Crappy Quality, Crappy File?

d34dly

2[H]4U
Ok so I just got a new sound system...

YHT-450

Anyway... movies seem to sound ok but music is just horrible sometimes. Mostly from MP3's. IT sounds scratchy sometimes, and just plain doesn't sound good.

Could this be...

A) bad MP3 quality
B) too much software (winamp w/ plugins, Creative Crap)
C) something else

I am betting it's not the system seeing as it's Yamaha (I always thought they made good stuff), and other things (movies) sound awesome.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It also seems like I am pushing the volume up on the reciever just to get good loud sound. Could the reciever be underpowering and I am clipping somehow? If so any solution?

I would turn up the volume control in windows to atleast 80. Also remeber that the Yammy uses a log scale for the volume. Every 10dB increase is double the previous volume. (80db is 2x more volume than 70db) Also try ripping a CD at higher bitrates, 192kbps atleast, 256kbps is better.

well a couple things:
Mister X(i think) recently posted about master volume levels in windows, and I'd say keep your master volume to like 50-60%(although I don't know what kind of sound card you have).

Have you tried hooking a real cd player up to it?

What's the bitrate on your mp3s?

Try playing a lossless file type instead of and mp3 and see how it sounds

It does like clipping but its very hard to tell if the files are the problem or the Audigy is.
Master volume at no higher then 60% will help.
What decoder are you using for winamp?
I would suggest Foobar as the player and that you all of the files with replaygain so you can rule out the files being the problem.

Back