DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

They are not really different panels, one just has an extra stage of production.
Which means at least two different runs, one with an extra tooling stage. That means double the MOQ (minimum order per run), double the set-up cost (need to validate that extra step doesn't mess up the following steps by affecting sheet strength or further workholding setups do not impinge on the new hole, etc), double the QC (need to add an extra variable QC step), need to track two different SKUs (tripped up NCase where some people received the wrong case colour because Taiwan Post mixed up the two batches), etc.

It's a massive production headache.

Which means at least two different runs, one with an extra tooling stage. That means double the MOQ (minimum order per run), double the set-up cost (need to validate that extra step doesn't mess up the following steps by affecting sheet strength or further workholding setups do not impinge on the new hole, etc), double the QC (need to add an extra variable QC step), need to track two different SKUs (tripped up NCase where some people received the wrong case colour because Taiwan Post mixed up the two batches), etc.

It's a massive production headache.
Most of the complications come from adding i/o ports in general, not of making them optional.

I too think it's a reasonable option. The M1 came with two different top covers.

To me it is. The whole case is design is simply raped. That is the word that describes the feeling when I saw the pictures with USB ports on front panel for first time.

Word "ruined" just doesn't cover it.
The cases is not raped by front ports. The front ports aren't maliciously attacking it, violating it physically and mentally and leave it with a trauma that'll last for years.

The word "ruined" would cover it plenty, though it's already hyperbole.

Doubling down on your adolescent use of a shock term to amplify your opinion only reveals your ... adolescence.

Is 280mm vs. 290mm clearance excluding a large number of cards? If so, even though I would prefer front ports I would say go for whatever gives you more internal space.

You can add USB ports yourself. You can't add more GPU length....

And if that option is cheaper then even better.

why only 1 USB on the front? the other USB pins on the motherboard will be wasted. it should follow the standard: either two USB on the front, or zero. and IMO the power and USB should be spaced further apart, because there will likely be usability errors if so close.

and there's no reason for front audio ports.

I like the clean front the most. Might as well have a nice, simplified clean front with just the power button. The case is so small that access to usb ports (plenty in motherboards these days) and audio ports should be easy since most will probably put this case on their desk.

The cases is not raped by front ports. The front ports aren't maliciously attacking it, violating it physically and mentally and leave it with a trauma that'll last for years.

The word "ruined" would cover it plenty, though it's already hyperbole.

Doubling down on your adolescent use of a shock term to amplify your opinion only reveals your ... adolescence.

The case is not raped by the front ports but by the tooling which forcefully penetrates it's beautiful and mint aluminium front panel, while taking away it's looks and smoothness.

Since the 14th century, the term has come to mean "to seize and take away by force".

Since the 14th century, the term has come to mean "to seize and take away by force".
That would be 'Pillage'.

Front USB ports are useful, front audio less so. Even one front USB port is useful for the occasional thumb drive, random device that suddenly needs charging or data transfer, or occasional-use peripheral. Carting around a USB hub for easy access just begins down the road of cable-sprawl.

why only 1 USB on the front? the other USB pins on the motherboard will be wasted. it should follow the standard: either two USB on the front, or zero.

I see a lot of space on the back, so if you really were concerned about wasted ports, you could just cut a few holes there and route the F_USB headers to that location. I wouldn't support that as a feature, but it wouldn't be a particularly hard mod either.

I've messed around with the renders in GIMP a little... Front really looks best w/o any ports ;) However, I don't think there are any arguments against sidepanel ports. Practical and doesn't hurt the look. If USB Ports are really hurting your sense of aesthetic, just put the case on right side of the desk. The cost isn't a factor either, paying maybe $10 more isn't a problem on a $200+ case. Sure, I can see now that only one USB on front looks a bit... lonely. And "rapes" the design :D But on the side it's really not that much of an eyesore... Really praying enought people voted on Nr. 3 :cool: However there'll always be some, who disagree with what we'll go for (like me in case no front usb at all :p ) Definitly buying it for the size tho, no matter what this poll will bring. But i'd be really happy if #3 was chosen :) Here the gimp render of a clean front ;)

image.jpg

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread with a lot of anticipation for more than a year now. I've been running an NCASE M1 but I'd like to simplify further and I think the design on this is perfect.

I've gone back through the thread and can't find an answer to my only question:

Will this case accommodate the stupid oversized cooling solutions that ASUS likes to use on their high end GPUs?

For example the gtx 980 strix or the R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5. I always see them as open box items at micro center (probably because of the stupidly tall cooler) and they're pretty good deals that way but they don't fit in the M1.

I don't guarantee it but 980 strix should fit. It should not be a problem with very tall GPUs because the card is centered, so plent space to the top. Also it has to be shorter than 290mm (strix has 285) and most important it must'n be any wider than normal Dualslot. So the Strix will fit because it's not wider than reference but e.g. a Palit JetStream wouldn't.
TLDR: Every card should fit thats shorter than ~295mm and not wider than dualslot, heigt is (virtually) not a problem :)

Edit: Same for R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5, should fit too... good job Dondan! A piece of more compatibility than the M1 :D :D

awesome... I couldn't tell how much space there was below the riser.

Now to find a way to shoehorn in an atx psu and do something silly like install an r9-295x2... (kidding)

And for the record I like no ports on the front but think ports on the side would be a fine compromise so long as they don't infringe upon the gpu length.

awesome... I couldn't tell how much space there was below the riser.

