Crossfire my 6870?

Drheadbang

Limp Gawd
So far I've been itching to upgrade, and with the delay of the 7xxx series and with BF3 coming out, I need more power for 1080p. Would it be best to deal with it until next year or sell my 6870 and pickup something stronger? I'm on 1 16/x 4x mobo with a 3.8 1100t phenom ii.

So far I've been itching to upgrade, and with the delay of the 7xxx series and with BF3 coming out, I need more power for 1080p. Would it be best to deal with it until next year or sell my 6870 and pickup something stronger? I'm on 1 16/x 4x mobo with a 3.8 1100t phenom ii.

i guess you can play at ultra setting with 6870 crosfire at 1080p, i have a 5850 crosfire and i can play crysis 2 on ultra with dx11 and high res textures, and crysis 2 its a beautiful game:cool:

dont xfire with that mobo, it would be a waste just to have that second GPU running on only 4x, if your itching for upgrading maybe upgrade your mobo in preparation for xfire 7 series cards if you have you heart set on xfire, if not then maybe sell your 6870 for a 6950 or 6970 since 7 series wont come out til q1 2012 maybe longer. but i would really wait til you can at least play the beta better yet, the actual retail game and see where you sit as far as performance, no since in wasting money, unless its really burning a hole in your pocket

i guess you can play at ultra setting with 6870 crosfire at 1080p, i have a 5850 crosfire and i can play crysis 2 on ultra with dx11 and high res textures, and crysis 2 its a beautiful game:cool:

IIRC recomended requirements for BF3 is HD 6950 (this is for high settings on 1080p im guessing)

dont xfire with that mobo, it would be a waste just to have that second GPU running on only 4x, if your itching for upgrading maybe upgrade your mobo in preparation for xfire 7 series cards if you have you heart set on xfire, if not then maybe sell your 6870 for a 6950 or 6970 since 7 series wont come out til q1 2012 maybe longer. but i would really wait til you can at least play the beta better yet, the actual retail game and see where you sit as far as performance, no since in wasting money, unless its really burning a hole in your pocket

Crossfire with a 4x slot (as long as it is 4x PCIe2, and not PCIe1) is far from a waste of money. Generally speaking the difference is less than 10% to that one card, so probably less than 7% overall. Sure, the board might do with upgrading, but there's nothing stopping you going for CF now and enjoying the benefits, then upgrading the board later when it suits.

Will my CPU be a bottleneck here?

No, your CPU is fine.

My boyfriend runs dual 6870s off his 2.4ghz (stock) Q6600 and it works really well in games. Your X6 Phenom at 3.8ghz would blow that out of the water.

You're always going to have people here saying you need [the latest CPU] at [insane overclock] to get the best out of your multi-GPU and mostly it's just a bunch of bullshit.

I'd say a 6870 CF card would be worth it. It's not extremely expensive, and the 6870s perform similarly to the 560Ti in most games at 1920x1080. You could probably snatch up a good deal on the FS section too.

Depends.
Is it a 1GB card or a 2GB card?

I would not waste money if its a 1GB. Upgrade after 7 series come out.

You're always going to have people here saying you need [the latest CPU] at [insane overclock] to get the best out of your multi-GPU and mostly it's just a bunch of bullshit.

An insult to the finest beverage coming from a person who's only tasted bottom shelf, therefore rendering your judgment in this matter useless.

if this guy can run crysis 2 with DX11 high res texture at 60 fps with 5850 on crosfire i am very sure we can run bf3 at ultra high setting without SAO and some tweaks with 2 5850, remember new drivers coming out and frosbyte2 works really well on sli and crosfire cards, thats i heard from a developer on twitter

link to the video of playing crysis 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdzMtxCNeo

An insult to the finest beverage coming from a person who's only tasted bottom shelf, therefore rendering your judgment in this matter useless.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Actually, to get the best, you do need the latest CPU clocked to the max, because that is what's best. You can get away with a lot less, I'd say down to about as far as a stock Sandy bridge or mildly overclocked Lynnfield. Something like a 3.0-3.4Ghz i5 750 / i7 920. Core 2s and Phenom 2s don't really cut it for crossfire/SLI in the top titles any more.

Honestly, the 68xx series are horrible with microstutter UNLESS you go tri-fire with a 6870 + 6870x2.

www.tomshardware.com for the microstutter article

I would upgrade to a 6950 instead

Honestly, the 68xx series are horrible with microstutter UNLESS you go tri-fire with a 6870 + 6870x2.

www.tomshardware.com for the microstutter article

I would upgrade to a 6950 instead

I have both a 6870 crossfire and 6950 crossfire and have yet to experience microstutter with either setup. For another $160, I would add a second 6870 to your setup.

In any case, microstutter is going to get worse with 3 cards, not better. It's only going to become less visible due to a higher frame rate.

Wait until BF3 comes out, see how your 6870 does solo, and then decide. Some people can be happy with less-than-ultra settings (myself included), which will still look phenomenal on BF3.

I'm wating to see if I can get a 6950 toxic, else I will xfire a 6870. Looking at the games coming out and with mods. It's looking like 2 gig VRAM will be needed for 1080p. I do plan on going sandy bridge this December when I have extra time, so I'll upgrade mobo then. Grad School takes up a shit load of time. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Back