CRYTEK THANKS! make this THANKS thread! no dvd protection.

AtkinS

Gawd
I dont have dvd room, i dont like expensive games, drm protected here and there, this game got NOTHING ? i cant see any, just bought it, installed through my laptop, works without DVD.

Thankya crytek =) low price no dvd protection!

Yeah, weird isn't it? I'm gonna try playing without my internet connected next.

I just woohooo when it started ;D

tried highest settings, but my harddrive is killing me :| my quadfire 4870 seems to do much good in 1280x1024, pitty amd dont got 3ghz stock quads :p cpu botttttleeee neck :p

reinatll the game 6 times and see what happens. if on the 6th time it works then we can all THANK CRYTECK but i gighly doubt it because its been widely said that crysis warhead has the drm and 5 install limit

Crap. I was planning to upgrade 5 times in the next 12 months, which is probably about when they release a patch to remove drm. I guess I'm not buying this game now.

I don't know about the install limit, either. Who the hell knows or wants to try?

Anyway, I played it without an internet connection as well and it ran fine.

Also, I just finished the game, it was intense! Probably the best FPS I've played in a while, ranking with COD4 ( yeah shoot me).

I don't know about the install limit, either. Who the hell knows or wants to try?

Anyway, I played it without an internet connection as well and it ran fine.

Also, I just finished the game, it was intense! Probably the best FPS I've played in a while, ranking with COD4 ( yeah shoot me).

As much as I would like to get Crysis Warhead, I don't think I will because of the bullshit install limit.

Understandable, especially for someone like you who's job probably entails multiple installs etc. Images can only be used for so long and in so many scenarios.

Understandable, especially for someone like you who's job probably entails multiple installs etc. Images can only be used for so long and in so many scenarios.

Well my personal hardware gets changed up all the time. I switch motherboards and hardware out more than the average person does. Not just for work related scenarios but for my main gaming rig.

Does anyone have linkage to ACTUAL testing of this DRM?

When I do a Google search on Crysis Warhead DRM, all I get are pages and pages of bitches complaining about everything from it having only 8 installs to it breaking DVD drives.

Does anyone actually know first hand what is up?

When I do a Google search on Crysis Warhead DRM, all I get are pages and pages of bitches complaining about everything from it having only 8 installs to it breaking DVD drives.

No, nobody knows anything really.

Supposedly the game is limited to 5 installs. As for it breaking DVD drives that's been a complaint I've seen by many people in regard to games that use Secure ROM copy protection.

Devil's advocate here: So if you buy it, download a cracked copy, play that, then re-sell (NOT return) the un-opened purchased copy and delete the download, is that ethical, or no? :p

They're reporting in the Incrysis Forums that an Install limit counts against you only if you change motherboards. So if you swap out your video card and reformat but keep your motherboard it won't count.

Edit: Misinformation not true. See below link.

They're reporting in the Incrysis Forums that an Install limit counts against you only if you change motherboards. So if you swap out your video card and reformat but keep your motherboard it won't count.

This seems quite fair.

If I reformat the drive it won't count? Somehow they are going to track the motherboard? Interesting. If that works properly then I'm ok with that. I'm running a D5400XS so I won't likely be changing boards until I can get an 8 core Nehalem.

I may get the game now and put that to the test.

No it doesnt. There should not be a limit.

While I agree in principal I can live with a 5 install limit or an 8 install limit if the install limits are only counted when I change motherboards.

They can still track after a reformat? nahhhh that can't be right....

Actually, it is possible. There are several unique identifiers that can be read from individual motherboards. DMI information, BIOS information etc. It could track that.

I wonder if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky does that. I was forced to reactivate it after I switched out my motherboard for an identical one due to a hardware issue.

Ok well after I saw this on Incrysis forums I did a search on the official Crytek Modding forum and found where this originated from: so heres a link from a guy that works for Crytek on their official modding forum: So sorry to report its not true gonna edit my previous post.