Now to find a way to shoehorn in an atx psu and do something silly like install an r9-295x2... (kidding)

And for the record I like no ports on the front but think ports on the side would be a fine compromise so long as they don't infringe upon the gpu length.

you could use a 600w sfx to power the 295x2 and a pico psu for the other components.

you,ll need to run to use two power plugs and a psu connector

you could use a 600w sfx to power the 295x2 and a pico psu for the other components.

you,ll need to run to use two power plugs and a psu connector

Lest anybody get any bright ideas - the r9-295x2 is >290mm in length and even if you could power it, it wouldn't fit in this case.

I've never used a PCIe extender. Is there any cons to them? Any power issues? I could imagine some latency would be added but i'm wondering how much and what other "cons" are also there.

Also, is there a reason why the power cable not connect on the top right above the GPU? The same location where the old power button would of been. It seems like it would require a shorter power cable to connect to the PSU.

Last edited:
There are virtually no power or performance issues with using a PCIe extender. The latency will be the the speed of light over a few inches... I'll let you do the math :)

Also, is there a reason why the power cable not connect on the top right above the GPU? The same location where the old power button would of been. It seems like it would require a shorter power cable to connect to the PSU.

I think it looks way better there. The power cable sticking out all the way on top in such a small and narrow case would be very noticeable. I think it's a really nice touch and well thought out (if it was actually planned;))

Last edited:
Nope. I like the aesthetics of the case which were in the pictures, now the front panel will be violated because some CS:GO kids cant put up a cable extension to their headsets.

very adult comment.

TY very much, i (and no doubt many others) use frontal usb all the time with my ncase - no way i would want to reach behind the case nor i want usb hub + more cables on the the desk.

And yes, i already have couple usb ports on keyboard.

Id have two usb ports on front if it was possible. Just mod the case by covering those "infernal" slots by something you like, CS:GO stickers maybe? :|

Maybe it's best to left these usb ports out. USB C is coming and after that these normal ports are useless.

the old usb will still stick around for years though.. anyways, i doubt many are going to throw away they perfectly functioning mouses, keyboards, webcams, memorysticks etc just because new type usb happens to come by.

Yeah it would be very premature to put Type C inputs on a PC case. It may not even be a matter of years - it might never catch on as the standard for PC cases. Phones and other devices that do use Type C may just come with Type A to Type C adapters to for charging, similar to how it is for devices that use Mini/MicroUSB.

It would be like if someone first heard about Mini-USB and wanted to only put those connectors on their case in the interest of making the case future-proof - it would completely have backfired!

I think it looks way better there. The power cable sticking out all the way on top in such a small and narrow case would be very noticeable. I think it's a really nice touch and well thought out (if it was actually planned;))
Maybe it's just my only pet-peeve about this case. It basically the longest possible option since it goes from one corner of the case to the complete opposite.

Maybe it's just my only pet-peeve about this case. It basically the longest possible option since it goes from one corner of the case to the complete opposite.

You should also think of tall-PCB cards; some would not fit with the power cable on top.
Plus, it seems you forget how small this case actually is. It's corner to corner, but the distance is so small!
Further, bottom placement is much better against accidental tripping of the power cable. If you place it on top, there is the risk of the case falling on its side (basic physics involving forces and moments)...

You should also think of tall-PCB cards; some would not fit with the power cable on top.
Plus, it seems you forget how small this case actually is. It's corner to corner, but the distance is so small!
Further, bottom placement is much better against accidental tripping of the power cable. If you place it on top, there is the risk of the case falling on its side (basic physics involving forces and moments)...
I can understand the tall PCB being the biggest reason and the main reason it won't bother me too much. The others i'm not too sure. Just for myself and i'm assuming many others will keep the PC in an area where tripping isn't an issue and the extra weight on top is minimal.

Just looking at the pictures tho, I have a feeling the cable will look ugly wrapping around unless we use zipties or something. Might be possible to ziptie it close to the power button.

very adult comment.

TY very much, i (and no doubt many others) use frontal usb all the time with my ncase - no way i would want to reach behind the case nor i want usb hub + more cables on the the desk.

And yes, i already have couple usb ports on keyboard.

Id have two usb ports on front if it was possible. Just mod the case by covering those "infernal" slots by something you like, CS:GO stickers maybe? :|

Well said, I use both USB ports on my M1 and I connect my headphones through the front port.

I could live without any front panel connectors, but I'll probably need a USB hub.

Well said, I use both USB ports on my M1 and I connect my headphones through the front port.

I could live without any front panel connectors, but I'll probably need a USB hub.

I got one of these bad boys.
Very good stuff! :)
Currently I have my rig ~2 meters away from me, have a long dvi cable and a usb 3 extension connected to the hub with my mouse, keyboard, usb soundcard and ds3 controller.
I don't feel any latency.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey dondan, when is the poll officially closed? If it has been closed, any updates on the results or what you have decided front panel aesthetics wise? Once again, can't wait to see the prototype pictures! :)

At the end of this week I will offer the results of the poll. Furthermore I will offer something great. I worked the last week very hard on the A4-SFX case, because it goes tomorrow to the Lian Li engineering team and I make some really good changes, so I can say now this case is final and it is much more better than before :).
Actually I have no rendered pictures so you have to wait...

Awesome design. Too bad it is missing an optical drive.

This is a super-minimalist case, so even if one fit, a slim ODD slot would feel out of place. You can always use an external - it's cheaper than a slim ODD too :D

Supporting legacy media kind of goes against the minimalist design of the case - just look at the number of people who were offended for even including USB inputs!

Personally for the one time a year I need to read a CD/DVD, I'll dig my $20 external drive out of storage.

Back