Damaged server - Need advice

rkd29980

Limp Gawd
So I got this server off of ebay and it arrived damaged because it wasn't packed properly.

It is a Supermicro server and it looks like the little box on the front with the power button and indicator lights was it hard by something.

Can this damage be repaired and what are the parts called that I need to find. Can they be ordered from Supermicro?

Should I trust this server or should be worried of other internal damage and that it may destroy any drives I put in it?

https://i.imgur.com/H1Dsjx4.jpg

I have gotten a couple servers off of ebay and they looked like this as well. As long as it still functions fine it is not something I would jump to replace. I would try and bend the piece back and live with it. Open the case and look around and fire it up and see how it works. The only thing that worries me on shipping is drives. If you are suppying your own then I would not worry about much.

Was the server new or used?

Not totally fine but workable. You can see the IC separated from the PCB in that photo.

You can usually get replacement goodies straight from Supermicro's RMA department OR find an eBay seller with misc parts and email them. As for that exact part, unscrew the screws that hold it on and there should be numbers on it.

I don't think that is an IC, certainly not a package I recognize, though I do admit I am not sure just what it is either, maybe the cable connector?

OP, can you get the board disassembled out of there and get us some better pics? looks like one phillips still holding it on. Then you can get the rack ear off and straighten that fucker up with a vice and a hammer

Guess it depends on what you want to use it for, can you power it on by some other method, how much have you spent, how much would you spend to repair it, and can you do the repair yourself?

If you can handle those small soldering jobs, its a no-brainer. Fix it and keep going.

The power readout looks like a separate piece and only the cable lock was torn off the pcb. You probably have a good chance of finding that part alone... Then its a question of how much more you want to spend.

A caveat.... You may need to test it before you decide. It looks like the panel is only a read out for led status on the front panel, but if the system wont power without it, then you need a new part.

If it DOES power on with out that front panel readout, then you just need to ask yourself how critical those status lights are for the servers purpose. If it doesnt matter.... Just roll with it. But, for me, if it does anything you depend on.... Get the replacement part, or get it fixed.

You might even be able to send it and the cable lock out for repair and pay somebody else to solder it back on.

send me the board and the cable and I'm pretty sure I can can drag solder that back on

I bet if you straighten the heavy rack ear the lighter chassis material will conform pretty easily

That's more damage than the original photo lets on. Was it shipper insured? Is it a hard to find model number? Are you very skilled mechanically to push on the sheet metal in the right places to straighten it up? It may be less hassle for you to file a claim and get it returned.

You can get the button assembly for cheap your problem is the dented in case. If you plan on filling it with drives you need to either try bending it back as there is no room for that sort of dent when sliding the HD's in.

You can get the button assembly for cheap your problem is the dented in case. If you plan on filling it with drives you need to either try bending it back as there is no room for that sort of dent when sliding the HD's in.

Do you know where or how I can get a new front panel cheap?

Back