Cutting Plexi

Lt.Doomsday

Limp Gawd
how hard is it?

i was wondering cause i like to make a new window for my case. the design i'm not sure about,but i know i would use 2 80mm antec Fans i have laying around.

here is a pic of the side. not in the pic is i have one 120mm thermaltake fan blowing in.

DSCF0002.jpg

Plexi is pretty easy to cut. Just masking tape it all (so you dont scratch it) and use a hole saw or a drimmel to dig in. Off hand, I'd make one hole with a duct right over the CPU and let the HSF pull the air in. Then, I'd make another hole right next to the video card and put a fan blowing on the video card :cool:

It also works very well if you sandwich plexi between two boards (say 1/2'' of pine on each side) and use a jigsaw. I cut circles in my shroud doing this.

And yeah, use low rpm's, otherwise plexi/lucite will melt (it turns a nasty brownish).

Your post kind of confused me, are you looking to make a whole new window or just cut some fan holes in it?

cut holes in the window...
and i like the idea of making the fan duct right infront of the CPU and let the HSF suck in the air...

depending on your access (and skill with) power tools, a router is the best way to cut plexi.

arrrghhh use a holesaw and make sure you wieght it down with something so it dont run away

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
Your post kind of confused me, are you looking to make a whole new window or just cut some fan holes in it?

i don't want to mess up the oringal window,so i would like to make a replacement.

Ahhh yes, sry, forgot about that. As with any cutting always go nice and slow, because plexi melts very easily. I think you have the right mind for going about this, excellent idea on making another window. I would buy several sheets of plexi, one to practice on, and then cut one to the size (and shape if needed) of the original window and drill that one.

i just got done with modding my sister's case.put a new fan in her case and got a 2 size bigger drill bit and drilled the intake holes a little bigger in the front of her case.

sadly however,her AMD K-6 350 CPU Fan is shot.ball-bearing fan is sloushing around.guess i'm gonna have to go to radio shack and get a 60mm fan.i didn't get out today so i guess later in the week i'll head up to lowes and see if i can get some free scrap pieces that are damaged. i have a think piece of dupont pex. i found last night prat. with a shattered piece we had using some old permatex plastic cleaner.

Back