Crappy Overclock with my X2 3800+

aldy402

2[H]4U
wow this sucks, im contemplating whether or not I should exchange this for another one at newegg.com or not.Im running the STOCK HSF with AS5.

these are the results, keep in mind im also running 2 instances of prime on both cores to ensure stability

stock voltage - 230fsb - errors after 11 minutes - 45-47C full load
1.37v - 240 - fine, never tested in prime for more then 10 minutes 47-48C full load
1.37v - 245 - errors in 30 secs -47-48C full load
1.39V - good at 245 , errored in 10 minutes when going higher

this to me is a CRAPPY overclock, what should I do? should I exchange for another 1 at newegg? Or is it my stock HSF holding me back? I really doubt that since the temps aren't really that high

You can always try giving it more voltage- the X2 isn't like a magic Opteron. For trying to get a gain of 650 MHz, you're barely giving it any voltage over stock. Depending on temps, I would pump up the voltage to 1.425v or 1.45v. A better cooler would help loads in this department.

What's the stepping on the CPU? Are you following Eclipse's guide on OC? If you got the 3800+ for overclocking, I'd seriously suggest upgrading the heatsink and follow the guide. Some CPUs suck at OC, I don't know if Newegg tests their CPUs but if it works when they get it then I doubt you'll get another 3800+

ok MORE voltage, keep in mind this is following Eclipse's guide and testing methods

1.4v - errors at 247
1.47 - errors at 250
1.52 errors at 255

temps go over 54-58c under full load

this sucks

Im all the way at 1.52 and i cant even do 2.6

aldy402 said:
ok MORE voltage, keep in mind this is following Eclipse's guide and testing methods

1.4v - errors at 247
1.47 - errors at 250
1.52 errors at 255

this sucks

Sounds very similar to my chip...

I could not oc until I dropped my HTT to 4. Now I can get 2.41ghz easy.

u guys think a xp-120 or a sythe ninja would help with stability?
probably not right?

Loosen your memory overclock???Run it at 200 instead of 217, or 166...

these are the results of a 100mhz 1:2 ram divider
the memory is running under 200mhz

i made sure the memory wasnt a factor
I dont know where else to turn, im jealous of everybodys OCs

Have you tested to see what is the max fsb you can run with your board and memory?

yes my memory was on a divider while testing it was at 100mhz 1:2 so thats definetly not a factor

and my max fsb on my board is 330 so thats definetly not a factor

Drop that HTT multiplier to 4x if you are going over 200fsb, at 250fsb or higher, drop it to 3x....

If you are running a stock 5x HTT at 230fsb, it's no wonder you are having errors in Prime....

aldy402 said:
u guys think a xp-120 or a sythe ninja would help with stability?
probably not right?

Yes, those temps are getting kinda warm...my chip gets flakey starting about 55c....aim for a max load, worst case temp of 50c to 53c. That would be using both cores in dual Prime sessions at 100% load to give you that figure...

So you're bitching about 2.5GHz at 1.52V?

I have to push 1.584V to reach 2547MHz on my Venice. If you can hit 2.6GHz at less than 1.6V, be happy.

aldy402 said:

1.4v - errors at 247
1.47 - errors at 250
1.52 errors at 255

this sucks

I'd spend some more $$$ and buy a new HSF, until then man i wouldnt complain.

2.5GHz w/ the stock heatsink is no small feat. But of course, if you can dish out the $50 for a better cooler, you should be able to top 2.6GHz with less voltage.

Get the SI-120 and a Panaflo fan. You can get them at http://www.svc.com for under $60, I believe.

temps are far too high.. you can probably get an extra 50-75mhz out of the same voltage by getting a better heatsaink, and extend the life of your cpu significantly

The best soloution would be just to sell it to me and try again!!!

No seriously, im shopping right now

Dew said:
So you're bitching about 2.5GHz at 1.52V?

I have to push 1.584V to reach 2547MHz on my Venice. If you can hit 2.6GHz at less than 1.6V, be happy.

yes im bitching, you should be bitching too
as we're both unlucky

Bona Fide said:
2.5GHz w/ the stock heatsink is no small feat. But of course, if you can dish out the $50 for a better cooler, you should be able to top 2.6GHz with less voltage.

Get the SI-120 and a Panaflo fan. You can get them at http://www.svc.com for under $60, I believe.

how is the si-120 anyways? i've been looking at it and it seems intriguing but its basically a toned down version of the xp-120. how does it cool as compared to the xp-120?

Fully_Sik said:
I'd spend some more $$$ and buy a new HSF, until then man i wouldnt complain.

ok I just orderd a si-120 and when it comes, ill post the new results

you can also try removing the IHS from the x2 it seems to help alot. when i did my temps were @ 50c with 1.52 volts and running @2.6 but after i removed it i can run it with 1.58 volts with a max load temp of 52c and @ 2.85.

it was one of the best mods i have ever done. :D

sorta makes me glad that im not buying a x2, decided to get dothan instead , i guess the best way to get a good cpu is to get one from someone who has a crapload of cpus that they buy/oc, my friend has over $1000 worth of dothans laying around his room/office :eek:

same way i got my 3.2e and max3, :p

i cant even imagine what the X2 consumes at 1.60v, crazy my prescott consumes about 170 watts at 1.575v and it starts off at 1.32v i think and 89 watts :eek:

I was thinking about removing my IHS, but it's not worth the effort for performance I wouldn't notice anyway.

KaptainBlaZzed said:
you can also try removing the IHS from the x2 it seems to help alot. when i did my temps were @ 50c with 1.52 volts and running @2.6 but after i removed it i can run it with 1.58 volts with a max load temp of 52c and @ 2.85.

it was one of the best mods i have ever done. :D

got any pics?

what would you like a picture of. I have screen shots but no actual pictures of the process but there are some nice threads over at XS describing the process.

you just need a double sided razor, one of the old ones that are very thin and some patients and BALLS, tape off the razor so only about 3-4mm of it is showing so you can not cut too deep and press it in all 4 sides starting with the corners. I did not slide the edge of the razor through the epoxy because this increases the chance of cutting the PCB I just forced it straight in on all 4 sides and then i used a box cutter to pop it off when all sides were cut.

check out this thread at XS IHS removal

KaptainBlaZzed said:
what would you like a picture of. I have screen shots but no actual pictures of the process but there are some nice threads over at XS describing the process.

you just need a double sided razor, one of the old ones that are very thin and some patients and BALLS, tape off the razor so only about 3-4mm of it is showing so you can not cut too deep and press it in all 4 sides starting with the corners. I did not slide the edge of the razor through the epoxy because this increases the chance of cutting the PCB I just forced it straight in on all 4 sides and then i used a box cutter to pop it off when all sides were cut.

check out this thread at XS IHS removal

dude its a pretty intense DIY that I just don;t have the balls to attempt

Back