Custom SSD Cache for Large HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
intel rst was limited to 64GB unless something changed. Primocache is good.

Will Primocsche so more than one soinner, or just one at a time?

Lol sorry, mobile typing and I butchered that one.

Will Primocache handle multiple spinner drives or just one?

Edit:
  • Supports caching for multiple volumes
So yeah, unlike Optane it supports multiple volumes.

I'm doing a new SFF gaming PC and I think I'll do a couple small spinners for game storage and try this software to speed things up. I really wasn't feeling the urge to buy more SSD's.

Last edited:
I use primocache on my software Raid 0 of old 500gb HDDs as my game drive. Works like a charm, when playing a game it gets into the 90%+ hit rate and everything is snappy. Here's a shot of the performance increase depending on settings.

Drive Performance.JPG

And once it's setup, it just works. I totally recommend.

Level one can be typed in, but the biggest preselect is 24gb for me. But that might be based on how much ram I have. Level Two has an option for MAX, and it used the whole 128gb SSD. My copy is Home, so I can't speak to the server version.

Level one can be typed in, but the biggest preselect is 24gb for me. But that might be based on how much ram I have. Level Two has an option for MAX, and it used the whole 128gb SSD. My copy is Home, so I can't speak to the server version.
Thanks for that.

I have a 400GB NVMe Intel 750 that I'll eventually need to replace with my next build. I was considering using the Intel Smart Response until I realized it did not support this drive. The PrimoCache seems like it would work. I also like the idea of throwing in a mini ram disk cache too. It's neat that is an option.

One of my concerns would be how effectively it can be removed if necessary. My Optane tinkering was a disaster when it was time to pull it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back