-------12.0GB Ram
-------Win 7 64bit
-------Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower(High Air Flow) Computer case
5 Cooling fans(Red and Blue LED)
-------ASUS Rampage 3 Formula Motherboard-----------------
Features
LGA1366 socket for Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition / Core i7 Processor
Triple-channel, DDR3 2200(O.C.) Support
Extreme Engine Digi+ - Powerful combination of analog and digital design elements
ROG Connect - Plug and Overclock, Tweak it the hardcore way!
-------SupremeFX X-Fi 2 Built-in - Play with ultra-real cinematic in-game surround sound!
-------Includes USB 3.0
-------3 Way SLI Ready
-------Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
-------Samsung DVD-RW drive
-------ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card(3D Ready)
-------1000 Watt Power Supply

Although at 5 fans running, its a silent pc.

He wants $1500 but I was going to offer him $1000 cash...good deal?

This is appealing only because I don't want to build but you guys are right about the sandy bridge.
This motherboard is the first gen i7 right?

If you could get it for around $900, you surely wouldn't be getting a bad deal. You could run it in this config for a while, overclock the snot of out it, then sell off the 1366 socket gear and buy newer components at a later date.

$900 at most. $1000 to $1500 is a bit of a ripoff.

Why even pay 900$ for an outdated system? Sure it was an expensive build in its heyday but now it is outdated... that's alot to pay for a used system!

Check this 950 vs 2600k benchmark comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=287

This is just at stock speed, it's a joke to take a 2600k up to in the 4.1-4.5ghz range, and supposedly ~50% of 2600ks can make it to 4.5ghz on air. Seems as if a pretty good OC for a 950 is 4 ghz... and who knows what OC this build can stably achieve. Typical 2600k OC is probably going to average 500 mhz more. In addition if you want to save 100 bucks the 2500k is going to perform almost identically in the majority of situations.

On top of all this, you're saddled with a single ti 560 in that build. Is that the route you wanted to go? Would you consider adding another TI 560 or would you be more interested in other cards?

If you still want the system I think you need to think about lowering your offer, this is a USED system from 2009 with a midrange graphics card from 2011 dropped in it. I think you should offer at the level to get this out the door at $750 if you still want it.

Who cares about the performance compared to SB. The point for the OP is whether or not he is getting a "good" deal. The best thing to do is price everything individually.

CPU: $180
RAM: $75
Case: $130
Motherboard: $180
HSF: $35
Optical drive: $15
Video card: $185
PSU: Since he doesn't specify a brand or model, I'm thinking $85
Case fans: $20

Adding up everything yields $990 or ~$1k. If you could somehow manage to bargain him down to $950 or $900, then you would have a nice deal.

Id say its a deal for someone who is too lazy to build their own, I'm all for someone putting in the work to make $$ off of it for convenience sake. Gotta realize its a deal compared to the Dells and Alienwares out there. But personally, I have been building my own since the 90's and would never touch a prebuilt.

So are you going to be running Ubuntu off a live cd or something?

I wouldn't want to buy all of someone elses RMA problems.

I say no deal. I just tried to assemble a new i5 2500k rig to match prices, and you will get a much nicer pc for 1k$.

No way, $1500. No way.

Offer $750 and work up from there. It's used, after all... and it's electronics which degrade in value very quickly, good argument points ;)

Is the OS legit? That is kind of important in this instance. Check it out first

It's old tech, don't waste your time on old tech. Unless you think you can get a great deal and were willing to spend the time to part it out for a good profit.

Not even for $900 id build 1 before I spend $900 on a used craigslist pc. Thats just asking for issues.

Why even pay 900$ for an outdated system? Sure it was an expensive build in its heyday but now it is outdated...

uhhh, did I miss something and LGA 2011 is available for sale?

AFAIK 1366 is still the flagship platform, more PCIe bandwidth etc etc

please correct me if I missed something

uhhh, did I miss something and LGA 2011 is available for sale?

AFAIK 1366 is still the flagship platform, more PCIe bandwidth etc etc

please correct me if I missed something

LGA 1366 is technically still the flagship product. However it's been outperformed in terms of CPU power by the LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge CPUs. That's probably why people are saying it's outdated.

The extra PCI-E lanes only comes in handy if you're planning on using more than two video cards and/or multiple hardware RAID controllers. For the average gamer, they really don't need the 24GB RAM capability offered by the LGA1366 platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back