CPU for on the fly transcoding

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
I was looking into creating my own NAS. I even had my eye on a AMD E-350 based board, but I want the server to be able to transcode 1080p video.

From reading around here, it looks like that board wouldn't be powerful enough.

What level (type) CPU roughly do I need to be able to be capable of transcoding but also with relatively low power consumption when it idles?

I haven't tried it, but I would assume an i3-2100 build would be powerful enough for that. If you live close to a Micro Center, you can get the 2100 for ~$100, and they often have a deal involving a MSI H61 mATX board for another ~$20 or so. One time the board was even free.

The 2100T is rated at a lower wattage, but they both idle at the same. Unless you need the slimmer cooler on the 2100T, it's not worth the extra $30 or whatever for it.

P4s can transcode on the fly, it just won't look very good. Can you be more specific in your needs?

P4s can transcode on the fly, it just won't look very good. Can you be more specific in your needs?

Well that's the issue. Until I really have one to play with, I don't know exactly what formats i'm going to use.

I do know that I have an xbox I'd like to serve, so I believe I need to transcode to WMV's and then I believe my TV takes h.264.

Back