DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

I think that using a sticker instead of permanently milling the logo on is a very smart idea, as you are going to get the interest of people who are very picky about visual details with this case.
I am one of the picky people you describe. :)

I would much rather have a sticker especially considering that it would be impossible to remove the milled logo.

Hello guys, i made a big Update on the first post in this thread. I edit the FAQ and text. Also there are some new renderings. This would be the last update until crowdfunding starts. Everything is final for starting the prototyp process with the manufracture.

GO TO THE FIRST POST

And all rendering as thumbnail. (For a better view visit side one of this thread)

Last edited:
I saw that recently Lian Li has some cases with long flexible pci express risers included. Maybe they're cheaper and just as good as those 3M long risers? Just a thought, have you contacted them about this?

ps: your renders look awesome!

Hey dondan, super hyped about this case! I have never dealt with riser cables before so sorry if this has already been posted or sounds noobish, but will this cable be easily replaceable for PCIe revisions in the farther future? I want to be able to use this case 4-eva :p

3M said ready for PCIe Gen4. But for comparison from PCIe 1.0 16x to PCIe 3.0 16x you lose arround 2FPS so PCIe.

Dondan, this is the Lian Li pci express riser i was talking about in my last post: http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pw-pci-e/

If Lian Li will make this case for you, maybe they can offer a better deal than 3M for the number of risers you need. It's also a bit longer and apparently more flexible than the 3M, maybe you could shave a few mm of the case by using this riser. :)

In theory there will be two, but as you can see dondan might pay for the prototype himself.

I don't know how NCASE did it, but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

When the crowdfunding campaign for the prototype is a success, what would you do with the additional money?

The only sensible thing to me seems to make a single campaign and subsidising the cost for the prototype with the price for the actual case.

I just saw the update, does that mean that the default A4 is now on hold? What about renaming the A4-SFX to A6? That seems like a more intuitive name to me.

I delete everything about the A4default because for some new users it could be very perplexing. And actual i have my focus on the A4-SFX. After that i will made a thread for the "A4default".

Last edited:
A few small typos in the first post:

"The big advantage of this new standart is the very silent FAN."

"The Motherboardtray will be have a glued non conductiv shield at this posistion and for the SFX PSU is a non conductive coverage included."

Also you can't have a very silent fan. It's either silent or it isn't. Quiet would be a better word.

What does have the second quote to do with the first?
You can have a quiet fan. Ok i will change it :). If you have time you can improve my text and send it me via pm because my english isn't the best.

Last edited:
You can have a silent fan.

He's just commenting on some grammatical/spelling errors, they're not linked. Also he's saying that the silence of a fan isn't really measurable by qualifiers like "very", because by it's definition it is an extreme, the lack of noise. It would be better to say "very quiet" or just "silent".

Ah ok ;) rawrr i think you must improve my texts again ;)

Last edited:
It wouldn't hurt to hire a copywriter to go through your marketing material, descriptions etc.

They are both in the first post of this thread. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

rawrr is correct regarding the fan. If I spot anything else I'll send you a PM. :)

Long time lurker, first time poster. I really like this design, it's a breath of fresh air. I also really like the logo that you've chosen.

I've corrected a few minor grammar/spelling errors in the OP. I've also done some minor rephrasing/restructuring of sentences where I felt it was appropriate, and added a tiny amount of detail here and there. I'm no Voltaire, but I think it reads a little better now. Let me know what you think. :)

The A4-SFX case is a one-man project with the goal of creating the smallest case possible while still using high-end off-the-shelf components, supporting configurations such as an i7 with a GTX 980. The result is a unique product that is much smaller than all competing cases.

This case is perfect for SFF enthusiasts, gamers who want to bring their PC into the living room or to LANs, and developers who need a powerful system, but travel frequently or have limited desk space.

<snip>

The case is nearing completion in the design part of things, and I am looking to launch a crowdfunding campaign soon.

