Custom loop or AIO?

• Thread starter Deleted member 126051
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 126051

Okay, I'm going to be re-potting (changing cases) on an old i7 970/1366 system into a Core X9 case.

I want to go liquid cooling. Mostly for reduced noise.
Overclocking isn't really a huge factor, as stability >>>>>>>>>>>>> overclock.

Just wondering if I should build a custom loop or just buy an All-In-One.

If I go with an AIO, should I go with a 280mm (2x140) or 360 (3x120)?

Also, taking recommendations on brands as well, though I know a good number of the AIOs are built by the same provider.

Upper budget limit is about $200 total. So something like the Alphacool Nexxos kit is a bit outside my budget range.

I had a lazy 3.3GHz + Turbo overclock on my 920, and ran a CoolIT ECO ALC for about 4.5 years. It peaked right around 60°C regardless of what I threw at it. I got an H60 when it died, and have dropped in a Xeon X5680 now. OCCT Linpack gets one of the cores up to 56°C, with 4 others at 54° or 55° (Core 2 is always cooler and at 50°). It's not perfectly silent, but it's just got that case fan hum to it (with the side panel currently off even).

In my experience, a single 120mm will do a pretty good job of keeping it cool and quiet. A 240 should do a great job of it. A 280 or 360 will just be that much better. I'm generally a supporter of buying the best you can afford, but I think even a budget AIO would be acceptable. The [H] review showed the Swiftech H240-X to be a great performer and nearly silent, but it also showed the H60 to be a much better value as far as cooling:cost ratio. The bigger AIOs give you better performance, but the cost goes up proportionally as well.

Back