DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Minimum Order Quantity is 500 pcs, so 230€*500=115000€ min. In one of the latest updates he said there are already like 7K people on the waiting list...

Minimum Order Quantity is 500 pcs, so 230€*500=115000€ min. In one of the latest updates he said there are already like 7K people on the waiting list...

dondan

If 1500 units is the limit and 7k people have registered interest in the case, what will happen to the other 5500 people who don't put their money up in time?

I have been following this case since December 2014 and i will be p#ssed if i miss out on it at this point. Due to the unique nature of the case i imagine once the kickstarter campaign goes live the 1500 units will sell out very quickly, leaving many disappointed people. What will be the fate of all these disappointed people? Will they have to wait another yr for a second run to get going?

Last edited:
The goal is 80000€.

The MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming fits very well. Computerbase.de used it in their Review of the A4-SFX.

I don't think that all 1500 will be sold.

I think you may be underestimating the interest in it.
Agreed!

"I don't think that all 1500 will be sold."

Why do u think this dondan? I know not all 7k people will actually fork out the money to buy one once it becomes available but i could certainly see more than 1500 willing to put up the cash. If the overall number is 1800 (for arguments sake) what option will the 300 who missed out on the kickstarter campaign have?

Agreed!

"I don't think that all 1500 will be sold."

Why do u think this dondan? I know not all 7k people will actually fork out the money to buy one once it becomes available but i could certainly see more than 1500 willing to put up the cash. If the overall number is 1800 (for arguments sake) what option will the 300 who missed out on the kickstarter campaign have?
Is the case limited to 1 per person?

what option will the 300 who missed out on the kickstarter campaign have?

Wait for the next round. First come first served I say!

The goal is 80000€.

The MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming fits very well. Computerbase.de used it in their Review of the A4-SFX.

I don't think that all 1500 will be sold.

And hopefully the new GTX 1080/1070 will work well too ;)

What are the options if all 1500 will be sold? Is there room at Lian Li for a second or extended run?
I'd hate to come to Kickstarter 3 days in and out of luck.

What are the options if all 1500 will be sold? Is there room at Lian Li for a second or extended run?
I'd hate to come to Kickstarter 3 days in and out of luck.

I think it's more like two week or even more. Perhaps Necere would know a good estimate from the first run of his Ncase.

Then again it filters out those who don't really want the case, even if I sound elitist. "I missed the campaign! It's not my fault that I forgot or fail to check the website every week. Too busy to log on for 30 seconds. You know what I'm saying?"

I think it's more like two week or even more. Perhaps Necere would know a good estimate from the first run of his Ncase.

Then again it filters out those who don't really want the case, even if I sound elitist. "I missed the campaign! It's not my fault that I forgot or fail to check the website every week. Too busy to log on for 30 seconds. You know what I'm saying?"
I'm more concerned about those 1500 units being sold a lot faster than expected. And even then, people willing to buy this case two weeks in are still buyers. What i'm asking is if that 1500 really is the limit.

I'm more concerned about those 1500 units being sold a lot faster than expected. And even then, people willing to buy this case two weeks in are still buyers. What i'm asking is if that 1500 really is the limit.
If you are one of die-hard fans of this case and really want it so bad, set the alarm/reminder to get to the kickstarter page at very first minutes. 1500 units are not that hard to get for people who need one. Just make a good plan and be ready on time. For people who are late to the party, well you don't try hard enough.

I think it has been brought up a few times in serveral forums as to whether the A4-SFX is even smaller than the Razer Core external GPU dock. Well now that the specs for the Razer Core are listed, we can confirm the A4-SFX is in fact smaller, even when factoring in the feet and rear protrusions
A4-SFX (including feet and rear protrusions): 205 x 112 x 327mm = approx. 7.51L
Razer Core (Razer Core External Graphics Dock): 104.9 x 339.9 x 218.4mm = approx. 7.79L

At 500USD for the Razer Core (which comes with a 500 watt psu) you could easily get a A4-SFX and a higher end SFX PSU (such as a Corsair SF600) for less. I am not sure whether it is worth mentioning in the Kickstarter campaign that this case, which houses an entire setup is even smaller than some external GPU docks that fit similar size GPUs, but it is definitely an interesting fact that can be brought up when discussing SFF and external GPU docks.

With a thunderbolt3 motherboard in the A4-SFX, can it be connected to a laptop like the Razer core?

With a thunderbolt3 motherboard in the A4-SFX, can it be connected to a laptop like the Razer core?
I guess that fully depends on the implementation of said motherboard. To my knowledge, there aren't any available with that feature.

If you are one of die-hard fans of this case and really want it so bad, set the alarm/reminder to get to the kickstarter page at very first minutes. 1500 units are not that hard to get for people who need one. Just make a good plan and be ready on time. For people who are late to the party, well you don't try hard enough.

I understand your point, and most die hard fans of this case will most likely be doing this, but life doesn't always run so smoothly. You can plan all you like before something but come the time to act, life could throw a huge obstacle in your path.

