Custom cabling for semi-external WC loop (RJ45, RJ-50, D-SUB9?)

smarenwolf

Weaksauce
Cheers folk,

i'm still planning my WC'd DAN A4-SFX. Radiator and reservoir will be external, everything else will be internal.
Untill recently, when I decided to add an Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT to the (still hypothetical) mix.
There are quite a few possibilities with the Aquaero I want to use, so it being part of the build is not up to debate.

Now, there are basically two ways to do what I want:
Have the AE6 internally, this would mean I'd only have the res and it's fans outside. Only a simple 4pin-connector for the fans would need to go outside the case (besides tubing, obviously).

But as far as I've seen, this is a very, very tight fit in the case and might not be possible with a card like the GTX1080Ti. The only place for the AE6 inside the case would be at the end of the GPU-chamber bolted to the front of the chassis.
Moving the AE6 outside the case to the radiator would mean I'd need to run all the cabling to that location as well.

With the AE6 being on the radiator, the following cables would need to run from case to AE6 or vice versa:
- 2 wires for emergency power-off
- 2 wires for PWM/RPM of the pump
- 3 wires for 12V, 5V, Ground
(7 wires)

If going by RJ-45, I might use a second cable to be able to measure and control a few other things like case fan, ambient temperature, etc. Not sure yet.

The main question is... can I send 12V and 5V via a custom ethernet cable, for example?

Bye, cy

Cheers folk,

i'm still planning my WC'd DAN A4-SFX. Radiator and reservoir will be external, everything else will be internal.
Untill recently, when I decided to add an Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT to the (still hypothetical) mix.
There are quite a few possibilities with the Aquaero I want to use, so it being part of the build is not up to debate.

Now, there are basically two ways to do what I want:
Have the AE6 internally, this would mean I'd only have the res and it's fans outside. Only a simple 4pin-connector for the fans would need to go outside the case (besides tubing, obviously).

But as far as I've seen, this is a very, very tight fit in the case and might not be possible with a card like the GTX1080Ti. The only place for the AE6 inside the case would be at the end of the GPU-chamber bolted to the front of the chassis.
Moving the AE6 outside the case to the radiator would mean I'd need to run all the cabling to that location as well.

With the AE6 being on the radiator, the following cables would need to run from case to AE6 or vice versa:
- 2 wires for emergency power-off
- 2 wires for PWM/RPM of the pump
- 3 wires for 12V, 5V, Ground
(7 wires)

If going by RJ-45, I might use a second cable to be able to measure and control a few other things like case fan, ambient temperature, etc. Not sure yet.

The main question is... can I send 12V and 5V via a custom ethernet cable, for example?

Bye, cy
The voltage won't be an issue - I'm sending 24v to my wireless access point using POE - but the current might. Using the handy chart here: Link cat5 (24awg wire) can transmit .5A* safely, so depending on what you want to power you may want to look into alternatives like USB 3.0 (9pins) since that's rated up to 1.5A.

* .5A seems pretty conservative to me, especially at 12v since POE+ is rated for 25W and 25W @ 12V is something like 2A if my math is correct. That said, I'm no expert, and don't want you to burn your house down, so if I'm wrong it'd be nice if someone with a better understanding of physics would jump in and correct me!

Yeah, I'm really not good with electrics, so... It'd be nice to know if a Cat5 or Cat6 (is there a difference regarding power transfer?) would suffice for what I need

Back