Damage while finding max in ATITool?

RickyJ

Gawd
Upgraded to an X800XT AIW (agp) just before New Years, ran perfect for a month until I got tired of the fan. Luckily the GPU location was close enough to where it was on my old 9800Pro, so my waterblock lined right up. Ran great for a month watercooled. Decided to open up ATITool one night (first time OC'ing this card), found max memory just fine (can't remember how high). But while trying to find the max core speed, it kept going until 603MHz, then tossed up an error message saying that I had to restart to get the stock settings back again. Temps were fine the whole time, according to the diode snuggled up next to the core. Since then (maybe not directly after), I've noticed errors and slight artifacting even while at the desktop, horizontal lines and horizontal chunks/bars mostly. Running the ATITool artifact scanner at stock speeds didn't go very well, it would find small errors right away and then start artifacting.

Tonight I took the waterblock off to check contact, and everything looked good. Cleaned the block and core with the trusty 99% isopropanol, spread a thin layer of AS5 on the core, and tightened the block down. Uninstalled what was probably 6.12 Cat's, and installed the new 7.2's. Still showing horizontal bars and causing errors in ATITool while scanning at stock speeds.

Anything else I should be trying? I seem to be having bad luck with video cards these days (9800Pro artifacting in HL2 became so bad it was unplayable). Anybody ever damage a card while using ATITool?:confused:

Well, 20 minutes of playing Titan Quest and it became unplayable. Stock cooling is back on, and it artifacted big time on the desktop on first boot. Using the analog cable to my LCD now, seems good so far surfing the net. Gotta figure this one out still...

when you first boot up your pc, when its still posting or when your in the bios, is their artifacts on the screen ?

if so = fux0red vid card.

It seems to be a-ok on the analog connection to my LCD, but the digital one was misbehaving before. I'll have to try it again on the DVI port. My waterblock and ramsinks didn't appear to be even close to touching anything bad on the board, and the block had good contact. On first boot after putting the stock heatsink on, it did artifact at POST. Not sure what could have caused it, possibly air bubbles in the contact surface? 7 minutes testing at stock in ATITool now, no errors or pixel deltas. Gotta try that DVI again...

edit: Scratch that, got the delta pixel error crap at 11 minutes. :(
edit2: Upgraded to ATITool v0.26, now I can watch the temps. 80°C scanning for artifacts. Doesn't seem out of line for stock cooling.

Upgraded to an X800XT AIW (agp) just before New Years, ran perfect for a month until I got tired of the fan. Luckily the GPU location was close enough to where it was on my old 9800Pro, so my waterblock lined right up. Ran great for a month watercooled. Decided to open up ATITool one night (first time OC'ing this card), found max memory just fine (can't remember how high). But while trying to find the max core speed, it kept going until 603MHz, then tossed up an error message saying that I had to restart to get the stock settings back again. Temps were fine the whole time, according to the diode snuggled up next to the core. Since then (maybe not directly after), I've noticed errors and slight artifacting even while at the desktop, horizontal lines and horizontal chunks/bars mostly. Running the ATITool artifact scanner at stock speeds didn't go very well, it would find small errors right away and then start artifacting.

Tonight I took the waterblock off to check contact, and everything looked good. Cleaned the block and core with the trusty 99% isopropanol, spread a thin layer of AS5 on the core, and tightened the block down. Uninstalled what was probably 6.12 Cat's, and installed the new 7.2's. Still showing horizontal bars and causing errors in ATITool while scanning at stock speeds.

Anything else I should be trying? I seem to be having bad luck with video cards these days (9800Pro artifacting in HL2 became so bad it was unplayable). Anybody ever damage a card while using ATITool?:confused:

YES! I totally KILLED a 9700Pro using ATiTool's max overclock detection function. It just kept slowly jacking my core speed up until my card just died.

^ I thought I had heard of it happening before. Maybe the newer ATITool stops it before it's too late now?

Goes for an hour in ATITool scanning without errors before I stop it, tested a few times. Stock cooler is on the card right now. No idea what made it so sketchy before. It was a tight fit getting my temp probe between the block and shim to sit next to the core, but I thought there was enough clearance. Gonna have to put the block back on soon and just use the onboard temp sensor for now, see how that goes.

Back