Daewoo DLX-37L1, is this a standard practice?

Revdarian

2[H]4U
Last year i bought a cheap 37'' hdtv, that according to the specs had a max resolution of 768p.

I took that for granted and well, a year went by, all good, 768p still seemed weird and i couldn't stand the 1080i look, but i began to fiddle 5 days ago to see if there was any way to get that 1080i more palatable, and went, disabled the EDID and told my windows that it could receive 1080p as part of a series of instructions to set up a "proper" 1080i output...

My surprise came when either i missclicked or windows mistook what i was doing, and changed the resolution to 1080p and... it totally worked, perfectly recognized and all!

So yeah i am personally thrilled that my "768p" TV is actually 1080p, but at the same time i am kinda pissed off that in order to bolster sales of higher models they were blocking the actual capability of my display ("only 40 inchers or higher support 1080p" said the manual and all <.<), and i wondered if this practice is//was common on the display market.

I mean i know that they use it on graphic cards and the like, but on displays?, really?, i mean that i don't find it as smart to cripple these kind of products, because at least in my mind i would rather, dunno, charge just a bit more and let it work at full capacity.

PS: the DLX-37L1 seems to be a Latin America ~ Europe only model.

Back