Custom Loop on 2 Fan headers?

smarenwolf

Weaksauce
Cheers folks,

I want to build a custom loop on my MAXIMUS VIII Impact, which sadly only has 2 fan headers (cpu and case). While I could use the fan extension card, I'd really rather not due to space limitations and cabling nightmare in a DAN A4-SFX.

Now, the following parts need to be connected:
EKWB DCC 3.2 PWM Pump
2x NOCTUA NF-A9x14 PWM Fans (0.22A)
3x EKWB EK-Vardar F3-120 PWM Fans (0.36A)

The pump takes it's power from Molex, and is only connected to the header for PWM and Tachometer-signal.

Would there be a reason against, for example, splitting the pump and the two Noctuas from one header and the three Vardars from the second header?
And more specifically, which part should go onto which header?

Cheers, cy

Last edited:
After some brainstorming, I'm thinking this might be the best way:

2x NOCTUAs on CPU head, jumping CPU-temp shouldn't be much of an issue here, the Noctuas are pretty silent anyway. And a higher CPU-temp might indicate a higher system load anyway, so a bit more case cooling is fine.
3x Vardars and the DDC on CASE head. Case temp should change more slowly anyway, so the pump shouldn't be bothered with drastically changing PWM-signals.

Opinions?

You might want to take a peek at something like this: Link that would let you run all your fans off of one PWM header (on the mobo) and use the other header for the pump.

I've never used the XSPC splitter I linked to, so I can't say if it's any good (had good luck with other XSPC products though) but any powered splitter should work fine for your needs.

Shouldn't be necessary, though, should it?

The Noctuas draw 0.22 Ampere (of 1A max provided by the header)
The Vardars draw 0.36 Ampere (again, of max 1A). The pump only uses PWM and Tacho, so shouldn't draw any significant amount.

Shouldn't be necessary, though, should it?

The Noctuas draw 0.22 Ampere (of 1A max provided by the header)
The Vardars draw 0.36 Ampere (again, of max 1A). The pump only uses PWM and Tacho, so shouldn't draw any significant amount.
3 Vardars at 0.36a apiece = 1.08a. You're pressing dangerously close to the limit. I know you don't want to, but you should really consider a small discrete fan controller, like the Aquacomputer Quadro.

It'll do a much better job of controlling your watercooled system, you won't need to take the risk of blowing up the fan headers on your expensive motherboard, and you'll be able to bring the controller with you to future builds.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
2x Noctua = 2x0,11 = 0,22
3x Vardar = 3x0,12 = 0,36

That Amperage was "for all fans" (of a given type :D).

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Oh! Well in that case you're probably okay amperage wise. I don't think there's anything unsafe about what you're wanting to do.

Still tho, I'd encourage you to look into it. Motherboard fan control profiles are built around heatsink/fan setups and don't really control watercooled systems "correctly." They work, sure, but your fans ramping up under processor heat does fack-all for your actual cooling in a custom loop system.

Reactions: Gavv
like this
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Well, that makes it an easier pill to swallow regarding the amps, but fans can draw more at spin up versus their running load. You're probably still fine, but take a look and see if you can sneak this into your build - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07416KLWJ/
61auIZRcQML._SL1000_.jpg
I have one of these with my 8x gentle typhoons on it, and the pwm cable heads down to the motherboard header to control them all at the same time, while the sata power gives them juice so the mobo header isn't used. I had to use a dedicated controller for my pumps because they are ten years old and don't have pwm control.

Personally I wouldn't be a fan of mixing the pump and fans to one pwm signal, they operate at different rates and you may have a tough time dialing in a happy rate for both the fans and the pump with one control. You also want to be careful sending only one pwm and rpm signal to the motherboard for each header, if you wire in the fans and the pump to the same header, it will likely confuse the motherboard's readings. This is why the controller I linked exists (besides just providing more power) so that one device is the primary pwn and rpm device, and all others follow its lead.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Another option is one of these:

bowen_cac-cmd-pro.jpg

The Aquacomputer ones are nice, but they are really expensive. in my own application i have one handling 3x rad fans, a rear 140mm fan and a front low speed 200mm fan. This one has added temp probes for custom temperature management as well as can read any of the temps listed in your bios. I don't personally use the add-on probes, but let it control the various speeds from motherboard sensors. If you run a Corsair H## AIO cooler, the same software monitors your liquid temperature. The control is through the USB port and power is taken from a sata PSU connector so there is no motherboard fan header stress.

Admittedly the Aquacomputer one is a better controller, but this one works well for me and costs a LOT less.

Another option is one of these:

View attachment 116131

The Aquacomputer ones are nice, but they are really expensive. in my own application i have one handling 3x rad fans, a rear 140mm fan and a front low speed 200mm fan. This one has added temp probes for custom temperature management as well as can read any of the temps listed in your bios. I don't personally use the add-on probes, but let it control the various speeds from motherboard sensors. If you run a Corsair H## AIO cooler, the same software monitors your liquid temperature. The control is through the USB port and power is taken from a sata PSU connector so there is no motherboard fan header stress.

Admittedly the Aquacomputer one is a better controller, but this one works well for me and costs a LOT less.
Have you seen the Aquacomputer Quadro? It's a baby Aquaero, and costs $45!

http://www.performance-pcs.com/aquacomputer-quadro-fan-controller-for-pwm-fans.html

I seriously wish it had been around when I got my Aquaero - I would have bought the Quadro instead.

Yeah it is nice. For me it would be closer to $90-$100CA by the time shipping, exchange and duties got done with me :( Buying from outside Canada (even from the U.S.) is freaking brutal! From Germany it's madness. The Corsair cost me $86 CA all in.

After some brainstorming, I'm thinking this might be the best way:

2x NOCTUAs on CPU head, jumping CPU-temp shouldn't be much of an issue here, the Noctuas are pretty silent anyway. And a higher CPU-temp might indicate a higher system load anyway, so a bit more case cooling is fine.
3x Vardars and the DDC on CASE head. Case temp should change more slowly anyway, so the pump shouldn't be bothered with drastically changing PWM-signals.

Opinions?
do that and us speed fan to control so fans dont spike during cpu use. set the fan to only kick on when temps hit actual load temps and ignore the little spikes. just get yourself a 2way and a 3 way splitters.
edit: your amperage is totally fine, no need for those other controllers.

Back