DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

I just voted for the original A4, thinking of placing an uncased Enhance FlexATX 450W unit where the DC-DC converter board is intended to be with 92mm fans cooling the PSU and modding the back panel of the case for AC power cable extension.

The latest suggestion above by dondan would sound nice at first, but i am afraid that, even if dondan asks those PSU makers to make a custom 1U psu with a better fan profile than the hadron version, the resulting fan would still end up being at least as loud as the 600W Enhance/Silverstone SFX (and probably louder) and I don't know how much more expensive those PSU would turn out to be when custom ordered in just small bulk quantity. ...Unless Seasonic somehow decides to make a 1U PSU that is not just a recycled version of their existing 80+ Gold 1U PSUs but rather an adaptation of their 80+ Platinum fanless ATX PSU into a 1U form factor. In that case I would be ecstatic and jump onto this option.

Last edited:
I agree with the poster above. Overall I'm not a fan of 1u Psu as they will be noisy due to the small fan especially during heavier loads while gaming. As I mentioned on the previous page, stick to the original design and give the ability to set the b3 steam case upright.

I am also a fan of silent systems. So i would only go with this solution if the noiselevel is bearable while gaming. And of course i would check the noiselevel of a test-sample. By the away the 1U of seasonic is completely silent if the power consumption is under 200W. This means no fan is working in the psu while watching a movie or working on it.

Here is a test of the default seasonic http://www.easycom.com.ua/power/seasonic_ss-500l1u_active_pfc/?lang=ukr google can translate the text.

Interesting is this area:
easycom.com.au said:
To assess the power of 250 W power supply Seasonic SS-500L1U Active PFC operates quietly (fan does not rotate), within 250 W - 350 W - is very quiet. When the load increases to 450 W, the noise level rises to mid-level and high-frequency background appears. Further increase in load up to a value of 500 W leads to an increase in the noise level, it will become visible to the general background (by ear can be described as "above average").

Last edited:
Here is an english johnnyguru (highly respected psu reviewer) review.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=276

EDIT: So I read the review through and the efficiency of the unit is pretty good. The modular cable system is a bit strange, but works. But if this is going to be in the A4 the fan is going to need to be improved a lot. Although the semi fanless mode works, when it kicks in it sounds like a 'dremel'.

But the fact that it is internal and has a high wattage will attract more people.

Last edited:
Tomorrow i try to flip also the gpu for the default version. But like in the SFX you are still limited to dualslot size 38-40 mm thickness.

iam actually in contact with sparklepower and seasonic to construct a custom 1U psu with a better fan profile than the hadron version, a black color and modular cable management
What do you think?

sounds awesome, but it all depends an the fan. Perhaps they could offer a version without fan, and everyone can choose the model he/she wants. (eg. performance vs silence). According to this test the SS-300TGW is actually a 1U psu. Drop the extra width by adopting a custom fan solution, and give us some 6pin pcie connector seasonic - that'd do it for me.

Dondan, for the original A4 version, have you tried mounting the psu powerboard vertically instead of horizontally? I wonder if that will allow moving the fans closer and mounting the hdds between them, horizontally. I can't tell if that's possible from the pictures and i don't know the length of the psu powerboard.

Hello guys,

iam actually in contact with sparklepower and seasonic to construct a custom 1U psu with a better fan profile than the hadron version, a black color and modular cable management. I could construct a case with the dimensions of 102mm x 223mm x 285mm (6,5L). The gpu ist flipped and it can take 2x 2,5" HDD/SSD. Same room for the cpu cooler like in the default version. The psu would be included. I think this could become the optimum version, because it is small and the complete psu is inside. Its appear not big like the SFX version, because it is much more thinner.

What do you think?

I think this AND your original idea are good. I hope you can navigate these trades to find the right case for your original vision. I believe the end result for everyone will be best when YOU'RE happy first, and then the endless hordes of forum-goers second.

My opinion of small fans is: they're bad. I approach small case design with the premise that it is all just a battle to fit a large fan into a small space.

@DG25: This will work ;) you can flip the bracket for the dc board around 90°C . But i will not make a mountingsolution for the hdds. I think 2x2,5mm should be enough.