Its clear many of you responding think this campaign will be a slow runner with moderate backing but let's be optimistic for a minute and assume it defies all your expectations and is a raging success. What if dondan hits his max target in record time and 100's of additional people that want to buy the case are left empty handed? What options will these additional backers/customers have to get their hands on a case of their own?

Now obviously, if there are 1000+ additional people willing to put money down to get a case after the kickstarter campaign a second run is almost guaranteed. But what if the number of additional people is closer to only 200 (again for arguments sake). This is surely too small a number for lian li to consider doing a second run of the case. So what happens those 200 potential backers/customers? Can they be included in the first run?

Surely dondan hopes and wants to hit his target for the campaign and has a plan in place if and/or when he does. My question is, what is this plan as it hasn't been addressed or discussed yet?

Yes with the right parts and creativity you can make an egpu work with pretty much any system. Be it TB3 or via pcie extension.

The reason for the limit quantities is shipping in time. Shipment must be handable for me. If I sell more than 1000 cases in the campaign the case will be also available in future on my site or a reseller. If I sell less then 1000 I will focus on my next project.

Last edited:
Motherboards don't work that way. You'd pretty much have to make you're own pcb with a pcie x16 slot and the necessary thunderbolt and pcie chipsets. You'd also need a power supply. Unless you've messed around with circuit designs before it's not possible and when you add up the cost of an A4 case, power supply, and thunderbolt adapter board the Razer Core won't cost much more. It wouldn't be too much work if you know what you're doing but sourcing tb3 chipsets might be hard because it's pretty new.

I've been watching this case for months. I'm torn on choosing either Dan A4 SFX or NCase M1.

I like how compact and stylish A4 is. It's so rare to have a case so small, it's very special. But it takes forever for Dan to launch the Kickstarter.

NCase, on the other hand, is readily available on the market. I can buy it right now and have it shipped by the end of the month.

I'm getting sick of waiting for A4. If the Kickstarter doesn't start within this month, I'm going to get NCase M1 instead.

So I guess GTX 1080 will fit into the case?
Graphics Card Dimensions:
4.376"Height

10.5"Length

2-SlotWidth

That's going to be sweet.

I've been watching this case for months. I'm torn on choosing either Dan A4 SFX or NCase M1.

I like how compact and stylish A4 is. It's so rare to have a case so small, it's very special. But it takes forever for Dan to launch the Kickstarter.

NCase, on the other hand, is readily available on the market. I can buy it right now and have it shipped by the end of the month.

I'm getting sick of waiting for A4. If the Kickstarter doesn't start within this month, I'm going to get NCase M1 instead.

Boo hoo. Instead of being so entitled you should try being grateful that Dan is even willing to share his special case with the rest of us.

Have some patience, all good things take time. The Ncase indeed will ship faster and give you more cooler options not to mention serious overclocking will become viable. Though the Dan A4 looks sleeker and has a slightly smaller footprint. I cut up some cardboard boxes to make both and the A4 was noticeably shorter in height and width. If you can do without an optical drive and overclocking the A4 is absolutely worth the wait.

Lol, you're getting sick of waiting? "Sick?" Please by all means go buy the other case. You're not doing anyone a favor.

Man, some people act so irrational.

The reason for the limit quantities is shipping in time. Shipment must be handable for me. If I sell more than 1000 cases in the campaign the case will be also available in future on my site or a reseller. If I sell less then 1000 I will focus on my next project.

That is excellent news dondan. So essentially what you are saying is that everyone who wants to buy a case will get one eventually.

I am going to try my hardest to be in the first 1500 so i can get it sooner rather than later but it is good to know i will not be at a loss if i somehow don't make the first 1500.

I have been a laptop user all my life as desktops were always too bulky and a pain to transport. This case massively bridges the gap between ease of portability and raw power. I reckon the campaign will exceed your expectations as i am sure there are many more like me who will see this case as being the perfect compromise to the "mobile laptop vs raw power desktop" debate.

Your work is much appreciated.

And? U are waiting for months, but some other people in this forum are waiting for more than a year.

By the way, if he launchs the kickstarter this month, still u need to wait 3 months to get the case in your hands.

So if u need a case right now.. For this one u still need to wait August-September.

did you reg just for this, to bitch? you either wait or don't but you don't get to bitch about it. this is Dan's labour of love that he chose to share. if you cannot wait or its not 100% what you want, make one yourself ffs.

Don't get me wrong, I love his case design and work. That's why I've been waiting to get one myself. I've contacted him a few times on his email but received no reply. Maybe it went through or not, that's why I reg here so I can get myself heard.

Anyway, the problem he overlooks is the concept of "missed opportunities". Dan wants 1500 cases sold, yet he's waiting and waiting to launch the Kickstarter for who knows how long.

The thing is, there are "market" / potential customers out there who are on the fence on getting either this A4 case or NCase M1 and are leaning on getting A4. Myself included.

