CS 1.6 on Windows7 Fusion

syn3rgyz

Gawd
I just got my 13" macbook pro yesterday. Installed fusion, created a windows7 VM, ran the windows update. I'm trying to play CS 1.6 on it but it will not let me run it in OpenGL saying that its not supported and switches to software mode, anyone know how to fix this?

arghh, i dont wanna partition my hard drive =[
but i guess i'll give it a try, how much space do you usually allocate for the partition for gaming?

I have a win7 install on my 13 macbook pro, and it takes up 24GB with OS, office, steam, and TF2. I have done nothing to slim it down. Just made a 40GB partition and that seems to be plenty.

I don't think Fusion does OpenGL. Parallels should. Try it. You should be able to import your Fusion VM so it doesn't take a rebuild.

Fusion allows you to use DirectX only, at this point I don't think it supports accelerating opengl. 1.6 should support both though.

just another question, does WoW run on OSX natively?

I only got my macbook pro yesterday but i only have 20gbs left =[

just another question, does WoW run on OSX natively?

I only got my macbook pro yesterday but i only have 20gbs left =[

Yes. All Blizzard games do.

And partitioning your drive with Bootcamp is like 3 mouse clicks away... Stop complaining. :p

Does bootcamp resize everything automatically? If I get bored of windows can I just resize the OSX partition to take up the full drive again?

its particularly cause im low on HD space and partitioning will be preallocating space instead of having it grow

Does bootcamp resize everything automatically? If I get bored of windows can I just resize the OSX partition to take up the full drive again?

Yes. Its a non-destructive partitioner. You can easily expand the OS X partition back if you no longer have a reason for Windows.

is there a way to convert the VM into the bootcamp partition? I deleted the windows7 iso and i dont wanna redownload/reinstall it if i dont have to.

Yes. All Blizzard games do.

And partitioning your drive with Bootcamp is like 3 mouse clicks away... Stop complaining. :p

All Blizzard games <should>. I have the lame Warcraft 3 TFT bug that stops it from installing. :(

is there a way to convert the VM into the bootcamp partition? I deleted the windows7 iso and i dont wanna redownload/reinstall it if i dont have to.

I recommend stopping what you're doing now and buying a new hard drive from Newegg. I just bought a 500gb drive for my Mac Mini for less than $100 and a customer of mine is about to order a 320gb WD Scorpio for only $65 shipped. If you're having space issues already, you definitely need a larger hard drive in that laptop.

When you've installed the hard drive and fully updated OSX, create a Bootcamp partition (40-60gb should be plenty big enough) and install Windows 7 on it. Then install VMWare Fusion and have it use the Bootcamp partition for the Windows install (Parallels does the same thing). Then you have the convenience of VM or the speed of Bootcamp.

i plan on doing that in a month or so when i get my pay check, i just blew my last one on the macbook.

I assume you got the 5400rpm one, does anyone know if 7200 will have any noticeable difference in performance and heat?

my 7200rpm 320GB Black does not seem any warmer, it is however, literally twice as fast as the stock drive according to xbench, only con is the vibration throughout the laptop.

^ is that only during gaming/ high I/O's or will listening to music and surfing the web be like that too?

7200rpm drives also reduce your battery charge faster. But I'm not sure by what percentage.

No, you can feel the vibration at any time, not just high I/O. Havent tested battery drain, but it doesnt seem to be much different.

I recommend stopping what you're doing now and buying a new hard drive from Newegg. I just bought a 500gb drive for my Mac Mini for less than $100 and a customer of mine is about to order a 320gb WD Scorpio for only $65 shipped. If you're having space issues already, you definitely need a larger hard drive in that laptop.

When you've installed the hard drive and fully updated OSX, create a Bootcamp partition (40-60gb should be plenty big enough) and install Windows 7 on it. Then install VMWare Fusion and have it use the Bootcamp partition for the Windows install (Parallels does the same thing). Then you have the convenience of VM or the speed of Bootcamp.
I already created the bootcamp partition and I'm playing 1.6 on it now, can i somehow use time machine to transfer both partitions over to the new drive when i buy one

I see that you have already decided to go the Boot Camp route, but you could also consider using Codeweavers Crossover Games.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

They have a 7 day Trial version that you can download and try. I have used it and it works quite well for HL2 based games.

Its nice since you can runs the games right inside OS X.

I agree with mathemabeat, I use Crossover to run CSS and CS1.6, both work close to perfectly on my 13" unibody.

can you turn off mouse acceleration somehow in mac OSX or during crossover? Cause i cant turn it off in windows 7 and its very annoying, im about to reinstall XP just so i can turn mouse accel off

can you turn off mouse acceleration somehow in mac OSX or during crossover? Cause i cant turn it off in windows 7 and its very annoying, im about to reinstall XP just so i can turn mouse accel off

Not by default. I found a tool called "USB Overdrive" that gives a bunch more mouse options, worked wonders for my VX Revolution.

Back