Crackdown 2

PainInverter

Limp Gawd
Demo was released yesterday... anyone else give it a go? What's you opinions?

As much as I loved the first Crackdown, I'm a little torn on C2 for various reasons, yet drawn to it's improvements.

It's a weird mix of good visuals with horrid, out-dated visuals, which I don't understand, because the tech is there and the 360 can more than handle things such as Gears of War etc. They really could, and should, have done more with the general environment and explosions, in particular.

There are some other things that look better in C2 than in C1, but I just see no reason why they'd look at this as a whole and feel happy with the overall visual quality. Visuals might "not be everything", but they're an extremely important part of gaming, obviously, for immersion and general enjoyment factor.

The gameplay definitely seems far more fun (though a little hard to tell with a short timed demo), with the many different weapons and what they can do etc., but though general it feels good, movement and free-aiming can sometimes feel a bit wonky. Still, a lot more action, which while maybe repetitive, seems like it could be a lot of fun.

Not expecting much of a story, and know there weren't giving much of one, because it's all about the action, which is great. So I think for me the two issues are the slight wonkiness to the controls at times, but more-so, the visuals. There have been some improvements, as show here (though the author thought there was a layer of texture missing, but his own screens show otherwise; much more detail): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crackdown2-demo-blog-entry.

In-game, however, most of the environment looks extremely dated, and the explosions/fire look friggin' terrible. They couldn't have pushed at least with those "small" things? I don't get it.

So, while the gameplay might be fun, especially with all the freaks outside at night (sort of feels like playing Dead Rising) and not all the visuals are horrid (the freaks themselves look good, as do you and the detailed armored vehicles), I don't know... find myself a little torn.

What do you think... anyone else try it and have any thoughts/opinions?

Edit:

Another visual comparison, for those interested: http://www.bitmob.com/articles/crackdown-1-vs-crackdown-2-panoramic-graphics-comparison.

First page, it almost appears that C1 has more detail in ways, but second page seems the opposite. Sort of like the comparisons made in the first URL. Odd that they wouldn't have a consistent level of improvement in the visuals. In ways, it looks worse than the first game, and there's really no excuse for that.

Makes me all-the-more on the fence, and I've been waiting for C2 a long time.

Last edited:
Looks like shit. Why would I want to play a sequel to a slightly above average free-roam game in the same city as the original, only uglier? If I felt like playing around in a drab city, I'd give the second path on Infamous a go.

Saints Row 2 recycled its city, but that game had the advantages of a hilarious plot, awesome mini-games, and the best overall gameplay of the GTA-style subset of free-roaming games. If Crackdown 1 is any indication, Crackdown won't have any of those advantages.

It's sad to see them being so incredibly lazy. This game was on my radar because the first was amusing enough, but I hadn't bothered to learn anything about it until now. Rather than delivering a sequel that is bigger and better in every way, it looks like they fucked up the positive aspects of the first game.

:eek: I'm shocked by some of the responses. Crackdown is one of the best games this generation on any platform.

Played the shit out of the first one, and while I was playing the demo I kept thinking everything looked familiar. Ha didn't realize that it's the same city, thats kind of shitty.

i'll have to grab the demo.

I did enjoy the first one a lot! loved the upgrades to vehicles.

Loved the first one. This one seems to be even better. I can't even count the amount of time I spent in the first one collecting the various orbs...one of the best free roam games ever made, and still a title I recommend to anyone who has a 360 and hasn't checked it out yet.

I for one, can't wait for Crackdown 2.

I'll look into it, try the demo, see how the reviews go. I'm not going to base my judgement off of graphics alone. The first one wasn't that jaw-dropping to begin with, but for me, Crackdown 1 provided many more hours of entertainment than GTA4 has.

Well, there's no real point in comparing almost anything to GTA IV, given it's astounding quality in all aspects.

However, if they were going to recycle the city but add a huge amount of gameplay changes to truly enhance the game, the least they could have done would have been to push the limits of the visuals.

Certainly, graphics aren't "everything", but the visuals do add to the immersion and enjoyability of any game, especially a game like this which is basically not meant to have much of a story or plot, and is simply about the action.

Hell, even if it were a brand new city, these graphics would be unacceptable for the most part. We're in a new generation so, I'm sorry, but I don't care how fun the gameplay is, I don't personally know anyone at this point who could stand playing/looking at a game that looked like this, at this point.

Unfortunate, considering there's a good amount added to the gameplay, including co-op, that could have made it an all-out blast-fest for you and your friends (and in my case, even my wife), but it just looks so damned miserable.

Gotta say, they really screwed the pooch with what amounts to a "reboot" of the first Crackdown, which could have otherwise perhaps ended up being worth it, if they didn't botch the damn graphics so badly. Just no excuse in this day and age... no one wants to look at the visuals of original Xbox anymore, and it doesn't satisfy, regardless of the gameplay.

I might try to give it another shot, go through the demo a couple more times, see if I can "swallow" it at all and what else the gameplay has to offer (though hard to tell with a timed demo), but I think this just ended up being one more game to scratch from this year's list, which is happening too often in recent years.

Seems like every year it's getting worse...

...having a list of games you're looking forward to, and most end up being a bad console port, bad console game, PC games/versions having bad DRM, either platform having some horrid visuals or gameplay...

...and makes the list shorter. Getting worse every year. Devs are getting lazy, with the exceptions of those who really go all-out, like with GTA IV, Mass Effect 2, Gears of War, and upcoming titles like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Rage etc. ...now THOSE are games, and their creators will be rewarded for their efforts.

Ruffian should be embarrassed.

Downloaded the demo but have yet to play it. I loved the first game but the driving was boring as hell (and usually hurts more than it helps) and some of the rooftop races were not very fun because it takes too many trials to figure out the correct path.

