cygwin and ssh troubleshooting

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
Im running an SSH server at my house with cygwin and for the past couple of weeks, everything was working fine. Then, I went to connect this week, and I can't. I made sure the server is running, I can remote desktop in, but I can't connect through putty. Figuring it was the school blocking me, I asked a friend outside of my campus to try and connect, he couldn't. BUT I can connect to the localhost when I'm remote desktopped in. So I know the server is running. Im running it on port 222 and I have port 222 forwarded to my comp, along with 3389. The local LAN IP address is set statically, but that shouldn't matter as I can remote desktop in, so the 2 ports are forwarded correctly. When I start a putty session to that box from school, I do a netstat on the serverside and I see

TCP <compname>:222 <myforeignaddress>:1183 ESTABLISHED

so there is some kind of connection. When I try and connect through windows telnet through port 222, from either putty or windows, it works fine. I can connect. What do you think it could be? I re-ran the ssh config on cygwin's side, and re-added port 222 to the sshd_config file, but still nothing. Any suggestions?

i've restarted and restarted the sshd service multiple times using

net stop sshd

net start sshd

to no avail. I just went to services and restarted CYGWIN sshd and still didn't work. :(

i've restarted and restarted the sshd service multiple times using

net stop sshd

net start sshd

to no avail. I just went to services and restarted CYGWIN sshd and still didn't work. :(
I've been fortunate enough that a restart has worked.

Hopefully someone can be more intuitive.

Best of luck.

My first guess would be that your ISP is blocking 222. I would try moving to another port and seeing if that works.

If that doesn't, check to make sure that you don't have any software firewalls or anything blocking the connection.

My first guess would be that your ISP is blocking 222. I would try moving to another port and seeing if that works.

If that doesn't, check to make sure that you don't have any software firewalls or anything blocking the connection.

Hmm, interesting take. Ill try changing the port and post the results.

Edit: Results. It worked. 222 was blocked by my ISP for whatever reason. Oh well. I just changed it. :) Thank you. I would have never thought to check that.

Back