By the way only 2,5 days left ;)
Vote for your favorite version >> Link: A4 vs. A4-SFX the inquiry

The evaluation will be like two best out of three:

1. all votes
2. all votes with a username (validade by me)
3. all votes with a username (validade by me) and the plan to buy this case

The number of participants is actually: 185

New infos GTX 980 will have a tpd of 165W. Very easy to handle for the dc-version :D

Last edited:
Wow there are 185 voters? You must have done good work on those other forums :D

@DG25: This will work ;) you can flip the bracket for the dc board around 90°C . But i will not make a mounting solution for the hdds. I think 2x2,5mm should be enough.
Space for additional hdds was not my reason for this change, instead i was thinking you could slim the case a bit more this way, by moving the fans a bit closer to each other and placing the hdds between them (with the dc board behind the front panel, flipped 90°). This way, the 199mm side can become much shorter, maybe 180mm? The 2 hdds could be mounted directly on the removable left side panel (the one that covers the mobo area), with little additional mounting hardware needed. If anything, you could save some metal hardware needed for the mounting (since the dc board is mounted on the front panel), saving costs.

Last edited:
This will also not work because i need the more room at the back on the i/o shild to mount the dc-jack-expander :). The second bad point is, that the dc-board is not directly in the fan tunnel because reducing the room will end in the situation, that the fans aren't over and under the dc-board and only next to it.
And you couldn't use the hdplex plug area because the fan is before it.

dondan, how long do you estimate until production actually begins so people can purchase?

I really like the case, I can see that you've put alot of hard work into this, my only improvement would be a power button on the front. I look forward to seeing your kickstarter!

Last edited:
dondan, how long do you estimate until production actually begins so people can purchase?

As far as I know, an estimate is more or less impossible in the current state. Lian Li have to be convinced to actually manufacture it first (though maybe this has already been accomplished?), and then the MOQ has to be met.

@dondan

Sir this is really an amazing product an I have to give you props but just one thing I would like to know before I will possibly pledge for this via that voting page, if I decide to buy the default OG A4 design, would you be kind enough to include the power brick and the custom PCBs unique to this build?
Cause I went to the original post and did not find information regarding these things.

More power @dondan and good luck to all!!!

This is impossible, because i have to give the warranty for the brick and the dc board this is very hard for a one man company. Maybe i can get hdplex into the boat with the dc board, because i have a good connection to them but i think if my company grows up with selling the A4 it cold be possible for a second charge.

Thanks for your nice words :)

Last edited:
Wow, I am still waiting on my NCASE to arrive, but I REALLY like this build. I can see myself supporting you on Kickstarter and more than likely purchasing this case as well. Fantastic job!!!

Probably yes.
But I want to hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Dondan?

Last edited:

>>At first i want to thank everybody who has supported this poll. <<

And now we come to the result of the question: building the A4 default or the A4-SFX.
Overall 235 people helped me to find the answer for the question. To make the vote explicit, there a three different rounds, with three different criteria for the two cases.

A4 default vs. A4-SFX
-Round 1: all votes
-Round 2: valid name and with the aim to buy or maybe buy this case
-Round 3: valid name and with the aim to buy this case

I have to do the three rounds, because it is very easy to manipulate this poll, by sending the vote again and again without a username. And i defenetly found some of this cheat-votes in the scheme.

Here are some background information:

doyouplanbuy4kyu8.jpg

wherefollowfvxzi.jpg

And finally the results:

Round ONE (*ding ding ding* FIGHT )
round1i0b6r.jpg

Round TWO
round2leyix.jpg

Round THREE
round3pizv3.jpg

As you can see the results are very close to each other but the

>>A4 default is the winner <<

out of this. So i will build the Default at first.

>>But now i have great news for all SFX-Lovers. <<
The second series i will build after the first will be the SFX-Version. I made this decision because the result of the poll is nearly 50%:50% for both cases.

What are the next steps?

- buying myself a GTX970/980
- testing the max power of the Dell 240 Slim external brick (Maybe Maxwel 970/980 ready then this will be an cheap option for you)
- testing long risercards that i will get in some weeks
- testing fliped gpu heatlevel between mainboard and backside of the gpu
- creating the A4 default in SolidWorks
- starting the first crowdfounding round for the LianLi prototype

Hehe closer than I thought it would be.
I will wait for the GTX 960 to come out and then I will with high chance buy what is out by then.

Well 91 confirmed buyers, good job!