Played the demo, it's absolutely terrible. Basically they took a game that already had mediocre visuals YEARS ago, made it look even worse, and added a bunch of zombies. Pure fail.

The demo is not fun at all. Cars handle worse than I remember them handling last time, when you fire the gun the camera zooms into an awkward view that has the angle too low, and you can barely jump at all. Bad idea to have a demo with a completely unpowered character.

I was thinking about giving it a shot at the $10-$20 price point it will quickly reach, but I have absolutely zero interest in this game after playing the demo. If it were given to me free, it wouldn't even be worth the time to play it.

First one was awful, how the hell did it get a sequel? It's like a combination of saints row, and suck....lots of suck. Seriously, it was just terrible. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it is not a good game.

First one was awful, how the hell did it get a sequel? It's like a combination of saints row, and suck....lots of suck. Seriously, it was just terrible. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it is not a good game.

I would say you're in the minority on that, I've met very few people who didn't like the first one. Even if you didn't play the story and just went around as an agent killing innocents and causing destruction it was a good time. Opinions vary and I respect yours but I think your comments are rare.

I would say you're in the minority on that, I've met very few people who didn't like the first one. Even if you didn't play the story and just went around as an agent killing innocents and causing destruction it was a good time. Opinions vary and I respect yours but I think your comments are rare.

Fair enough. Had I played it back when it first came out, my opinion might be different. However, I just played through it about a month ago, and it felt terribly shallow and the graphics were just about the worst I've seen on the 360. After having played some true masterpieces of the genre such as RDR, SR2, GTA4, Just Cause 2, it just doesn't hold a candle. If the second is more of the same, which it sounds like it is, only worse, then I don't predict a stellar gameplay experience. That being said, I'm a total sandbox game whore, and I'll still play through it...then come on here to bitch about how awful it was :D

Loved the first one and have had this sequel on pre-order for a month. I have 10/10 on the achievements from the demo so I'm pumped for this to get here. Still wish your vehicles leveled with you by morphing like they did in the first and the locking-on system can be annoying sometimes as its not always easy to switch targets.

Fair enough. Had I played it back when it first came out, my opinion might be different. However, I just played through it about a month ago, and it felt terribly shallow and the graphics were just about the worst I've seen on the 360. After having played some true masterpieces of the genre such as RDR, SR2, GTA4, Just Cause 2, it just doesn't hold a candle. If the second is more of the same, which it sounds like it is, only worse, then I don't predict a stellar gameplay experience. That being said, I'm a total sandbox game whore, and I'll still play through it...then come on here to bitch about how awful it was :D

Right on, isn't that how we all do it? Why else is there a gaming section in this forum? :D

I'm seeing a lot of hate for this games graphics. I dont understand why? I think the first game looked great and the second looks just as good.

You guys do realise that both games are supposed to have a cartoony look right? Borderlands uses the same style.

Still. The demo is fun. Though i am disappointed that the city is the same. I like exploring the cities in sandbox games. I explored the shit out of the first game but judging by the demo i won't be doing much of that. I hope the campaign is good and long else i'll be giving the second game a miss till its budget priced.

Loved the first one but the demo shows that it has not improved any of the issues that the first one had. This is more like an add on than anything.

I'll pick this one up for $12.99 someday just like I did with the first one.

I definitely got thirteen dollars and change worth of enjoyment out of Crackdown.

I really liked the first one (I still have to collect the remaining orbs), but I'm seeing so many mixed things about the sequel. Sounds like some people are disappointed, but I haven't read to many impressions yet, from regular gamers on various message boards.

If you enjoyed doing crazy stuff and orb-hunting in the first game, then you'll absolutely enjoy the sequel. The mixed feelings are just a magnification of those same feelings from the first title, but with the added "oomph" that goes along with a very "samey" type of experience.

Been playing this for the last few days, some disjointed thoughts...

• Graphics are better on some things worse on other - not a deal breaker

• If you like jumping around like a monkey with a rocket launcher and watching things go boom - this is your game

• 4 player co-op - absolutely positively a blast, adds something I thought the last one was missing

• Running over Freaks in a car is fun - all the time, every time

• Not really any different than Crackdown 1 where gameplay is concerned. That's a negative for sure. I liked the gang takeover aspect of the last one better. If this had come out a year or two ago, I don't think it would have been ragged on so hard. 3 years later, kinda lame but still fun to play

• The map needs a manually set waypoint function, doesn't have a full screen view, and does an annoying flashy-icon-pingy-noise thing on your current objective allllllll the time - bad, annoying, stupid oversights.

• The narrator repeats himself very quickly, over and over, with 0 variety: Turrets, achievements, peace keeper frags, citizen frags, when you set a light bomb off, all of it - 100% annoying, you've heard every quote within the first 2 hours.

• The game has almost no innovation over the last title, besides adding 4 player co-op, and takes a step back in areas like mission variety. Bottom lining it, I like playing it as much as the first one, and it's a blast to play with friends. If you hated Crackdown 1, you'll hate this too, possibly worse, for different reasons.
If you don't have Gamefly yet, and you need a good reason to try it out, a game like this is a perfect reason to do that. All of the enjoyment, none of the "this isn't living up to my $60 expectations" crap that people get so hung up on.

I can agree with all of that, but I still just have fun playing it, some more side mission type stuff would really round it out though, taking back the contested tactical points and freak dens is just not enough and is made unnecessarily painful due to the map and radar scale.

The driving mechanics suck bad but when you are running down hordes of freaks and power sliding through them you cant help but have fun.

this game should have definitely come out sooner, they didnt do anything but re-build a different city and place orbs.

good murderous fun, imo.

Back