Features:
Dimensions: 111mm x 196mm x 314mm, 6,6L
Material: 1,5 mm Aluminum
Motherboard Support: Mini-ITX
GPU Support: not higher then Dual-slot, <= 295mm length, Blower-type or Dual/Triple-Fan cooler
CPU Cooler: 48mm height (Heatsink + Fan)
Drive Support: 2 x 2,5&#8221; HDD/SSD
PSU Support: SFX, SFX-L
Riser Cable: 3M PCIe Gen3/4 250mm Extender is included (best riser cable on the market)

A number of creative ideas were needed to create the case. The most prominent is the shift of the graphics card to behind the motherboard,
using a quality shielded riser cable.The case will come with the best riser cable on the market, the 3M PCIe Extender with PCIe Gen3 and 4 support.

<snip>

You can easily mount a SFX or SFX-L Power Supply. SFX-L is a new power supply standard by Silverstone. The main advantage of this new standard is the larger fan (120mm instead of SFX's 80-92mm), allowing for much quieter operation. However, if you mount a SFX-L PSU, you can only mount one 2,5" drive.

<snip>

Every component is able to cool itself by getting fresh air directly from the outside. Hot air in the case will move to the top and then outside
without the need of an extra fan.

<snip>

You can mount up to two 2,5" HDDs/SSDs in a special HDD bay. The bay can be mounted with anti-vibration rubber spacers on the case.

<snip>

FAQ

&#8226;When will this be released? How can I buy one?

In the middle of 2015 on Indiegogo or StartNext.

&#8226;How much will it cost?

Around $150-$250, depending on the discount price of the riser cable.

&#8226;What about taller cooler support?

This case is too small for those to fit. I am not going to make the case any bigger for those to fit either.
There are many low-profile coolers on the market which can cool an i7 4790k with good temps and noise level.

&#8226;Why it does have only one USB 3.0 port on the Front I/O?

We discussed this and came to the conclusion that one port is enough for most users.
Having more ports on such a small case would destroy the minimalist aesthetic.

&#8226;How will the side panels be mounted?

The case will have the Lian Li push-pins mounting solution.

&#8226;Will every AC outlet orientation on the SFX PSU work with the case?

It will work for all Silverstone, Chieftec and be quiet! SFX PSUs. Maybe some exotic cheap SFX power supplies will not fit.

&#8226;How do you ensure the backside of the GPU PCB won't short out on the motherboard tray or PSU?

The motherboard tray will have a glued non-conductive shield at this position. A non-conductive cover will be included for the SFX PSU.

&#8226;How is the front logo attached?

It is a sticker so you can easily remove it.

Last edited:
Many thanks to DontPeek and SeaJay for helping with my text. I took the best parts out of your suggestions and mix it together. :)

I took the best parts out of your suggestions and mix it together. :)
Much better now. :)

There are still a few things that I would change in the FAQ however:

• Indiegogo is missing an 'e' between the 'i' and 'g'
  • Dollar symbols are normally placed before the amount. i.e. $150 to $250
  • 'AC-Outlet' should be AC outlet
  • BeQuit should be be quiet!
  • i7 4790K needs a hyphen. i.e. i7-4790K
  • "How is the frontlogo attached?" needs a space between front and logo.
  • The first 'non-conductive' in the second to last question is missing a hyphen.
I hope this isn't too pedantic? :)

Dondan, do you think thin air filters (like DEMCiflex) could be placed on the inside, without affecting noise and temperatures too much? I'm not saying that the case should ship with this, i'm just curious if an user would choose to do so, what would be the results. Cause i'm afraid the panel's ventilation holes are already a bit too small, and a filter wouldn't work too well in this case. Do you plan testing something like this?

Sorry if this has been asked but If the cpu cooler limit is 48mm plus the fan which are the best coolers to choose apart from the NH-L9i?Apart from that it says if a sfx-l psu is used you are limited to one 2,5 ssd but in the rendeing it looks like there is more space.Is it possible to attach a fan on top of the ssd or a second ssd?The angle of the rendering confuses me if the space is enough.

