DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Lmao @ "I'm not here to argue with anyone, you are making a mountain out a grain of sand."

I believe its "Mountain out of a molehill"....."You're Welcome"

Quick question, does anyone know if this case is purchasable during May 2016 Kickstarter? Dont wanna wait until August 2016. Or anyone know the exact day for pre-orders?

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited:
Any one have the date for pre-orders? I cant seem to find the thread discussing this. Im seeing May 2016 on kickstarter, is this right?

Any one have the date for pre-orders? I cant seem to find the thread discussing this. Im seeing May 2016 on kickstarter, is this right?

Go to the DAN A4 website, and sign up for alerts, so you get notified when it is available for purchase. But yes, in a week or two it should be about time for the Kickstarter.

So many people eager to argue. So few eager to help in all honesty. I don't ask you to like me, but if you really care for the author of the post be nice to newcomers that are interested to buy the product, specially if you are not going to, but either way. If you are not interested on helping just step aside and give way to others. This is my last comment to this thread because I see there is nothing productive here, apart from the authors response that was actually helpful.

A lot of stupid comments came to me, but nobody addressing the facts I posted here about airflow #4339.
Help with what exactly? Your first post was complaining about information that has already been discussed before, but you demand answers. Then you assumed that there weren't any airflow engineering involved with the development of this case and demand Dan to prove you wrong. Then you demand that fans be immediately be added to the case. And you have a snarky comment on if Dan really expects us to buy this case? (Which you say you are, so why the comment?) Lastly, you threaten Dan that if these changes aren't met other companies will swoop in and do it better.

You claim you just wanted to leave feedback but it was executed poorly IMO. You expect people to answer you "in a nice way". Of course we care for the author this is why your " air flow question" was met with negative responses. Am I missing something here?

Kickstarter will start in May. In this time you can buy the case. Delivery is some month later.

The price is ridiculous high for the amount of material required to build the case.
I have been a customer in many other small runs of machined aluminium parts in a couple of other hobbies/communities and I have heard the same complaint many times from n00bs to those hobbies as well. :)

Small runs of parts always cost more -- simply because those runs don't have the economy of scale.
And if you would try to get the parts for one case made for yourself by skilled workmen at a local machine shop then you would probably have to pay several times more.

This will be the smallest manufactured case in the world able to take a full-size GPU. That is worth something to some people, and that does not come without tradeoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolling my eyes.

The Dan-A4 has been through much iteration and study before arriving at the point it's at today. dondan has been pretty open about the process, goals, and limitations he has to work with and frankly I think it's a bit idiotic to act like he hasn't thought this through, considering all the testing that's been sprinkled round this thread.

Would I, the mighty ElAntonius with my impressive resume of community designed cases, make a different set of trade offs? Maybe. Hell, you don't like what dondan is up to? Grab some tools and some sheet steel and make yourself a case. Borrow time on a laser cutter.

--

dondan, congrats on the founding. I'm waiting with baited breath and my finger over the buy button on Kickstarter :p.

A lot of stupid comments came to me
Your first post in this thread (or, really, all of them) came across quite rude and ignorant. And what you shout into the forest will echo back.

Maybe you don't perceive yourself as rude and ignorant. And English clearly isn't your mother tongue. But that's the impression we got.

Always remember that on the internet you're just your words. We don't see all that charming non-verbal communication you may have going for you, we don't know what a nice chap you may be in real life.

There is nothing like DAN A4 available. So he can charge $1000 if he wants to.

A common cause of criticism is people not understanding how small and unique the case is. It is hard to understand because there has never been anything like it.

This is my last comment to this thread
at least he stuck to that.

I tried stating what you guys just did and he got my post deleted. it might have been the fact that I copy/pasted a nasty PM he sent me. idk...
I hope he got the point we were trying to make.
sweet case btw! hope I can get my hands on one later this year.

I've read through the thread and understand that you won't provide more than 1 usb port on the front due to aesthetics.

Is this something that you would likely (or possibly) change in future revisions? At the moment it's the only reason I'm considering an NCase over your system.

To the critics, I know it's a small case & most of you are happy to reach around and use the ports in the back. That won't be possible for me with the computer desk I'm making.

I've read through the thread and understand that you won't provide more than 1 usb port on the front due to aesthetics.

Is this something that you would likely (or possibly) change in future revisions?

I will save him the trouble: NO. :) But the good news is that USB cables are cheap, so you can run a female plug from the back to wherever you like! Prices start at seventy-eight cents: hot sale 2ft USB 2.0 MALE TO FEMALE EXTENSION CABLE

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I will save him the trouble: NO. :) But the good news is that USB cables are cheap, so you can run a female plug from the back to wherever you like! Prices start at seventy-eight cents: hot sale 2ft USB 2.0 MALE TO FEMALE EXTENSION CABLE

Thanks, I've considered setups involving building 3* USB hubs (One per pc) into my desk, they just won't look as tidy. The point of the question was to find out if it's worth waiting for a future revision of the case.