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=36723&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=3
"Just to get that clarified, you can install warhead as often as you want on your PC as long as you do not make major changes to your hardware or re-install Windows.

So you can activate the game on X different PC's, whereas the number has not yet been clarified in the end, but you can install the game as often as you want on each of the PC's.

-alex "

Ok well after I saw this on Incrysis forums I did a search on the official Crytek Modding forum and found where this originated from: so heres a link from a guy that works for Crytek on their official modding forum: So sorry to report its not true gonna edit my previous post.

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=36723&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=3
"Just to get that clarified, you can install warhead as often as you want on your PC as long as you do not make major changes to your hardware or re-install Windows.

So you can activate the game on X different PC's, whereas the number has not yet been clarified in the end, but you can install the game as often as you want on each of the PC's.

-alex "

Well that sucks. I re-install Windows fairly often. (Mainly due to drastic hardware changes.)

I'm a bit surprised no one from EA or Crytek has come forward with a complete answer to the activation question.
The game and EA are getting hammered on a zillion forums (by me as well) and shopper reviews.
Clarifiction needed:
How many installs? what counts as an install?

Too bad about the activation. That's almost a complete deal breaker. Now I need to make sure that there is a Juarez "workaround" before I buy the game.

I could have accepted an online validation like Steam uses, but activation = fail. When will they learn? The pirated single player game is in no way going to be affected by the protection.

The main reason this "install limit" is fucking bogus is because EA has made the assumption that everyone drastically (motherboard, cpu) changes their setup every 10 years or something. I know there are people that re-install their OS like 20 times a year. Obviously EA has left the enthusiast market in the cold.

EA/Crytek's response <----- nice try, but it's still not OK.

I'm thinking of getting this game, but I really don't want to be calling EA whenever I reinstall the OS after 5 times and want to reinstall warhead for the 6th+ time.

EA/Crytek's response <----- nice try, but it's still not OK.
The missing question:

Q: Pirated copies of Crysis Warhead don't have to deal with these annoyances. Why do you put useless protections in games that only annoy legitimate customers?

A: Because we're absolutely clueless. And this way makes it easier to limit game reselling. Enjoy your rental. Boo-yah!

Again this prevents me from being able to re-install it on my one machine multiple times. Basically with all the hardware changes I make, I'll get five installs and that's it.

I really wanted to buy this. I've decided not to until they remove the install limit (like Bioshock) and I talked my friend out of buying it today.

He bought STALKER:CS instead.

This whole DRM fiasco is a huge PR disaster for EA and the companys they produce games for. I honestly feel really bad for Will Wright about all the crap that's been dumped on Spore. That game was his baby and it's forever scarred because EA had to treat its paying customers like criminals. Innocent until proven guilty is the law of the land. Don't put me in loose handcuffs "just in case" and say its ok because I can still function. I would wager piracy will increase rather than decrease for these titles and sales can only go down. No Spore, C&C, Warhead, Mass Effect, etc for me.

EA needs to realize pirates aren't going away. The only thing DRM like this might get rid of is PC gaming as we know it. I honestly won't buy a game in this kind of state and if there is any weight to the conspiracy that they're pushing us to consoles they need to understand that I have no intentions of owning an idiot-box PS3 or X360.

I found the Juarez patch, so i'm off to Fry's now to pick it up.

The state of DRM is really pathetic now, isn't it? I'm reduced to cracking games that I actually buy. :rolleyes:

I understand that the number of activation limits is annoying but it is not be an issue for 99.9% of gamers.
Let just hope that games developers will come in the future with a more elegant protection mechanism.

The DRM system implemented for the Crysis Warhead changes copy protection from being key-disc based, which requires authentication every time you play the game by requiring a disc in the drive (this was the system we used in the original Crysis), to a one-time online authentication. This system allows you to play your game without requiring the game disc in the drive on any of five different machines.