Thanks.

@ArthurFM: Thanks for that i will change it tomorrow.

@majic12: In the renderings is a normal SFX PSU installed. A SFX-L PSU is 30mm longer and you need space for the modular cables ;).

@ArthurFM: Thanks for that i will change it tomorrow.

@majic12: In the renderings is a normal SFX PSU installed. A SFX-L PSU is 30mm longer and you need space for the modular cables ;).

Thank you dondan.Being the psu longer will it interfere with the ram?

Sorry if this has been asked but If the cpu cooler limit is 48mm plus the fan which are the best coolers to choose apart from the NH-L9i?Apart from that it says if a sfx-l psu is used you are limited to one 2,5 ssd but in the rendeing it looks like there is more space.Is it possible to attach a fan on top of the ssd or a second ssd?The angle of the rendering confuses me if the space is enough.

Thanks.

Can't help you fully right now, but I think if you search back through the thread there is a massive discussion about CPU coolers and which ones are compatible.

IMO the NH-L9i is the best, especially if you replace the fan with something a bit more powerful (maybe a Delta or something?)

how about rendering with a SFX-L PSU? want to know if that would conflict with the SSDs...

how about rendering with a SFX-L PSU? want to know if that would conflict with the SSDs...

The PSU itself won't, the cabling is the problem.That's why dondan designed the SSD mount to have one SSD mounted on top. Rendering it with the SFX-L PSU wouldn't show whether the cabling has space or not, but it may give an idea of what the clearances are.

I supose than when the prototype is made testing will begin(temps and stuff)?The case looks good cooled like that but im wandering what will happen when summer comes.Since there is no fan inside to move the air woudnt it get too hot?I supose it matters where are you living.In may case Spain where most of the time is hot and not many people have air conditioners.Do you think the case will hold gaming in summer?

I supose than when the prototype is made testing will begin(temps and stuff)?The case looks good cooled like that but im wandering what will happen when summer comes.Since there is no fan inside to move the air woudnt it get too hot?I supose it matters where are you living.In may case Spain where most of the time is hot and not many people have air conditioners.Do you think the case will hold gaming in summer?

There are quite a few fans inside. One on the CPU cooler, one on the PSU, and one to three on the GPU, so 3-5 in total. The summer time can be a problem, but if you can sacrifice quietness, there shouldn't be any problem with cooling in this case, even on higher-than-average ambient temperatures. A totally different issue arises with humidity.

dondan, add this little bad boy to your compatible CPU coolers list: http://www.techpowerup.com/209014/i...-chamber-cpu-cooler-for-mini-itx-systems.html

105a.jpg

Could be a game changer, or not :)

^Being sold now on Amazon for $65. Does look interesting (and I just bought the NH-L9i a few weeks ago).

^ It's at 45mm, which is what matters. I can't think of a case that will take the L9i but not this one... A bit heftier heatsink and vapor chamber may be it to perform better. Curious to see comparison reviews.

^ It's at 45mm, which is what matters. I can't think of a case that will take the L9i but not this one... A bit heftier heatsink and vapor chamber may be it to perform better. Curious to see comparison reviews.

Huh? The NH-L9i will definitely fit in this case. The pic above is the L9i next to it which is shorter.

Huh? The NH-L9i will definitely fit in this case. The pic above is the L9i next to it which is shorter.

You misread what I wrote. Read again. To be clearer, "one" stands for the IS-VC45 cooler...

I just noticed, of all the ID-cooling's low profile coolers, this is the only one they made compatible with LGA2011. And, they include it as the first product in their list, which seems to be ranked in terms of cooling performance (http://www.idcooling.com/Product/productList/category_parent/25/category/64/name/IS Series).

Seems to me, ID-cooling really trusts this one's capabilities. Makes me even more anxious to see a comparison review!

^Ah, my mistake. One thing is for sure though, at 45mm w/fan the cooler better perform quite well because no other fans besides low profile will be able to fit within the A4.

Last edited:
Back