Custom NAS Needed?

binjured

Limp Gawd
Looking ahead to when I return home and further on to when I move mid-2008, I would like to get a NAS setup for the myriad computer and computer-like objects that litter my life. Here's what I will have upon my return (roughly):

• 1 x MacBook Pro
  • 1 x Mac Pro
  • 2 x PC (XP/Linux)
  • 1 x XBOX 360 (Elite)
  • 1 x Printer

When I move later next year these numbers should approximately double across the board thanks to the fact that I'm moving in with another technophile. Just among my own items there's a strong urge to want them connected together by more than just a router. I have looked into the NAS thing a little bit, but I'm pretty far behind the curve on it. I checked out Small Network Builder, but most of their How-Tos for NAS seem to be either outdated or centered around creating 14-disk behemoths which is a bit excessive and overly time- and money-consuming for my needs. I've outlined my needs below:

Small(ish) Form Factor
As much as I would just love to have yet another giant tower taking up space somewhere, I'd prefer to create something that uses a smaller form factor. Maybe something I can throw on a counter or a shelf.

Shared Storage
A pretty basic need, but I will need to be able to have shared storage that will work with the Macs, PC and Linux boxes seamlessly. This will be used primarily for development resources as well as backup and random storage.

Web Server
I do web development for a living and instead of running a separate web server on each computer I'd like a central box for this. However, I need something beyond the ho-hum PHP/MySQL offerings that most pre-packaged NAS solutions provide. Such a simplistic setup would be close to worthless to me.

Printer Sharing
Because who needs more than one printer, really?

Media Sharing
I'd like to be able to share media between the boxes. For instance, I think it would be absolutely awesome to have a single iTunes library that could be accessed over the network (wirelessly if needed) instead of mirroring my iTunes library across multiple machines. This goes for stuff like movies as well.

As I mentioned previously, after some looking I have yet to find a readily available NAS system that meets my needs. I presume the best solution would be to setup a *nix box for this, but I am pretty unfamiliar with the process as far as shared storage, printer sharing, and media sharing goes. I don't expect anybody to give me a step-by-step guide, but pointing me in the right direction would be very helpful. Thanks all!

just buy a server off ebay, like a dual 1.4 for under 600, add a sata raid card and as many drives as you can fit, and install win2003 or windows home server.

if your a geek and have the money, a full blown computer working as your nas will be much more expandable.

just buy a server off ebay, like a dual 1.4 for under 600, add a sata raid card and as many drives as you can fit, and install win2003 or windows home server.

if your a geek and have the money, a full blown computer working as your nas will be much more expandable.
I figured more along the lines of what I need is a home server, which I ran for quite a few years in the past. I certainly don't want it running Windows, though. I have a feeling it would be far more incompatible with the Linux and OSX machines. Is that true?

I figured more along the lines of what I need is a home server, which I ran for quite a few years in the past. I certainly don't want it running Windows, though. I have a feeling it would be far more incompatible with the Linux and OSX machines. Is that true?

Not if you use FAT32 partitions.... I would also recommend a Windows server platform for this task.

2003 Server is about as stable as anything I've seen when setup properly.

+1 with windows server 2003

i personally dont like IIS and microsoft sql so i went with apache and mysql with php 5

Not if you use FAT32 partitions.... I would also recommend a Windows server platform for this task.

2003 Server is about as stable as anything I've seen when setup properly.

Does the file system even matter when you are sharing it across the network?

Does the file system even matter when you are sharing it across the network?

Good point, I know it doesn't in most situations... but I'm not sure about Linux... I've not got a ton of experience with it...

edit: found this on another forum... So yes, I would use NTFS for it's added benefits over fat32.

"If the NTFS partition is on another computer and you're using Samba as a network solution then yes. Locally, linux struggles with NTFS, over a network, file system doesn't matter in the slightest. You could have a Linux machine with ext2, OS X with HPFS+ and Win32 with NTFS and they wouldn't care, they just send the data over the network in that specific network protocol and the end machine translates it when it arrives."

My biggest qualm with using Windows Server is that all of my web servers run Linux. If I want to create an environment close to my deployment platform, I will probably run into problems doing that on Windows. Problems with missing packages, things I can't compile, etc. I don't have that issue on OS X because it's got the UNIX back-end, bash, etc.

I would say definitely go with Linux unless you have a concrete reason not to. If you're familiar with Linux (and you say you are), then why even consider Windows without a need for something like Exchange/some other MS only product?

Set yourself up a nice Linux box, you can use Samba and possibly good old NFS mounts as well. On top of this, you can run Apache, MySQL, and whatever else you need locally on the server, and even have a networked drive as a document root so that you can, say, write code on one machine, do images on another, etc. It's really not all that hard to set up.

Gawd... I hate that word "NAS". When did that become the new PC term? Just build a "Server". That's what we called it in ye olden days.

I suppose a NAS is just a Server that only holds files, instead of doing other cool things too. A good definition for NAS is "neutered server", since it's designed to be a subset of what any regular Windows/Linux Server can do.

Based on what the OP listed, you want a Server. Build one. Don't buy a metal can with hard drives.

-Robert

Gawd... I hate that word "NAS". When did that become the new PC term? Just build a "Server". That's what we called it in ye olden days.

I suppose a NAS is just a Server that only holds files, instead of doing other cool things too. A good definition for NAS is "neutered server", since it's designed to be a subset of what any regular Windows/Linux Server can do.

Based on what the OP listed, you want a Server. Build one. Don't buy a metal can with hard drives.
Yeah, I figured that out pretty quickly myself. I thought there was more to NAS than met the eye, but I suppose not. I'll just get the ol' server running again and figure out how to use Samba this time.

for NAS at home, I think openfiler will do everything you want. that or freeNAS. I dont know about printer sharing but it might work

Well... I would say a NAS is an external hard drive that hooks up to a network. Nothing more. Simple crappy web interface.

You need a server.

Back