Please note: this DRM solution is for the Crysis Warhead disc only. Because of the online nature of Crysis Wars, and because we want to encourage easy-to-start LAN play, you are only required an authentication upon installation. If you want to play online on our servers, you will authenticate via Gamespy as you normally would.

Key Points:

This system allows you to authenticate your game on five computers with the purchase of one disc – you can install your copy on each machine as many times as you want. If you go over five machines, EA Customer Service is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted.

This DRM solution is safe. EA and Crytek would never allow anything that included spyware, viruses or malware to be installed on anyone’s computers.

We know there is concern about what will happen if the authentication servers turn off or questions about what will happen in five years if you want to play the game again (and we hope you do). If that were to ever happen, Crytek and EA would deploy a patch that would remove the authentication requirement completely.

FAQ:
Q: What is the difference between the old PC disc authentication solution and the new online model?
A: Two things have changed:

First, authentication of your game disc has changed from always needing to have your disc in the drive to an online format, eliminating the need to always have a disc in the drive when playing.

Second, with online authentication, consumers now connect to the Internet the first time the game is launched and are only required to reconnect if they are downloading new game content.

Q: How will the game authenticate now?
A: We authenticate your game online after installation when you launch it for the first time.

Q: Do I have to re-authenticate after the first time my game is launched?
A: Re-authentication is required only if you make significant changes to your PC's hardware, reformat your hard drive, or in some cases, upgrade your Operating System. Multiple installations of the game on the same computer that has not gone through significant changes will not count against the number of computers the game can be installed on.

Q: What are the benefits of online authentication versus the disc-based model?
A: The new system means you don't need to have the game disc in your computer in order to play. You will no longer have to carry disk to enjoy a game you already have installed.

Q: Am I able to play my game on more than one computer? Do I need the disc for that?
A: You'll be able to install and play the offline features of your game on up to five computers without the need of the game disc. Your computer is authorized after installation and the initial launch of the game.

Q: Will I still be able to play my game offline?
A: Yes, you can play offline.

Q: What happens when I’ve reached the maximum number of computers for my game and I need more? (Due to computer upgrades, theft, crashes, etc.)
A: EA Customer Support is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.

So, when you run out of installs, you do a support ticket and get more authorizations. Big deal. Just like calling Microsoft for Windows. And we don't need the damn disc in the drive anymore, awesome. It all seems like a fair compromise for a decent game.

So, when you run out of installs, you do a support ticket and get more authorizations. Big deal. Just like calling Microsoft for Windows. And we don't need the damn disc in the drive anymore, awesome. It all seems like a fair compromise for a decent game.

For a decent game, sure, but we're talking about Crysis! :p

Sorry, it had to be said. Honestly though it's not acceptable, at all. Accepting it as "not that bad" paves the way for even more draconian schemes in the near future. Fuck that shit with a spiked metal rod.

So, when you run out of installs, you do a support ticket and get more authorizations. Big deal. Just like calling Microsoft for Windows.
Both examples are annoying to *paying customers*. Pirates get the superior experience. See the problem? Pirates can rightfully laugh at the suckers who pay and are treated this way.
-----

I just picked up Warhead and GoW for $39 at Fry's. :D Good thing there are cracks or I would have skipped both.

If I can get additional authorizations through a phone call or an E-Mail support ticket, I'm fine with that. As you said, its' just like calling Microsoft.

Oh wow is securom annoying. The optical drive is seeking like crazy and is stalled copying the first few percent. It's taken almost 5 minutes to copy 4MB.

edit: past the first 181MB it started installing at normal speed.

I dont have dvd room, i dont like expensive games, drm protected here and there, this game got NOTHING ? i cant see any, just bought it, installed through my laptop, works without DVD.

Thankya crytek =) low price no dvd protection!

Well since you activated it online they have everything they want , personal information included... no point in forcing the disc in the drive.

Back