sf450. Do you think it can be pilot well new gtx or not? I have a 4790k :) thanks

Honestly, I think you're good - I've seen 980s running on 350 Watt PSUs just fine, and these 1080s are only ~ 30 Watt more demanding at their worst. Couple that knowledge with the fact that plenty of people run Titan Xs and 980ti models (with much higher wattage requirements) on 450 Watt PSUs and I think you'll be just fine.

its so f'n true though! modern art takes no talent and usually no time. some modern art is actually art as it took time and talent to make. but when you can splatter random paint on canvas or lean a bunch of fluorescent light tubes in the corner of a room or make a pile of literal garbage and call it art, that's BS. which I guess you could make a pile of and call it "country art".

edit now back on topic

Same, even tho i purchased the Ncase M1, i would like to watercool this little case man! :)

Using a small lenght card, either the AMD fury nano or GTX 970 mini and then placing a 120 radiator in the rest of the GPU compartment :)

Well thats a preference of taste, i love doing the impossible (e.g. watercooling in a none watercooling case) so i just need to be ready for purchasing this case!

Using a small lenght card, either the AMD fury nano or GTX 970 mini and then placing a 120 radiator in the rest of the GPU compartment :)
You'd need to use either a thin fan or thin radiator to make it work, possibly both and fitting the hoses would take some planning but it should be doable. I'm not sure what the point is, a good air cooled card will perform just as well, especially when sitting directly against a vent to intake cool air.

You'd need to use either a thin fan or thin radiator to make it work, possibly both and fitting the hoses would take some planning but it should be doable. I'm not sure what the point is, a good air cooled card will perform just as well, especially when sitting directly against a vent to intake cool air.

Well ye probably need the new EK 26mm radiator and a 15mm thin fan, i dont if the compartment is a bit bigger cause the spec from dan cases states its 45mm wide for a graphiccard, i cant imagine the graphic card is close up touching the side panel, there is prob a gap :)
Is not about what will perform best, is just about doing it :)

What I would do is use the fan in the power supply(you would be using SFX-L, right?) to mount and cool the radiator.
If you have room add another slim fan on the other side too.

True that could be an option aswell, but i dont think the system will draw that much power, the R9 is what 175W TDP, and pretty much every new PSU got silent mode profiles, but can be adjustet i think....
I will be using the corsair sf600w PSU. making routing for tubing easier than a SFX-L psu...

I really hope I get that email from the subscription on your site when your kickstarter goes live dondan lol. I want this thing so badly I've already saved for 2 of them!

What I would do is use the fan in the power supply(you would be using SFX-L, right?) to mount and cool the radiator.
If you have room add another slim fan on the other side too.
I have seen several people mentioning turning the PSU (assuming SFX-L in this case) around to use the PSU fan as a pull fan in a slim push/pull AIO setup. What I have not seen mentioned yet (maybe my oversight) is that obviously in order to achieve this you would need to cut out the plastic shield behind the PSU, although I guess many overclockers are quite happy to mod their cases. I dont know if I would be brave enough to attempt to damage such a piece of art though.

Back