Crucial T700 Clocks 12.4 GB/s Sequential Reads in Previews

erek

[H]F Junkie
Is this the fastest?

“SSD manufacturer's favorite benchmark, CrystalDiskMark (CDM), shows the drive clock 12.4 GB/s sequential reads (1 MB, QD8), along with 9.22 GB/s (1 MB QD1). Sequential writes are as high as 11.87 GB/s (1 MB QD8), and 9.66 GB/s (1 MB QD1). IOMeter testing revealed that the sustained write speeds are rather low, with the T700 holding onto top speeds only up to 25 GB, beyond which write performance falls off a cliff to 3.8 GB/s. Find more such interesting results in the source link below.”

1681795856208.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/307416/crucial-t700-clocks-12-4-gb-s-sequential-reads-in-previews

I don't mind seeing improvements in sequential speeds for the sake of having better tech in general, but I really wish companies would focus on 4K reads/writes and latency instead. Often you get new drives that have incredible sequential speeds but haven't improved at all by other metrics- which to me means the numbers are good for marketing and maybe specific use cases, but especially as an OS drive, will not be any dramatically different than than the PCIe 3 nvme drives that have been around for a long time

Got my T700 today, runs as expected.
1685663593658.png
1685663940690.png

File copy within drive partition to partition.
It's fast, replaces a WD SN750 that felt slow during steam game patching.
Jedi survivor took longer to patch than it did to download.
Figured it was time for an upgrade.
40c idle, 60c load using Thermalright HR-09

I don't mind seeing improvements in sequential speeds for the sake of having better tech in general, but I really wish companies would focus on 4K reads/writes and latency instead. Often you get new drives that have incredible sequential speeds but haven't improved at all by other metrics- which to me means the numbers are good for marketing and maybe specific use cases, but especially as an OS drive, will not be any dramatically different than than the PCIe 3 nvme drives that have been around for a long time
There really doesn't seem to have been any perceptible improvement in standard desktop workloads from these ever faster SSD's. And the high-end SSD's have gone from MLC to TLC, while the low end is overtaken by QLC drives. Pricing per GB has steadily improved, that's pretty much it.

Back