CPU overheating with waterblock.

Hey all, I just rebuilt my desktop with an MSI X99A SLI PLUS motherboard with a 5960X and I have the 5960X on a big custom loop with a 360x88 Monsta from Alphacool and two 120's (Two GPU's also in the loop and two ram banks)

I have come across a really strange issue where I can't seem for the life of me to get good temperatures on the CPU. I tested this setup out of the case and the 5960X could easily hit 4.7GHz on a nice low 1.31V. On the bench, I was using a 240MM AIO liquid cooler and was seeing temps of around 85C on the hottest core with Aida64 burning it in over a period of 2 hours+.

Now with the open loop and an Aqua Computer NEXT block, I'm seeing temps as high as 105C in Aida64 with the exact same voltages and BIOS settings. At first, I was thinking maybe it was an air pocket in the CPU block or something like that so I let the system bleed and kept tilting the case to ensure all the bubbles worked themselves out. After further testing, I kept having the same exact issues, so I decided to pull it apart and re-paste the CPU thinking that surely had to be the issue. Sadly it wasn't as I was getting the same results afterward. I then decided it might be an issue with pressure so I adjusted the pressure of the block on the CPU over and over with no luck there either.

After all of this, I decided it might be something wrong with the water block so I switched it out for another one that I had laying around the house which was an Enzotech Stealth with their own 2011 mounting kit. Back into windows for testing again and the SAME issues were happening, 95-105C on the hottest cores.

At this point, I started a deep investigation and concluded that maybe the CPU hold down latch was a hair above the IHS of the CPU and that it was keeping the block from making proper contact. These hold down latches are very close to the same height of these CPU's IHS's and maybe the testing I had done with the AIO's small cold plate was just small enough to fit in between the retention mechanism. So I took the machine apart again and removed the whole hold down mechanism and mounted the CPU via the pressure of the water block, now I know for a fact that the block is making contact with the IHS because the system is able to post and work fine. I know the CPU has to have a fair amount of pressure on it to even make good contact with the pins so now I know for a fact the IHS has contact with the water block.

Booted into windows again only to find out the same issues were happening again....

I am at a loss as I have absolutely no idea how this could even be possible for me to be getting such a high temp with such a low voltage on a big open loop with high-end water blocks. Not to mention how well it did with a freaking 240MM AIO cooler.

Some final things to mention
-My two GTX 1080 Ti's both sit in the low 40C range during stress testing them, so they're acting normal-
-I'm monitoring my coolant temperatures and they are all perfectly acceptable in the 32-36C range-
-I'm also monitoring my coolant flow with an Aqua Computer flow meter hooked up to my Aqua Computer Aquaero 5 Pro, the pump is moving coolant just fine-

Thank you in advance for any advice.

I wonder if the mb is maybe causing the temps to be misreported for some reason? Do you think the socket may have gotten wet in between swaps? Do you have a spare mb to test with by chance?
It just doesnt make sense...2x1080tis are solid as a rock but the cpu is ridiculously hot. its the cpu or the mb obviously but what is wrong has me stumped.

How do temps look idle, and do you have temps from the AIO at idle to compare it against?

Does it the CPU start throttling, or will it keep trucking at 105?

Do you still have the AIO to confirm the temps with that?

Its likely the contact plate,

but if you heat up coolant first with your GPU's, well it may be getting hot coolant to deal with.

I wonder if the mb is maybe causing the temps to be misreported for some reason? Do you think the socket may have gotten wet in between swaps? Do you have a spare mb to test with by chance?
It just doesnt make sense...2x1080tis are solid as a rock but the cpu is ridiculously hot. its the cpu or the mb obviously but what is wrong has me stumped.

Mobo definitely didn't get wet between swaps as I'm very careful when doing these things. Yeah maybe I can try a different motherboard or something, I think I have an MSI Godlike x99 board at work I could just throw in temporarily to test with.

How do temps look idle, and do you have temps from the AIO at idle to compare it against?

Does it the CPU start throttling, or will it keep trucking at 105?

Do you still have the AIO to confirm the temps with that?

The idle temps seem a bit high to me also, if I remember right I was seeing high 30's to low 40's here and there, some cores even shooting to 50C for a sec at "idle"
Well right when it hit 105C the test just stopped and errored out completely, didn't wanna keep it at such a hot temp for anything more than a few seconds.
I have that AIO at work so I could grab it again.

Its likely the contact plate,

but if you heat up coolant first with your GPU's, well it may be getting hot coolant to deal with.

You mean the contact plate on the water block?

The coolant getting hot for the CPU isn't really a factor because the coolant in these open loop systems heat up gradually and as a whole, you don't really get differences between components.

are you running reverse flow? (cpu blocks normally have an in/out)

I've checked and I had correct flow correct on both blocks, still even then I don't think reverse flow would make a cpu on that voltage hit over 100C.

You got me there - interested to see what you find.

Sounds like the loop is fine. I would have bet some physical issue with the waterblocks but couldn’t say what exactly.

I've checked and I had correct flow correct on both blocks, still even then I don't think reverse flow would make a cpu on that voltage hit over 100C.
water bypassing the fins entirely depending on how they set it up. That said, I somehow glazed over the fact you tried 2 blocks so I doubt it's a fin issue.

Ihs issue? Try a stock cooler or cheap air tower to test?

water bypassing the fins entirely depending on how they set it up. That said, I somehow glazed over the fact you tried 2 blocks so I doubt it's a fin issue.

Ihs issue? Try a stock cooler or cheap air tower to test?

Yeah I think I'm gonna try the AIO again to make sure it still has the same results it did last time and that nothing changed.

Back