So are you trying to implement the flipped GPU idea? Should be good for the non-reference cards then!

On a side note, it looks like the UK got shafted with the new GTX 970/980 prices. We're paying £70-100 more for our cards, with a ~170 difference between the two.

I was going to go with a reference 980 but honestly its not worth £170 more. So i want to get a 970, but there are none with an NVTTM cooler :(

I am also searching for an GTX 970 with NVTTM cooler only one brand published such a version
Manli GTX 970

40221_03_manli_releases_its_new_geforce_gtx_980_and_gtx_970_cards_full.png

But i think i 2-4 weeks evga, zotac or inno will do the same.

On a side note, it looks like the UK got shafted with the new GTX 970/980 prices. We're paying £70-100 more for our cards, with a ~170 difference between the two.

I just checked price at Scan, and it's 15 euros less than I paid for mine in the Netherlands. Where are you getting the 100 quid more from? :confused:

Or, are you comparing with USA prices? Remember that in Europe we pay sales tax (19-21%)

Yeah i'm comparing with US prices. I guess i didn't incorporate sales tax.

Also i was looking at OCUK, didn't notice scan with its lower prices (oops)

I think we can add the Silverstone AR05 to the list of compatible CPU coolers. It's only 37mm tall. It looks like it has potential, but we'll have to wait for the reviews.

Also, for the A4-SFX, will the SFX PSU block the GPU's intake?

Hey, I just re-checked the A4-SFX with flipped GPU pics.

This is kind of picky (perfectionist?) of me, but with GPUs that have things written on them, don't you think it would be better if you switched the gpu and the motherboard's places?
You know have the motherboard on the left (looking from behind) with the PCI-E slot up instead of down like in the default version.
That way, the GPU would be facing the right way (can read what's on it) and maybe allow for less flexing on the back of the case.

Is that possible? Am I missing something here? Just a thought.

edit: sort of like this:
http://imgur.com/bohcFZm
http://imgur.com/WTqf9R9
http://imgur.com/IJ317dS
Notice on the second one you can read "gigabyte"

edit2: fixed a typo-ish thing

Last edited:
What are the next steps?[/SIZE [
- testing long risercards that i will get in some weeks
- testing fliped gpu heatlevel between mainboard and backside of the gpu

sfx_twisted_gpuulfkg.jpg

I will check it. The mainproblem is the big heat on the backside of the GPU (80°C and more) This can damage the flex risercard or Motherboard. And xou are right i think of switching motherboard and gpu for a better hold.

Last edited:
Didn't know that HP made a 350w adapter. But being a square it looks ugly and i think its less convenient than the Dell one. It would be nice to know the maximum it can power though!

I just did the math for how much the case+PSU would cost on the original A4 (non-SFX version).

Assuming the case is $150 (as mentioned before), then it'll cost $375 (including the HDPlex 250W PSU and Dell 330W Adapter).

Hnnng. My wallet can't handle it.

Ok if you buy the Dell 330W in the Dellshop you are right but if you buy for example here you will get a much more better price:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/lapt...1-ADP-330AB-B-P-N-XM3C3-19-5V/2013133038.html
or here
http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/657-130237-1500/Dell-Common-Item-Dell-AC-Adapter-NEW-Original.html

Xm3c3 is the expensive oone of Dell and ad330w the non dell labeled one. I will add all these important information to my webside :)

All prices are include shipping:
Dell 330W 72$
PicoBox X3-Atx-300 60$
A4 defautl 150$
-----------------------------
Total: 282$ :)

Last edited:
I just did the math for how much the case+PSU would cost on the original A4 (non-SFX version).

Assuming the case is $150 (as mentioned before), then it'll cost $375 (including the HDPlex 250W PSU and Dell 330W Adapter).

Hnnng. My wallet can't handle it.

This is one of the facts that made me wote SFX.

In Sweden the dell 240W (not even 350) cost 160$.
Then add the HDPlex at almost the same price its more then twice the cost over and SFX.

If you guys think you got shafted over the price on the GPUs.
When we get new prices in dollars we multiply them by 10. Even though you only get 7 swedish crowns on each dollar.The cheapest GTX 970 is 450$.

BTW. As it looks like the SFX version also will be built. Isn't there a possibility to add that to the kick-starter campaign? Like store credit. So that I can back you and then wait for the SFX version.

Last edited:
Back