Honestly, I really want a decent mechanical keyboard with built in, powered usb 3.1 hub. When someone finally makes one, most of my issues will be solved.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I've considered setups involving building 3* USB hubs (One per pc) into my desk, they just won't look as tidy. The point of the question was to find out if it's worth waiting for a future revision of the case.

Honestly, I really want a decent mechanical keyboard with built in, powered usb 3.1 hub. When someone finally makes one, most of my issues will be solved.
It is totally a different thing but HHKB has usb hub built in.

HI, dondan! I'm very interesting in the A4-SFX, but one question: the Max Size of SFX-L PSU?
I.E. High Power SFL-L400GD 12.5(W) x 13(L) x 6.3(H) cm not in the recommendation lists, looks like a litte bigger than Corsair SF600.
is it also available with A4-SFX?

Last edited:
Hi dondan, what do you think is the maximum height in mm below an SFX PSU (taking into account modular cables) that can be used to stack hard disks? I'm thinking of stacking 15mm height 4TB disks below the SFX PSU, without using the supplied bracket.

Checking this thread is the first thing I do when I get to work, and I've been doing that since last November ha. I am committed to the cause.

Hi dondan, what do you think is the maximum height in mm below an SFX PSU (taking into account modular cables) that can be used to stack hard disks? I'm thinking of stacking 15mm height 4TB disks below the SFX PSU, without using the supplied bracket.
I think it would also depends on whether the connectors for the modular cables are recessed or not, ie. Corsair's connectors are more recessed than Silverstone, giving a few extra mm of space.

The waiting time will be end in the next three weeks :)
So the kickstarter campaign will be launched in 3 weeks?

Maybe earlier. I will add a coundown to my landingpage when the last 7 days starts ;)

Under a normal SFX PSU there is 74,5mm free space. I think the modular connectors and the wire will take 25-35mm space. So you have 49,5-39,5 mm free space. Maybe you can stack three drives.

Last edited:
I think it would also depends on whether the connectors for the modular cables are recessed or not, ie. Corsair's connectors are more recessed than Silverstone, giving a few extra mm of space.

Looks like I'll have to use the Corsair PSU then.

Under a normal SFX PSU there is 74,5mm free space. I think the modular connectors and the wire will take 25-35mm space. So you have 49,5-39,5 mm free space. Maybe you can stack three drives.

Thanks for checking, I guess two (8TB) is enough for me.

From the site:

Hard Disk Drives
Note: With SFX-L you are limited to one drive in the drive bay

• 2x 2,5" HDD/SSD in drive bay
    • Bottom drive: max. height 15mm
    • Top drive: max. height 15mm
  • 1 x 2.5" HDD/SSD in front-area
    • Max. height 9mm

It was already answered by Dan some pages back.

On TV shows they turn the cans around backwards, or put a piece of tape over the logo :) In any case, the brand of can doesn't matter! Anything that provides a sense of scale will work. A mouse, a keyboard, an apple, etc.

On TV shows they turn the cans around backwards, or put a piece of tape over the logo :) In any case, the brand of can doesn't matter! Anything that provides a sense of scale will work. A mouse, a keyboard, an apple, etc.
Or a ream of A4 paper, since both have 'A4'. :)

Ehh.. Quick question!

What about the mobos with a m.2 slot on the back, will the m.2 card touch the riser?

If it does, will the heat of m.2 drive damage the riser? they go up to 55 C and more...

I did a seach, but i couldn't find any answer on this thread...

Ehh.. Quick question!

What about the mobos with a m.2 slot on the back, will the m.2 card touch the riser?

If it does, will the heat of m.2 drive damage the riser? they go up to 55 C and more...

That's a good and important question because many of us will be trying a backside m2 ssd for the first time! Dan has posted about this before, and I think it should be mentioned in the kickstarter.

Ehh.. Quick question!

Here are some facts:
1) There is a thin, transparent electrically non-conductive film sheet between the mobo and GPU areas.
2) The riser can go on either side of the film.
3) The riser data is here: Product Catalog: 3M™ Twin Axial PCI Express X16 Extender Assemblies
4) Dan used a "top-mounted" M.2 drive on his X99 testbed. https://dan-cases.com/img/faq/x99_1.jpg
5) Minimum standoff height for a motherboard tray is 6.35mm per the ATX specification.
6) The Samsung 950 Pro has a rated operating range of 0C to 70C.
7) There may be room on the bottom vent to install a fan to cool the area between the mobo and the GPU area.

That's a good and important question because many of us will be trying a backside m2 ssd for the first time! Dan has posted about this before, and I think it should be mentioned in the kickstarter.

I took a look at the 3M website for the riser cable, and they have datasheets about the riser and the cabling that it uses. Despite the metallic appearance of the cable, they are not conductive. It's a translucent polyester film on top of an aluminum sheathing. The melting point for polyester is somewhere around 250°C, so things should be just fine as long as the film doesn't get scratched.

edit: looks like jtd871 beat me to it :p

Back