He needs to strike while the iron is still hot. He's making the same mistake as OnePlus phone campaign, using the reservation system and takes forever to get one. So instead of getting OnePlus, lots of people decided to quit waiting and get different phones instead.

You can only hold people's interest for so long. If he wants that 1500 case sold he needs to consider people are 50-50 on getting his case, too not just the hardcore fans.

Remember, unless you're an enthusiast, usually a person can only afford 1 rig (aka. 1 case). Once he chooses something else, you lose "a lead". This is marketing 101.

With the release of GTX 1080, 1070 and soon Polaris, there should be a good time to capitalize on A4 release.

Don't get me wrong, I love his case design and work. That's why I've been waiting to get one myself. I've contacted him a few times on his email but received no reply. Maybe it went through or not, that's why I reg here so I can get myself heard.

Anyway, the problem he overlooks is the concept of "missed opportunities". Dan wants 1500 cases sold, yet he's waiting and waiting to launch the Kickstarter for who knows how long.

The thing is, there are "market" / potential customers out there who are on the fence on getting either this A4 case or NCase M1 and are leaning on getting A4. Myself included.

He needs to strike while the iron is still hot. He's making the same mistake as OnePlus phone campaign, using the reservation system and takes forever to get one. So instead of getting OnePlus, lots of people decided to quit waiting and get different phones instead.

You can only hold people's interest for so long. If he wants that 1500 case sold he needs to consider people are 50-50 on getting his case, too not just the hardcore fans.

Remember, unless you're an enthusiast, usually a person can only afford 1 rig (aka. 1 case). Once he chooses something else, you lose "a lead". This is marketing 101.

With the release of GTX 1080, 1070 and soon Polaris, there should be a good time to capitalize on A4 release.

God you sound retardet.. Buy a Ncase then!

God you sound retardet.. Buy a Ncase then!
Please don't insult him because from consumer point of view he has a valid point and has right to keep his 50/50 decision. I'm in a similar (kinda) situation. When I started to follow the project things were straight - I want one. But now a year later I became a father and lost an opportunity to use my desktop PC that often so the idea of investing in my PC rig doesn't sound that reasonable as it was before. It's not Dan's fault by any mean - I'm saying that from consumer point of view this long run project has some disadvantages.
I still follow the project and wait patiently till the kickstarter campaign and probably try to buy one (otherwise I have to buy a laptop and I hate this things) but please don't call ppl retarded for their decision to get one or not. We are all consumers after all and no matter how we or I personally sympathize Dan's passion work it's a business.

the two projects, M1 and A4 were started more than a year apart. so yeah you are still waiting on the A4 because he started over a year later. either stop bitching and wait or get another case fss. not to mention how different they are you cant really compare the two...

It also takes long because Dan is based here in Germany. In the EU there are a lot more laws you have to check to sell the case legally than in the US. However, we'll hopefully see crowdfunding in this month :)

Reactions: al007
like this
"It's a business."

That still doesn't give anyone license to complain about how quickly or slowly Dan is working. I'm guessing that at this point that it's not going to change Dan's timetable.

If you can afford to wait, fine. If not, also fine - just smile and move on with your Plan B.

Jesus H Christ, dude, you sound like a whiny bitch…

"BUT I WANT IT NOW…!!!" Sounds of tiny fists and tiny heels pounding on floor as prepubescent child throws temper tantrum…

Seriously, The A4 will be available when it is available, no sooner…

You go ahead and design a chassis, make sure it meets legal requirements in not just one country, but on two continents…

You start a business dealing with several top tier manufacturers, to whom you are the smallest of fries…

Do you HONESTLY think Dan is just sitting back, laughing as he reads postings about folks wanting & waiting for his chassis, sipping on a stein of beer…?

I am pretty damned sure Dan is trying to get EVERYTHING in order before he takes his Kickstarter live, so there are NO issues to pop up and make a mess of things…

You are free to buy whatever chassis you want, but do not come in here with your Post #1 Noobie status and start DEMANDING that the Kickstarter go live within the month; do you REALLY think that is gonna make Dan bolt up from his seat & put a rush on things…?!?

It is called patience, try it out…

So I guess GTX 1080 will fit into the case?
Graphics Card Dimensions:
4.376"Height

10.5"Length

2-SlotWidth

That's going to be sweet.

Why are you even asking this…? There is a link to the Dan-case website on the first page of this thread, within that website is a VERY clear listing of the GPU dimensions that work with this chassis…

Another Post #1 Noobie who cannot be bothered to actually do the smallest bit of research before asking questions that have been answered numerous times already…

Do you HONESTLY think Dan is just sitting back, laughing as he reads postings about folks wanting & waiting for his chassis, sipping on a stein of beer…?

I hope that from time to time he gets/takes the chance to do exactly that.

So many experts.....so few posts by those experts. Lmao. Thank you 1 post noobies for your unbelievable contribution to this thread. Dan should just listen to you guys
and everything should be complete in 1 week. Smfh

(...)

Do you think anyone really cares? Buy whatever you want and be happy with it. If you read the thread you should know why does it take this time...

Last edited:
Back